Little Dot MKVII+ Available Now!
Feb 5, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #106 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by hedmaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am about ready to order one of these, but this gives me reason to pause. If this unit is defective, then what do they do to "test" them before sending them out?

I am not jumping to conclusions, as we are still unsure of the actual issue at hand here. To be fair to LD, I am simply asking this question, IF it has arrived with faulty xlr inputs. My understanding is that there is a specific time allotted for the amps to be tested before shipping out. Well then, what do they test, and how, is my question. I also understand the nature of electronics, and even with the best of QC, there are issues that arise.

So, we'll have to wait and see how this turns out.

(Please don't flame me for simply asking this question, I am not trying to antagonize anyone.)

After fully testing the MKVII+ with a different source the unit appears to be working properly with both balanced and single ended inputs.
The problem appears to be the balanced outputs on my LD DAC I which I have not had the opportunity to use until now. The DAC is still under warranty and I am sure that it will be resolved in a professional manner if the unit turns out to be defective. I was just trying to get input as to the DAC I if there is a setting for use of the balanced outputs?

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #107 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowedtoothdoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MKVII+ does not have an input switch on the back! The problem seems to be the balanced output on the DAC_I?

My bad,I assumed it had an input switch same as MK Vll.

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #108 of 164
Quote:

After fully testing the MKVII+ with a different source the unit appears to be working properly with both balanced and single ended inputs.
The problem appears to be the balanced outputs on my LD DAC I which I have not had the opportunity to use until now. The DAC is still under warranty and I am sure that it will be resolved in a professional manner if the unit turns out to be defective. I was just trying to get input as to the DAC I if there is a setting for use of the balanced outputs?

It sounds like an issue with the DAC control board, perhaps something in the balanced connection was knocked loose or damaged during transit. If you haven't already, contact us (email David) to have it resolved at no cost to you as our warranty will cover all shipping charges.

Feb 5, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #109 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by sword_yang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sounds like an issue with the DAC control board, perhaps something in the balanced connection was knocked loose or damaged during transit.

I'm sorry if I must tell to you that, but a soldered connection or whatever that can be knocked loose so easily is a strong sign of poor processing and shoddy quality control. Such a thing should not happen simply, even not after a crash-landing of the cargo aircraft.
angry_face.gif

Another problem is the Chinese user manual, is it really so difficult to have an English translation as a PDF file available to download? It would be a lot more professional to leave customers with such problems not alone!
frown.gif

I'm also interested in LD products, but how hedmaster has outlined, this gives me a reason to wait before I order. I really hope that something will change in the year of the tiger.

Feb 5, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #110 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by AcousticDreams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry if I must tell to you that, but a soldered connection or whatever that can be knocked loose so easily is a strong sign of poor processing and shoddy quality control. Such a thing should not happen simply, even not after a crash-landing of the cargo aircraft.
angry_face.gif

Another problem is the Chinese user manual, is it really so difficult to have an English translation as a PDF file available to download? It would be a lot more professional to leave customers with such problems not alone!
frown.gif

I'm also interested in LD products, but how hedmaster has outlined, this gives me a reason to wait before I order. I really hope that something will change in the year of the tiger.

It's a bit odd to extrapolate one instance into "strong sign of poor processing and shoddy quality control" while also discounting the affect rough transit can have on electronics. Generally speaking, crafted goods are not meant to be dropped (regardless of how strong the "processing" or "quality control"), and hence that's what packaging is designed to protect against. Everyone loves the idea of shipping in a double rubber padded steel box, but not everyone would necessarily love the shipping fee that would entail.

If it was a manufacturing defect, well it's unfortunate but it happens. No builder of goods, regardless of product type or segment is immune. That's incidentally what warranties are for. Just to put things in perspective, the number of issues we've had with the Little Dot DAC_I can be counted on one hand out of all the ones we've built and shipped. Suffice it to say it's an extremely low percentage, and something we can be proud of. We are committed to a zero-defect goal and reducing the percentage even further, but in reality for any manufacturer of goods, it's not going to be truly 0%. That's why our warranty policy is so strong in that the customer pays nothing out of pocket as we cover labor, parts, and shipping to and from. Realistically due to the costs involved, if we were not so commited to quality and our defect rate were not extremely low, we wouldn't be in business.

Regarding an English manual, the Little Dot MK VII+ is a new model and it takes time for the manual to be translated. For early adopters it may not be available immediately, however will be available as a download once it is.

Feb 5, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #111 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by sword_yang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lacking a proper macro perspective your concern may seem valid, however the number of issues we've had with the Little Dot DAC_I can be counted on one hand out of all the ones we've built and shipped.

This is a very weak argument to convince potential customers. On technical issues we can not be precise enough and reliable service is always a matter.

Feb 5, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #112 of 164
I don't know exactly the reason of the problem reported by Bowedtoothdoc, but I know for sure that every manufacturer has his own issues. What's important is how to handle those issues (customer service, warranty, etc etc) and David is great in that. Simply contact David, send him an email, he'll sort it out.

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #113 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by realmassy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know exactly the reason of the problem reported by Bowedtoothdoc, but I know for sure that every manufacturer has his own issues. What's important is how to handle those issues (customer service, warranty, etc etc) and David is great in that. Simply contact David, send him an email, he'll sort it out.

I totally agree and David has already contacted me and sent me a return shipping label for the DAC to be returned/replaced/repaired at no charge to me. Little Dot has excellent customer service!

Feb 5, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #114 of 164
Quote:

Little Dot has excellent customer service!

Don't praise them before the unit has returned, they are obligated to do that. The best would be you pray in the meantime that something wasn't "knocked loose" again.
devil_face.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #115 of 164
Anyone who's been a member of Head-fi for more than a couple of months is aware that issues are a part of equipment purchase, regardless of the manufacturer. And as Sword and Realmassy point out, the key is customer service. LD's (David's and Sword's) is legend in these parts. And covering all costs, including shipping back to the factory, is almost unheard of. And as Sword says, if issues abound, LD would be out of business. The fact that it's not and continues to grow a following in the Head-fi community says volumes. I've always been impressed with Sword's responsiveness to customers. He bends over backwards to satisfy them. At LD's price point, issues will dig into profits. The fact that LD continues to make its quality products available at very low cost tells us that it has confidence in its products.

Disclaimer: I am not associated with LD, David, or Sword in any way except as a customer.

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #116 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by AcousticDreams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't praise them before the unit has returned, they are obligated to do that. The best would be you pray in the meantime that something wasn't "knocked loose" again.
devil_face.gif

what is with your vendetta against LD?

link me to your posts where you bash Apple, Samsung, and General Electric - they for sure ship out faulty products, and they have fully automated lines!

Then, compare LD's no-questions-asked repair and return policy, in which they pay for round trip shipping, to that of these large corporations. I believe you will find your comments are unwarranted and unfair

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #117 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what is with your vendetta against LD?

link me to your posts where you bash Apple, Samsung, and General Electric - they for sure ship out faulty products, and they have fully automated lines!

Then, compare LD's no-questions-asked repair and return policy, in which they pay for round trip shipping, to that of these large corporations. I believe you will find your comments are unwarranted and unfair

I was just about to ask the same thing. Maybe he's just being generally negative of most companies and have not been here long enough to know LD's reputation.

I just ordered this amp two days ago and my only worry is will it sync well with all my headphones. This is my first LD amp and the issue of customer service or quality has never crossed my mind.

Feb 5, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #118 of 164
Can any owners give me an idea as to the change with this amp SE vs Balanced?
Specifically with the AKG K701's. Right now I am only able to listen in SE mode and I
am finding that the sound is comprable to my LD MKIII with upgraded tubes.
Granted there are differences between the two, but they are small in my opinion.

Feb 5, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #119 of 164
I must add that I tried to get a Mark VII during the holiday season, and got a damaged unit; I returned it and got the same unit back with the superficial damage repaired (rear faceplate) but it still shorted out internally. I told David that I wanted a brand new unit, and he said they wouldn't be available until... about now. So from what I was able to hear it was a very good-sounding amp but now I am focusing on the upcoming MK VIII balanced tube amp.

David was great with paying for shipping both ways every time and the eventual refund, and that is the main reason I haven't turned away from Little Dot as a company. I believe that the MK VIII is to the MK VI what the VII+ is to the VII; more suitable for lower-impedance headphones, but with less power in the MK VIII's part where the MK VII+ is just lower gain. The lower power on the MK VIII also means quieter operation as compared with the MK VI because there is no need for fan cooling. Now there is a MK VI+, which adds gain settings, but still uses a fan
confused_face.gif

Edit: I cannot find a reference to the MK VIII on David's site, but I read about it on Head-fi, so it must be true!

Feb 6, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #120 of 164
Quote:

I totally agree and David has already contacted me and sent me a return shipping label for the DAC to be returned/replaced/repaired at no charge to me. Little Dot has excellent customer service!

+1,they have excellent customer service,not to many companies pay for return postage on warranty claims.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back