Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Sep 26, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #3,121 of 13,434
  Hi all,

Sometimes you buy a tube that does not have the manufacturers name on it, but some letters are visible. I just found a little guide that identifies US manufacturers that made tubes for the military - JAN (or Joint Army and Navy tubes). May come in handy:

"Most tubes found today are ex-military, and carry Joint Army-Navy (JAN) designations in either a long form or an abbreviated version ahead of the tube type number. The known makers are: GE (JAN-CG or JG); Hytron (JAN-CHY or JHY); Raytheon (JAN-CRP or JRP); RCA (JAN-CRC or JRC); Sonotone (JAN-COZ or JOZ); Tung-Sol (JAN-CTL or JTL); Westinghouse (JAN-CWL or JWL)."

So, if you find a 6AK5 tube where you only can read the letters CG, you know it is a GE tube; a JTL tube means it is made by Tung-Sol etc..

Hope this is helpful in identifying tubes.

Found this from page 26 got my answer thanks mordy 

Sep 26, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #3,122 of 13,434
Also today got my Russian 6N6PiR tubes ordered on 3 september 2013 you gotta put the year its veryyy... slowwwww... Could they be warmer sounding a bit! i like them especially the price come out to about $20.00 each. From 03/1989

Sep 26, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #3,123 of 13,434
If you are interested in following Audiofanboy into the strange new world of double triodes, you will need a pair of socket adapters/savers in order to disconnect pins 6 and 7 and reroute them to pins 1 and 2 respectively.

You can obtain suitable socket adapters/savers here for only $5.00 each:

http://www.radiodaze.com/product/15450.aspx

Happy tube rolling! :)

Sep 26, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #3,124 of 13,434
Also today got my Russian 6N6PiR tubes ordered on 3 september 2013 you gotta put the year its veryyy... slowwwww... Could they be warmer sounding a bit! i like them especially the price come out to about $20.00 each. From 03/1989

I bought the exact same tubes mine seem to have a bit more glow over the standard ones. It looks a lot more better aesthetically speaking

Sep 26, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #3,125 of 13,434
  If you are interested in following Audiofanboy into the strange new world of double triodes, you will need a pair of socket adapters/savers in order to disconnect pins 6 and 7 and reroute them to pins 1 and 2 respectively.

You can obtain suitable socket adapters/savers here for only $5.00 each:

http://www.radiodaze.com/product/15450.aspx

Thanks ordered some will try it out . The kind of tubes that work with this is the ecc88 tubes are they others !

Sep 26, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #3,126 of 13,434

Thanks ordered some will try it out . The kind of tubes that work with this is the ecc88 tubes are they others !

And it might be a good idea to get a bunch of these. One pair could be modified to connect pins 1-7, a second pair to connect pins 2-7 and a third pair to connect pins 5-7. This is what I have done, and never having to fiddle with strapping and jumpers is sweet. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Getting back to double triodes....

For those who are suffering from sticker shock at the prices of 6DJ8 / ECC88, there are some other options that are often less expensive....

As we have seen in other tube families, there are Russian equivalents, the 6N1P and the 6N23P. Searching Google, the 6N1P doesn't seem to get much love, but the 6N23P seems to be pretty good.

And there is a rather strange variant, the 7DJ8 / PCC88. Instead of 6.3 volts, this tube is 7 volts. With only a bit less than a 1 volt difference, this tube can usually be used in place of the 6.3 volt version. And given all the strange tubes we have been sticking into our Little Dots, I see no reason why this shouldn't work just fine,

And finally, there is 6BQ7A / 6BZ7 / ECC180. This tube is similar to the 6DF8 / ECC88 and is often used as a substitute. On the Schiit Tube Rolling threads, here on head-fi,  these tubes have been getting some very positive reviews, and they are often quite cheap.

Sep 26, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #3,127 of 13,434

And it might be a good idea to get a bunch of these. One pair could be modified to connect pins 1-7, a second pair to connect pins 2-7 and a third pair to connect pins 5-7. This is what I have done, and never having to fiddle with strapping and jumpers is sweet. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Getting back to double triodes....

For those who are suffering from sticker shock at the prices of 6DJ8 / ECC88, there are some other options that are often less expensive....

As we have seen in other tube families, there are Russian equivalents, the 6N1P and the 6N23P. Searching Google, the 6N1P doesn't seem to get much love, but the 6N23P seems to be pretty good.

And there is a rather strange variant, the 7DJ8 / PCC88. Instead of 6.3 volts, this tube is 7 volts. With only a bit less than a 1 volt difference, this tube can usually be used in place of the 6.3 volt version. And given all the strange tubes we have been sticking into our Little Dots, I see no reason why this shouldn't work just fine,

And finally, there is 6BQ7A / 6BZ7 / ECC180. This tube is similar to the 6DF8 / ECC88 and is often used as a substitute. On the Schiit Tube Rolling threads, here on head-fi,  these tubes have been getting some very positive reviews, and they are often quite cheap.

you do need 2 double triodes right because i tought i read only one was used you say to disconnect pins 6and 7 on socket adaptor and connect 1 and 7 instead right and you do this to both adaptors .Correct me if i am wrong thanks.

Sep 26, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #3,128 of 13,434
   you do need 2 double triodes right because i tought i read only one was used you say to disconnect pins 6and 7 on socket adaptor and connect 1 and 7 instead right and you do this to both adaptors .Correct me if i am wrong thanks.

You might want to take another look at Audiofanboy's posting:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/3045#post_9830528

He purchased two ECC88 tubes and two socket adapers. In order to use both tubes, it is necessary to disassemble two socket adapters, disconnect pins 6 and 7 and then reroute them to pins 1 and 2, respectively.

Edit: And yes, even though each tube has two triodes, in this configuration, only one triode in each tube is used.

The reason I suggested getting a bunch of these was to more easily allow the use of the various triodes (5-7), pentodes (2-7) and heptodes (1-7) that we have been using up to now. Since you have already purchased custom socket adapters, you will probably only want to buy just two of these adapters to modify for use with double triodes.

Sep 26, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #3,131 of 13,434
  You might want to take another look at Audiofanboy's posting:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/3045#post_9830528

He purchased two ECC88 tubes and two socket adapers. In order to use both tubes, it is necessary to disassemble two socket adapters, disconnect pins 6 and 7 and then reroute them to pins 1 and 2, respectively.

Edit: And yes, even though each tube has two triodes, in this configuration, only one triode in each tube is used.

The reason I suggested getting a bunch of these was to more easily allow the use of the various triodes (5-7), pentodes (2-7) and heptodes (1-7) that we have been using up to now. Since you have already purchased custom socket adapters, you will probably only want to buy just two of these adapters to modify for use with double triodes.

Its true those 6BQ7A are cheap will order some RCA less than$5.00 each shipping included.Those ECC88 dough very expensive!

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #3,132 of 13,434
Nice!
Those Green AKG's are some bright though, too much colour bias...
biggrin.gif

haha! i love them. they look great next to my bright red ATH-M50's on my desk!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back