Little Dot MKIV SE first (naive) impressions
Jul 5, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #32 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Misleading warranty statement: I just learned that David doesn't include tubes in his warranty coverage, despite this statement in his eBay ad for the MK III:
"We offer a non-prorated (free labor, parts, shipping, etc) warranty covering all defects and labor for a period of one year." I haven't seen the MK IV ad, but I'm guessing he uses the same statement. One of the power tubes in my LD2++ went bad after seven months, and he refuses to replace them. He emailed me a different warranty statement which clearly states that tubes aren't covered -- unless they arrived DOA. I'm posting this warning here and in an LD2++ thread. Hopefully, your tubes won't go bad within a year.

Seven months for a tube is respectable if amplifier is used regularly. That shouldnt be even covered in warranty, they are meant to be replaced when they die (which usually takes couple thousand hours, hybrid-amps over ten thousand). Now, if a tube goes out in few days, not to mention the very moment you turn it on first time, that should be covered by any warranty.

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #33 of 77
Quote:

You miss the point Wae5, and so did David. (The issue is the warranty.) Interestingly, you use the exact same arguments and examples as David -- which I didn't mention in my post. What are the chances of that happening by chance, Wae5? (The issue is one of credibility.)

There must be a chance greater than nil because I'm simply not David's shill- just a very happy customer with a bulb in my brain that was flicked on by your insinuating post. Lets see, what are common household items that are like tubes? Ah ha! Light bulbs and better still my three projector lamps which have warranties that are entirely separate from my projector guarantees. Light bulbs, PJ lamps and candles all burn down and no one (except David- see above) warrants any of these unless you're willing to pay a little extra and I've yet to meet the fool who warrants candles, but I'll be that fool if you're willing to pay a premium greater than the cost of that very precious candle and promise never ever to light it.

Jul 5, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #34 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by sword_yang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi feifan,
Please PM your address, telephone number, I will send the LD II ++ the tubes to you, all free of charge.

Sword, thanks! Will do so in the next few minutes. This gesture renews my confidence in your service. I love both the LD2+ and ++, and I will now consider the new MK line. I can assure you that I don't mistreat my equipment and have not overused any of it. I head-fi primarily while working on the computer, and I spread my listening over four basic rigs. The LD2++ is one of the four, and I don't use it any more than the others.

Jul 5, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #35 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There must be a chance greater than nil because I'm simply not David's shill- just a very happy customer with a lighbulb in my brain that was flicked on by your insinuating post. Lets see, what are common household items that are like tubes? Ah ha! Light bulbs and better still my three projector lamps which have warranties that are entirely separate from my projector guarantees. Light bulbs, PJ lamps and candles all burn down and no one (except David- see above) warrants any of these unless you're willing to pay a little extra and I've yet to meet the fool who warrants candles, but I'll be that fool if you're willing to pay a premium greater than the cost of that very precious candle and promise never ever to light it.

Wae5, I owe you an apology. I posted my reply to you at a point when I was upset and very tired (it was late at night) -- not a good time to vent. The insinuation was uncalled for.

Jul 5, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #36 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tubes do generally have a life span, around a few thousand hours (probably around 1000 for the LD2++ stock tubes). So depending how often you use your amp, the tubes may wear out faster than you think.

Nowhere close to 1000. More like 300-500 hours, tops.

Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there an anode voltage startup delay circuit in LD amps? AFAIK this delay saves tubes' lifetime significantly. Tubes don't like biasing when their cathode isn't hot yet.

Not sure about a delay circuit, but definitely a consideration in revisions IF it's not included.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seven months for a tube is respectable if amplifier is used regularly. That shouldnt be even covered in warranty, they are meant to be replaced when they die (which usually takes couple thousand hours, hybrid-amps over ten thousand). Now, if a tube goes out in few days, not to mention the very moment you turn it on first time, that should be covered by any warranty.

As I said earlier, I haven't abused or overused the LD2++. The issue for me was the warranty statement. David should seriously consider revising the version that's displayed in his eBay ad, with a clear statement that tubes are not covered unless they arrive DOA or die in the first three days of use.

Thanks all, for your responses.

Jul 5, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #37 of 77
Apology accepted! Though I must admit I had a devilishly good time writing my response. Do you plan to try any of the new amps? The biggest change for you may be you'll no longer be able to fry eggs on LD's iteration of George's grill
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 5, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #38 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apology accepted! Though I must admit I had a devilishly good time writing my response. Do you plan to try any of the new amps? The biggest change for you may be you'll no longer be able to fry eggs on LD's iteration of George's grill
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hey, I run the LD2+ with the faceplate removed. My concern was the jack -- I was worried about frying my expensive after-market HP cables. The plug doesn't seem to get as hot with this mod. I'm definitely attracted to the MK III and IV, and if they run cooler and others report no problems in the next six months or so, I'll definitely consider ordering it. I wish Sword would do something with the housing for the transformer -- as is, it has no style to speak of -- and offer a squarer version of the case. But performance will be the deciding factor.

Jul 5, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #39 of 77
It's 59F outside and 76F Radio Shack temperature inside because I'm sitting in the sunny noonday shade. The amps been running for three hrs at 95F and it's filling the room with its warm amber heat...Wake Up! Everything about this amp is designed to dissipate heat. It's chassis is a lean, low music machine: 10" long, 2 5/8" high and 8 1/4" wide. The sides are rounded and gently fluted to increase surface area. That suede lump on its rump is always cool to the touch (what's inside that thing, cooling fins?) and the garish Star Wars city surrounding the tubes is doing its job of catching tube heat and funneling it down to that 1/8" thick golden plate which is always a little warmer that the surrounding chassis. So it's cool already! You'll just have to eat boiled eggs from now on!

Jul 5, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #40 of 77
Quote:

Hey, I run the LD2+ with the faceplate removed. My concern was the jack -- I was worried about frying my expensive after-market HP cables. The plug doesn't seem to get as hot with this mod. I'm definitely attracted to the MK III and IV, and if they run cooler and others report no problems in the next six months or so, I'll definitely consider ordering it. I wish Sword would do something with the housing for the transformer -- as is, it has no style to speak of -- and offer a squarer version of the case. But performance will be the deciding factor.

If you read my previous post you'll see everything that seems designed with fashion in mind is really there for only one reason -heat dissipation. As for the suede lump on its rump it's much more inviting in person. I think the pictures of the SE on LD's home page were just photos of mockups because the lump's texture is much more refined now, shall we say much less of an embarrassment- I don't care how ugly it is! You gotta hear it first before calling it a Chinese turdifier!

Jul 6, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #43 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
200741616595827827.jpg

those gold things around the tubes look ridiculous. do they serve a purpose other than masking the sweet glow of the tubes.

I kinda sorta agree with you. If you look closely at that pix you'll see one of 2 screws that may hold down that plate. I haven't confirmed this but it may be possible to unscrew those and remove that quadruple crowned, golden wedding cake. A future downgrade upgrade, perhaps?

Jul 7, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #45 of 77
Then why do so many tube amps including the MKIII not have tube guards? BTW, the tubes are cool to the touch -I know 'cause I just gingerly caressed them. The tube guards are there for them not us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back