Little Dot MKIV SE first (naive) impressions
Jul 11, 2007 at 11:16 AM Post #61 of 77
Dimensions (Metric): 320mm deep by 220mm wide by 143mm high
Dimensions (American): 12.6 inches deep by 8.66 inches wide by 5.62 inches

Holy crap! This amp is huge compared to a MT!
eek.gif

It looks deceptively similar in size in pictures, but it's 2.5 times deeper and 2 times wider!

Jul 11, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #62 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by AS1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

eek.gif

It looks deceptively similar in size in pictures, but it's 2.5 times deeper and 2 times wider!

The MT utilizes micro-tubes while the MK III/4/SE all use full-size ones.

Jul 12, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #64 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by AS1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

eek.gif

Owning both, yes its much larger, it sits next to its smaller brother on my rack. Sounds as if there is more clear mids and a tad bit more treble. With the eq bypassed it sounds alot diffrent, with my bass channels cranked it loves it. This is with 701s.

Jul 13, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #65 of 77
My SE developed a buzz that was more intense at the lowest volumes. To fix this all I did was give the SE it's own dedicated power line direct from the wall outlet and the problem miraculously disappeared.

Jul 29, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #67 of 77
I just got the normal version. couldn't get the SE in Hong kong (can you believe this??!!) Anyway, using it with 701K now after burning in for 50+hrs. I am fairly satisfied with it but just wonder if there are any suggestions for tube rolling?

Jul 29, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #68 of 77
did you mail david? Why couldn't you get the SE?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Letsrock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got the normal version. couldn't get the SE in Hong kong (can you believe this??!!) Anyway, using it with 701K now after burning in for 50+hrs. I am fairly satisfied with it but just wonder if there are any suggestions for tube rolling?

Jul 29, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #69 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Letsrock /img/forum/go_quote.gif

At the risk of being drawn and quarted for my remarks, I believe Yang made a very considered choice with the tubes. My experiance is with the MKIII but the same essential circuit. The front end tubes may well be tweaked by using different manufacturers, but changes in tube type is going to change the bias and thus the impedance of the outputs. Both of which, I think he has nailed just right. The 6H30Pi is a great output for single ended push-pull.

Give it 2 or 3 hundred hours first. Just my 2 cents worth, heresy though it may be.

Jul 29, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #70 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Negatron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the risk of being drawn and quarted for my remarks, I believe Yang made a very considered choice with the tubes. My experiance is with the MKIII but the same essential circuit. The front end tubes may well be tweaked by using different manufacturers, but changes in tube type is going to change the bias and thus the impedance of the outputs. Both of which, I think he has nailed just right. The 6H30Pi is a great output for single ended push-pull.

Give it 2 or 3 hundred hours first. Just my 2 cents worth, heresy though it may be.

Thanks Negatron,
I will take your advice and give it some more time first.

Cheers,

Aug 11, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #72 of 77
Also I have heard that the tube complement (from the one posted on pg. 1) has changed (upgraded):

Driver Tubes: used to be GE403A, now WE408A
Power Tubes: used to be 6H30PI, now E182CC

Anyone know if the above are indeed upgrades?

Aug 12, 2007 at 7:17 AM Post #73 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also I have heard that the tube complement (from the one posted on pg. 1) has changed (upgraded):

The Western Electric would be an upgrade to the GE403A
Interesting about the E182cc That has slightly different transconductance than the 6H30PI but if they found a bunch of the Phillips or Amperex E182CC/7119 buy a bunch of extras and hoard them. Great tube.

Aug 12, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #74 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I believe the driver tubes of the SE used to be either the WE403A/WE403B (NOT GE) or the Mullard M8100. AFAIK, the WE408A is supposed to be pretty much the same as the WE403A/B, but with a different heater voltage.

There is probably a little switch in the amp for adjusting the heater voltage.

Aug 12, 2007 at 7:51 AM Post #75 of 77
Thanks for the info guys....still a toss up between the stock WA6 (transformer) and the Mk IV SE (OTL).....hmmmm....decisions, decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back