Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Aug 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #2,491 of 13,434
After about 28 hours, these Tung Sol 6TD6 are some seriously good tubes. Going by memory, they remind me of the Tung-Sol 6485, with great bass, effortless treble detail and clear vocals that seem to be etched in space. I need to spend some time directly comparing them with the 6485, and further, since these can be strapped 1-7, I feel strongly that I should try them in that configuration too.... Thinking about how that might sound is very intriguing.....

Dedicated to all bargain finders and sonic thrill seekers on this forum:

Bought a pair of 6DT6 RCA {hereafter called dtox}  tubes very cheap ($4.40 incl shipping.)  After some 20 hours on EF95 1/7 setting, they sound exactly as described above, with another addition:  an e x t r e m e l y  W - I - D- E  sound stage. Wow! They even beat the current sound stage champion Sylvania.

These tubes are plentiful and cheap, and are highly recommended.  A top tier tube for a song. -No need to scrounge around for them furrin Siemens/Valvo/Zaerix/Lorenz high prized and difficult to find tubes!

Go dtox!

Would like to hear from others how u find these tubes......
happy_face1.gif

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #2,492 of 13,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Bought a pair of 6DT6 RCA {hereafter called dtox}  tubes very cheap ($4.40 incl shipping.)  After some 20 hours on EF95 1/7 setting, they sound exactly as described above, with another addition:  an e x t r e m e l y  W - I - D- E  sound stage. Wow! They even beat the current sound stage champion Sylvania.

These tubes are plentiful and cheap, and are highly recommended.  A top tier tube for a song. -No need to scrounge around for them furrin Siemens/Valvo/Zaerix/Lorenz high prized and difficult to find tubes!

I'm glad to see that I am not entirely alone in checking out these 6HZ6 and 6DT6 tubes, or "herz and dtox" if you will. lol  I think these are a steal for the price. While I have been massively sidetracked by Siemens/Zaerix/Lorenz/Telefunken EH90 recently, I still have a pair of RCA 6HZ6 that I need to burn in. And as the RCA 6HZ6 should sound identical to yours (except perhaps a bit louder), I have decided to move them to the front of the burn-in line, ahead of the Fivre and Multivox (Japan) triodes.

Will get them started as soon as I post this!

Edit: Oops! One of them is dead!! :frowning2:  Will contact the vendor.... and search for another pair.....

Aug 19, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #2,493 of 13,434
Siemens EH90 "Foreign"

OK, finally here are my compliments for this tube. For this it needed a different DAC though. Introduction: Recently, I acquired cheaply the Yamaha HDD/CD-recorder CDR-HD1300. One of the features is a 24 Bit / 96 kHz D/A converter, which can be used in DAC mode. Hooking it up to the LD with the IBM 1680 tubes didn't really make me happy. Sounded a bit blurred, a bit too much bass. 2/7-strap was the solution for this tube. Much better focus and really easy lo listen to signature. In contrast to the sharp and slightly hard Audiolab M-DAC, this DAC is rather warm and imaging is thicker. So, for the Yamaha 2/7 works well, for the Audiolab unstrapped sounds great. Then come the Siemens EH90 "Foreign" 1/7-strap (1/7 is better 2/7 and NS). Imaging became sharper, sound overall crisper as you can expect form these tubes. They almost act as a focusing lens. The bass is more articulate as well. These tubes sounded "cleaner" than the IBM.  The overall tonality is nice with very good focus. Actually, a good match altogether. On a side note, the Yamaha output volume is unfortunately too low to support the output feed, which increases the distortion a little and decreases openness.

Comparing them to the Siemens EK90 "Black Bottom" shows that the 1/7 "Foreign" is more equal to the Siemens than with the Audiolab M-DAC. Still, I prefer the Siemens. there is something round in mids and treble that I just like and the Siemens do provide a bit more bass and do not sound as forward as well.

Well, the lesson learned is that it really all depends on system matching. Another nice side information of course is that it is amazing how flexible you can be with a tube amp if you have loads options as with the LD.

Quote:
Ya mordy thats me  and the worst thing is that i follow that tracking number  like a hawk but theres always an appointment mostly medical you know how it is mordy that makes me get out when the postmam comes knockin. like this week im expecting gibosi 6AV6 westinghouse,  i mean my westinghouse lol but this package  i dont have to sign for. Right now enjoying my newly aquired Pionneer SX750  from 1977-1978 in very good   condition sounds surprisingly good with the Senns hd800 i had heard that from the vintage thread that they where a good match and its true                                                                                                        

It looks like a very nice setupe Mikelap!

But oh no, don't tempt me to buy an Pioneer amp!
On the other hand, maybe... :) If you feel like it, send me a pm with impressions you got. We don't want to turn this into a Pioneer thread, lol.

Quote:
After about 28 hours, these Tung Sol 6TD6 are some seriously good tubes. Going by memory, they remind me of the Tung-Sol 6485, with great bass, effortless treble detail and clear vocals that seem to be etched in space. I need to spend some time directly comparing them with the 6485, and further, since these can be strapped 1-7, I feel strongly that I should try them in that configuration too.... Thinking about how that might sound is very intriguing.....

Go dtox!

happy_face1.gif

You guys. dtox. I love it. OK..., seems one more tube on the list =)

Aug 19, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #2,495 of 13,434
Quote:
What is ef95 1/7 setting?

You configure your amp to play EF95 tubes. And then you physically strap pins 1 and 7 together in the socket. Check out page 77 for more info on how to use the various tubes you see mentioned in this forum, as well as an explanation, with pictures, of how to "strap pins in the socket."

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #2,496 of 13,434
If no one has tried the IBM 1680 with 2-7, give it a go, little less bass but overall much better IMO.

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #2,497 of 13,434
Quote:

I'm glad to see that I am not entirely alone in checking out these 6HZ6 and 6DT6 tubes, or "herz and dtox" if you will. lol  I think these are a steal for the price. While I have been massively sidetracked by Siemens/Zaerix/Lorenz/Telefunken EH90 recently, I still have a pair of RCA 6HZ6 that I need to burn in. And as the RCA 6HZ6 should sound identical to yours (except perhaps a bit louder), I have decided to move them to the front of the burn-in line, ahead of the Fivre and Multivox (Japan) triodes.

Will get them started as soon as I post this!

Edit: Oops! One of them is dead!! :frowning2:  Will contact the vendor.... and search for another pair.....

Quote:

Go dtox!

happy_face1.gif

Scooped the RCA's... I'm excited!

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #2,498 of 13,434
the  cbs hytron 6cs6 i got last week, noise never went away, the seller is sending another pair no charge, very eager to please !

and i'm really starting to think its time to stap a tube !

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #2,499 of 13,434
Regarding my last post: this is all i've found online, how good/bad are these? http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/Russian-Tubes/Russian-6C19p

I found the same ones on eBay for way cheaper I think http://www.ebay.com/itm/6S19P-Russian-NOS-MATCHED-PAIR-TUBES-/310133057271?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item48355ee6f7

And will my Little Dot II++ do well driving q701?

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #2,500 of 13,434
Hi mab 1376,

here is post #2078 p. 139 (happy to see that you agree with the reviewer):

Hi All,

Here is a review of the IBM 1680 (6BE6) tube made by Sylvania: (please read until end or skip to summary)

EF95 1/7 Strap setting (used for burn in): The first impression was the signature heptode sound of wide expansive sound stage, clarity and abundant detail. Then some shortcomings became apparent: soft flabby bass, cool mid range, lack of dynamics, and sibilant treble.

These deficiencies disappeared slowly, and after significant burn in they almost all disappeared to a certain extent. After being burnt in for 50-60 hours the tubes had improved markedly. The bass is acceptable but lacks slam and attack. The mid range became warmer. The highs are still sibilant and sharp. Good bye (and good riddance) EF95 1/7 setting.

EF95 NS (no strap): This setting yields better sound than the one previously described. Firmer, more distinct bass, mid range regular warm, highs still sharp but no sibilance, good detail. Yep, much better, but no wow factor. A certain lack of micro dynamics, rhythm and pacing. A good simulation of my solid state receiver with better bass. Bye Bye EF95 NS.

EF95 2/7 strap: Wow! Multi layered 3D heptode magic! Bold, powerful bass, full of details and micro dynamics, great highs. Involuntarily toe tapping - a 4 on a scale of 5.
Cons: Bass does not go down to the deepest levels, and there is a minor mid range coolness and hollowness.
Very good presentation overall with tons of detail and musicality. EF95 2/7 - you are welcome any time.

EF92 setting (using EF95 6/7 strap setting): Treble excellent with great detail and power but some sibilance; mid range good, bass is a bit boomy. Overall quite good, grows on you. Perhaps this setting would match certain types of equipment.  EF92 - nice to see you, bye.

SUMMARY OF THE IBM 1680 TUBE:
As mentioned before, the differences between heptodes are much more subtle than between 6AK5 tubes, and thus harder to describe.
Using the EF95 2/7 strap setting this tube is very good performer, albeit not on the level of the very best heptodes.

The EF92 setting may be a good choice if you like a very detailed treble presentation.

EF95 NS is OK. 

EF95 1/7 is not recommended.

Price wise, the 1680 is a winner with a cost of less than $8 for a pair shipped.

As they say in a prominent consumer magazine: Recommended, Best Buy.

Edit 7/27/13: Listening to the EF92 simulated setting now. Don't know if the tubes stabilized or my perception changed, but these tubes sound excellent now on this setting. Bass is firm but not in your face, almost no sibilance. Detail, detail. Simply beautiful.

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #2,501 of 13,434
Quote:
Hi mab 1376,

here is post #2078 p. 139 (happy to see that you agree with the reviewer):

Hi All,

Here is a review of the IBM 1680 (6BE6) tube made by Sylvania: (please read until end or skip to summary)

EF95 1/7 Strap setting (used for burn in): The first impression was the signature heptode sound of wide expansive sound stage, clarity and abundant detail. Then some shortcomings became apparent: soft flabby bass, cool mid range, lack of dynamics, and sibilant treble.

These deficiencies disappeared slowly, and after significant burn in they almost all disappeared to a certain extent. After being burnt in for 50-60 hours the tubes had improved markedly. The bass is acceptable but lacks slam and attack. The mid range became warmer. The highs are still sibilant and sharp. Good bye (and good riddance) EF95 1/7 setting.

EF95 NS (no strap): This setting yields better sound than the one previously described. Firmer, more distinct bass, mid range regular warm, highs still sharp but no sibilance, good detail. Yep, much better, but no wow factor. A certain lack of micro dynamics, rhythm and pacing. A good simulation of my solid state receiver with better bass. Bye Bye EF95 NS.

EF95 2/7 strap: Wow! Multi layered 3D heptode magic! Bold, powerful bass, full of details and micro dynamics, great highs. Involuntarily toe tapping - a 4 on a scale of 5.
Cons: Bass does not go down to the deepest levels, and there is a minor mid range coolness and hollowness.
Very good presentation overall with tons of detail and musicality. EF95 2/7 - you are welcome any time.

EF92 setting (using EF95 6/7 strap setting): Treble excellent with great detail and power but some sibilance; mid range good, bass is a bit boomy. Overall quite good, grows on you. Perhaps this setting would match certain types of equipment.  EF92 - nice to see you, bye.

SUMMARY OF THE IBM 1680 TUBE:
As mentioned before, the differences between heptodes are much more subtle than between 6AK5 tubes, and thus harder to describe.
Using the EF95 2/7 strap setting this tube is very good performer, albeit not on the level of the very best heptodes.

The EF92 setting may be a good choice if you like a very detailed treble presentation.

EF95 NS is OK. 

EF95 1/7 is not recommended.

Price wise, the 1680 is a winner with a cost of less than $8 for a pair shipped.

As they say in a prominent consumer magazine: Recommended, Best Buy.

Edit 7/27/13: Listening to the EF92 simulated setting now. Don't know if the tubes stabilized or my perception changed, but these tubes sound excellent now on this setting. Bass is firm but not in your face, almost no sibilance. Detail, detail. Simply beautiful.

This is becoming my favorite combo, curious to see if my new 6N6P-IR from '74 improve on this. Current is from '89.

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #2,502 of 13,434
Hi All,

Since the material on this site is chock full of facts and excellent information, pioneering research, and wonderful civility and patient helpfulness, it may be a bit overwhelming to remember everything. I am little embarrassed  to say that I only recently discovered a search function that is available, It's not Google territory, but still useful.

On the top portion of the page, right above the line with the page numbers, there is a field :

1 Unread Post Subscribed Search This Thread Preferences

Click Search This Thread

Another field opens up: Search for posts in this thread

Here you can type in whatever you want; let's say 6HZ6. After you do this, click on search, then another two choices: Relevance or Recency.

I found Recency more useful; it lists posts mentioning 6HZ6 (or whatever you typed in) in order from the newest to the oldest post.

Something else that took a while for me to understand: The line with the pages has a space with dots. If you click on this, a slider appears that you can move to the page you are looking for. Then click go and you are on the page you want so you don't have to click through every page to get there.

1. « Previous
  2. 1
  3. 159
  4. 160
  5. 161
  6. 162
  7. 163
  8. 164
  9. 165
  10. 166
  11. 167

Jump to page

If I have bored people with my rudimentary computer knowledge I apologize. However, maybe somebody will find this information useful.

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #2,503 of 13,434
Quote:
However, I am preparing to roll several different op amps (LME49720HA, LME49990, and LT1028 in case anyone is interested) that are considered more neutral than the OPA2107. It will be interesting to see how this changes my opinion of the 4 tubes we have in common.

A pair of LME49990 opamps arrived yesterday and rolled them in my 1+. First impressions, I believe they are a significant improvement over the OPA2107. And I am not all that surprised. I figured that if they are good enough for the Parasound Halo CD 1, they just might be good enough for my 1+. lol

And now I am happily getting reacquainted with all my favorite tubes and tunes. :)

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #2,504 of 13,434
Quote:
Hi All,

Since the material on this site is chock full of facts and excellent information, pioneering research, and wonderful civility and patient helpfulness, it may be a bit overwhelming to remember everything. I am little embarrassed  to say that I only recently discovered a search function that is available, It's not Google territory, but still useful.

On the top portion of the page, right above the line with the page numbers, there is a field :

1 Unread Post Subscribed Search This Thread Preferences

Click Search This Thread

Another field opens up: Search for posts in this thread

Here you can type in whatever you want; let's say 6HZ6. After you do this, click on search, then another two choices: Relevance or Recency.

I found Recency more useful; it lists posts mentioning 6HZ6 (or whatever you typed in) in order from the newest to the oldest post.

Something else that took a while for me to understand: The line with the pages has a space with dots. If you click on this, a slider appears that you can move to the page you are looking for. Then click go and you are on the page you want so you don't have to click through every page to get there.

1. « Previous
  2. 1
  3. 159
  4. 160
  5. 161
  6. 162
  7. 163
  8. 164
  9. 165
  10. 166
  11. 167

Jump to page

If I have bored people with my rudimentary computer knowledge I apologize. However, maybe somebody will find this information useful.

lol, i myself just the other day, discovered the "search this thread" function and used it regarding strapping/socket modding etc. found page 59, in addition to 77-79
tomorrow, a schiit lyr is due here, and i'm going to have to sell of of my dacs, and probably 2 of the 3 amps i have
to help defray some of the costs
i in no way feel the ld 1+ lacking, i love it, i may turn right around and sell the lyr
but before either of these two amps departs, i'm gonna give the strapping a try

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #2,505 of 13,434
FYI Koray from http://www.nostubestore.com/ said he just got a huge shipment of tubes and is looking for some EH90's for me as he's sorting through them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back