LITTLE DOT MKVI has arrived
Sep 12, 2008 at 10:22 AM Post #94 of 112
I got some more snake oil today
wink.gif
Caig Deoxit Gold G5 and it works wonders.

I apply to all my connectors, tubes pins etc etc. The sound is cleaner, background noise from tube is reduce and better dynamics!

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #95 of 112
hi guys, sorry that i wasn't participating in this thread freq. enough.
I had a chat with Mr. Yang in the chinese forum. The proper fan config is BOTH FAN BLOW AIR INTO THE CHASSIS.

My original pic has blows in and one sucks out. Which is the wrong way (however, my unit arrived like that so I copied the config. when modding).

Sep 13, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #99 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by glitch39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
enough with the fans!
smily_headphones1.gif

Now I want to read how it sounds...

.... drooling ....

LOL. But that's what happens when a product ships with last-minute cooling add-ons (fans) that are not well-though-out. Look at the venting hole schemes and where the fans are. I guess people around here are perfectly fine with receiving brand-new amps that arrive defective, needing two not-so-cheap quiet fans and elbow-grease from the buyers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
silenX fans are notorious for having bogus dbA ratings on their packaging
tongue.gif
, you can get much better in terms of CFM/dbA
smily_headphones1.gif

Good lord, another automatic SilenX response. Have you ever used a silenX fan? True they deserve some whipping for their ridiculous noise specs, but their 80 mm fans are actually just as quiet as Nexus 80 mm, which is a benchmark quiet fan. I have both here and both are quite nice, so buy the one you can find cheaper..

Sep 13, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #100 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw what gain setting are you guys using? I'm using low gain setting for my HD650, on high gain is not as quite.

LOW for HD600/650s
HIGH only for K1000

Sep 13, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #101 of 112
Since when did head-fiers leave anything "stock" anyways
tongue.gif

Hope that those folks with other amps can post some comparative impressions about the MKVI
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL. But that's what happens when a product ships with last-minute cooling add-ons (fans) that are not well-though-out. Look at the venting hole schemes and where the fans are. I guess people around here are perfectly fine with receiving brand-new amps that arrive defective, needing two not-so-cheap quiet fans and elbow-grease from the buyers.

Good lord, another automatic SilenX response. Have you ever used a silenX fan? True they deserve some whipping for their ridiculous noise specs, but their 80 mm fans are actually just as quiet as Nexus 80 mm, which is a benchmark quiet fan. I have both here and both are quite nice, so buy the one you can find cheaper..

Sep 22, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #102 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by glitch39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
enough with the fans!
smily_headphones1.gif

Now I want to read how it sounds...

.... drooling ....

Sound comparison between my LD MK V & MK VI

This is an apples and bananas comparison as we all know it, RCA Vs XLR.

My old single end system,

Source: CA840c

AMP: LD MK V

Power Cord: Volex17604 with wattgate ends.

Cable: RCA BJ89259 and SAA Equinox HD650 classic

Headphone: HD650

For a single ended system this setup sounds very good. Soundstage is good, bass is control, a neutral sounding amp with a little colour added to the sound. What I hear on my HD650 is a straight sounding CA840c, detail and analytical. With the smaller soundstage instrument separation is a little muddy. Floor noise is black. No snake Oil used for this single ended setup.

New balanced XLR system,

Source: CA840c

AMP: LD MK VI, Gain setting on “LOW”

Tubes: JAN Slyvania 6080wc and OTK 6H9C

Power Cord: Volex17604 with wattgate ends.

Cable: Signal Cable Silver XLR and 4 Pin APS V3 HD650

Headphone: HD650

Snake Oil: Vibrapods and Cones and Caig Deoxit Gold G5

My first balanced setup wow what can I say, I was blown away on stock tubes. Soundstage is massive 3D like, very Airy and spacious. Very high resolution and transparent, I’m hearing a lot things that was a little muddy on MK V but on the Mk VI it’s crystal clear.

Timbre is excellent, the decay is long, bass is tight, mids are lush and highs is crisp. Susan Wong voice on XRCD2 sounds so sweet and Eagles hell freezes over XRCD2, hotel California sounds so real, like if you’re right there on stage just amazing. It makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up every time I listen to this track.

The CA840C really shows its grunt and capability when output on balanced mode. Extra detail and wider soundstage better instrument separation compare to single ended RCA. Floor noise is black.

Snake oil is used for this setup, Vibrapod and cone under amp and CD player, all tube pins and cable connectors are treated with Caig Deoxit Gold G5.

YMMV!!!!

Tube Rolling to come….
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2008 at 11:16 AM Post #105 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nope I actually haven't tried a SilenX fan, I've always avoided them because of their bad reviews.

This is an actual question, sorry if my tone sounds rude but even if it is as quiet as the Nexus, does it blow as much air as the Nexus?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back