Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Aug 18, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #2,476 of 13,434
Hi jaywillin,

"in disappearing ink ?"

I put that in, because someone on the forum always seems to be out when the mailman comes, and then he has to go to the post office the next day. So if you can, and you anticipate that the tubes are going to arrive a certain day, try to be around when the man comes - who wants to wait another day?

Aug 18, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #2,477 of 13,434
Lorenz EH90

After spending some time with these, to my ears they sound essentially the same as my Ulm-manufactured Telefunken EH90. The Lorenz do have the Telefunken diamond impressed between the pins, but it is not as clean and precise looking as on my Ulm Telefunkens. The plates with the vertical line of spot welds also looks much less polished and "professional" than the Telefunkens. Moreover, the glass envelope and getter splash are also different. However, the solder-work connecting the pins to the electrodes and the lower mica seem to be essentially identical. And the coup de grace is the sound. These have the the Telefunken sound, very clean and quite bright.

A fellow-headfier insists, "If it has the Telefunken diamond, it must be a Telefunken!" And at least in this case, he was right.

Aug 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #2,478 of 13,434
Scooped up a pair of Svetlana 6A2P's for cheap, they will be a while before they get here BUT I'll report back with results... Same withe the Ediswans EH90's I ordered.

In other news the Valvo EH90's were given a good 10 hours under load (breaking in some new sr225i drivers for a friends build) and the hum is gone, they no longer sound congested, everything is much better! EXCEPT the 1 tube still hums if I touch it. No biggie though, just gotta keep my hands off the sexiness...

Aug 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #2,479 of 13,434
Quote:
Hi jaywillin,

"in disappearing ink ?"

I put that in, because someone on the forum always seems to be out when the mailman comes, and then he has to go to the post office the next day. So if you can, and you anticipate that the tubes are going to arrive a certain day, try to be around when the man comes - who wants to wait another day?

feeble attempt at some cold war spy humor , i understand believe me !
i had my wife, who is not very mobile at the present, (some serious shoulder surgery) ask, though somewhat sheepishly, if she could possibly get up if the mail came so she could sign for my ps500's which were coming insured, she did, she's a trooper

Aug 18, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #2,480 of 13,434
Quote:
In other news the Valvo EH90's were given a good 10 hours under load (breaking in some new sr225i drivers for a friends build) and the hum is gone, they no longer sound congested, everything is much better! EXCEPT the 1 tube still hums if I touch it. No biggie though, just gotta keep my hands off the sexiness...

Fortunately for those of us who use headphone amps, microphonics is really not much of a problem. Of course, it bums me out a little, but since I listen in a very quiet room, I never notice it at all unless I start tapping on the table.

Aug 18, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #2,481 of 13,434
Quote:
Hi jaywillin,

"in disappearing ink ?"

Ya mordy thats me  and the worst thing is that i follow that tracking number  like a hawk but theres always an appointment mostly medical you know how it is mordy that makes me get out when the postmam comes knockin. like this week im expecting gibosi 6AV6 westinghouse,  i mean my westinghouse lol but this package  i dont have to sign for. Right now enjoying my newly aquired Pionneer SX750  from 1977-1978 in very good   condition sounds surprisingly good with the Senns hd800 i had heard that from the vintage thread that they where a good match and its true                                                                                                        

Aug 18, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #2,482 of 13,434
Hi Mikelap,

Don't know how it works in your neighborhood (if it is safe to leave a package outside), but what I do when I am not home and know a package is going to arrive that I have to sign for, I print out the delivery information and sign it. Then I tape the paper to the front door. This usually works for UPS and FedEx - not so sure about the post office though.

BTW, I have a 1974 Onkyo T9 tuner that's pretty good, but I rarely use it.

Aug 18, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #2,483 of 13,434

Quote:
Hi Mikelap,

Don't know how it works in your neighborhood (if it is safe to leave a package outside), but what I do when I am not home and know a package is going to arrive that I have to sign for, I print out the delivery information and sign it. Then I tape the paper to the front door. This usually works for UPS and FedEx - not so sure about the post office though.

BTW, I have a 1974 Onkyo T9 tuner that's pretty good, but I rarely use it.

I live in a appartment complex so i wouldnt take a chance even if the building is safe theres no rush anyways i have several pairs that i didnt burnin yet that i received from a while back im behind wheather so nice these days gotta go out . back then i had an English Quad 100 watt rms per channel use to drive my friends Altec A-7 got that thing in 1977gave it to my son with all my records .Wasnt so hot with Pionneer and all those brands back then tough it was crap actually lol yes Acapella11 the English make damm good gear i gotta say my main amp is Australian close enough .lol

Aug 18, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #2,485 of 13,434
Quote:
Try looking in hardware store for spacers  and they are not brass by the way  actually those rings are stainless steel and when heated by the tubes  turn yellowish a bit  

Thanks MIKELAP for the good idea of spacers, I'll try to look for some of them. Now I just need to figure out the right size, as I can not find my caliper anymore (I guess all 4 rings are the same size, correct ?).

Aug 18, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #2,486 of 13,434
Hey Mikelap,

Great find on your Pioneer SX 750. I recently found a SX 580 in great condition at a thrift shop. The Pioneer receivers from the 70's sound wonderful. Got it sitting right next to my Little Dot MK III.

Aug 18, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #2,487 of 13,434
Quote:

Thanks MIKELAP for the good idea of spacers, I'll try to look for some of them. Now I just need to figure out the right size, as I can not find my caliper anymore (I guess all 4 rings are the same size, correct ?).

No power tube rings are bigger I took the liberty of making a drawing of the power tube rings and of the driver tube rings 

Aug 18, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #2,488 of 13,434
Quote:
 I took the liberty of making a drawing of the power tube rings and of the driver tube rings 

Thanks a lot again ! This picture will definitely help me out in looking for the right rings. 
beerchug.gif

Aug 18, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #2,489 of 13,434
Quote:
Hey Mikelap,

Great find on your Pioneer SX 750. I recently found a SX 580 in great condition at a thrift shop. The Pioneer receivers from the 70's sound wonderful. Got it sitting right next to my Little Dot MK III.

Nice amp ,unfortunatly i am going to have to make some room right now i got 2 amp on my desk and the Pioneer on my left side. the pioneer  sounds nice with Senns very happy didnt expect it would sound that good.

Aug 18, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #2,490 of 13,434
Hey I have an old Little Dot II++ and I just realized that the two bigger (power?) tubes in the back are different than each other. The driver tubes are Mullard 161's but I need to either match or get a new set of power tubes. Anyone got a link to what I should get? Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back