LITTLE DOT MKVI has arrived
Sep 4, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #63 of 112
I'm not really up for a full review because I'm not that good at writing one. But I'll post a quick one on the sound!

Huge soundstage and I mean huge!!! The mids are very warm and susan wongs voice on close to you xrcd is just amazing. The amp is very detail I'm hearing a lot of things that I could not hear clearly on my previous amp MK V!

The bass is tight and the high is crisp and has long decay!

Great tube amp and still need more time to cook, as I said in my earlier post all my XLR cable is still new. I sure when everything is burn in it will sound much better!

Cheers

Sep 4, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #64 of 112
fwiw when it comes to fans and computers, its the exhaust that takes the temperature down more than intake, not sure if it would be the same with this particular amp though.

I don't think having one exhaust and one intake on the same side may be the best idea, the whole idea is to get a wind tunnel effect where air is blown into one direction, which doesn't look like its possible with the size of the chassis.

Also removing those fan grills if possible would reduce noise as well.

Some other good fan brands are:
-Nexus (Yate loon are the OEM versions of these, and are much cheaper)
-Scythe

Sep 4, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #65 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
really? both fans have wire side up, and Zamark label side down. I can feel air blowing down on both...

Yep, if you look at my pic of the fan and compare it to your one you'll see that it's completly opposite!

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:48 AM Post #69 of 112
May I just ask LD MKIV owner how you plug balanced headphones into the amp
confused_face.gif

I am just starting my "balanced" journey with my HD650, but they have 2 XLR plugs (with 3 pins) to connect to my amp... I can only see a 4 pins XLR output on the front plate
confused_face_2.gif
Does that mean that in order to use this amp I should have my HD650 recabled
frown.gif

Thanks

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #70 of 112
Yes, re-cabled to a 4 pin XLR or an adaptor to take your 2 x 3 pin XLRs to the 4 pin XLR. It should offer 2 x 3 pin XLR balanced outs and a single ended plug

I'll stick to my Headroom Balanced for now.

Sep 4, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #74 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CZ, I went back to my original set up. The chassis is much cooler that way (sides and top). You may want to try reversing yours.

Anyway, enough fan silliness for me; this works for me, now back to the music!

Yes you are spot on mate.

After some testing of my own indeed blowing air up the MK VI is much cooler then sucking air out from the amp!

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #75 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
May I just ask LD MKIV owner how you plug balanced headphones into the amp
confused_face.gif

I am just starting my "balanced" journey with my HD650, but they have 2 XLR plugs (with 3 pins) to connect to my amp... I can only see a 4 pins XLR output on the front plate
confused_face_2.gif
Does that mean that in order to use this amp I should have my HD650 recabled
frown.gif

Thanks

I see no reason to recable, a simple adapter is all you need and should be able to be made by any of the small cable guys around this site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back