Little Dot MKIV SE first (naive) impressions
Jul 7, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #48 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by N15M0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know where can I get this amp? Also anyone has the email contact of the seller? Thanks.

http://www.little-tube.com/forum/for...view.asp?fid=3

Here’s where the rubber meets the road:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Little-Dot-MK-II...QQcmdZViewItem

This listing is for the MKIII.

Then "ask seller a question"

You find this in the upper right side of the page.

The seller’s name is David.

Tell David you want the MKIV SE.

The rest is done thru emails and PayPal.

Insurance is optional and costs $9.

Make sure you get it.

You will not regret it.

I listen 10 hrs per day and
haven't stopped
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #49 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since my experience with excellent headphone amps is nil, I cannot hope to answer your questions in the sublime and knowledgeable way Skylab would, but I'll try my best to muddle through.

Not at all, nice review!

Jul 7, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #50 of 77
Quote:

Then why do so many tube amps including the MKIII not have tube guards? BTW, the tubes are cool to the touch -I know 'cause I just gingerly caressed them. The tube guards are there for them not us.

You shouldn't touch tubes hot or not. The grease from fingerprints can affect the glass tube's temperature enough to cause them to crack under heat. It's a bad habit to get into.

I don't know if those rings are also there to cut down on microphonics (i.e. vibrations walking across the room get picked up by the amp). If thats the reason why they put those there, great job designer!

Jul 8, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #51 of 77
I agree and promise never to touch them again except when rolling my own. However, I touched with well washed hands and before doing so asked a knowledgeable friend if it's OK because I know it's a no no with photo strobes and projector lamps. He said it's OK because tubes, like lightbulbs, run at low heat. I really didn't believe him but did it anyway because I was dying to know just how hot they really are and discovered they're not so hot after all.

Jul 8, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #53 of 77
I live in San Francisco and leave my amp on all day. Right now my Radio Shack chassis temp probe reads 90.4F with an indoor temp of 72.7 and my backup indoor probe reads 70.7. I also have a cooling fan directed away from the amp but bouncing air around it. I promised never to touch the tubes againt so I'm picking up an indirect reading IR thermometer so I can go and sin no more but at least have the pleasure of reading about it.

Jul 8, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #54 of 77
Quote:

http://www.little-tube.com/forum/for...view.asp?fid=3

Here’s where the rubber meets the road:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Little-Dot-MK-II...QQcmdZViewItem

This listing is for the MKIII.

Then "ask seller a question"

You find this in the upper right side of the page.

The seller’s name is David.

Tell David you want the MKIV SE.

The rest is done thru emails and PayPal.

Insurance is optional and costs $9.

Make sure you get it.

You will not regret it.

I listen 10 hrs per day and
haven't stopped
biggrin.gif

Do you need a paypal account?

Jul 8, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #55 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

those gold things around the tubes look ridiculous. do they serve a purpose other than masking the sweet glow of the tubes.

I agree. Especially because the understated simplicity of the MkIII looks so good!

GAD

Jul 8, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #56 of 77
Would be helpful for LDMKIV SE owners to weight in on what seemed to be the main weakness of this amp according to Benjamin's review at http://www.headphonesrock.com/2007/0...e-dot-mkiv-se/

"The only real criticism I have of the MKIV SE is that I found it difficult to enjoy certain electronica and hip hop recordings. The soundstage, airiness and tube warmth, made for a pleasant and non fatiguing sound, however bass impact in the lower frequencies was lacking, subsequently certain tracks that rely on deep bass lines and driving kick drums, lack the impact that can be found in other amplifiers in this price range. To be more specific, the bass IS there, and it IS plentiful, but kick drums and certain acoustic instruments lack the impact that they should have, and instead sound a bit airy and rubbery."

My HD580's already have a pretty weak bass and drop off below about 100hz. I'm probably going to have to umm...upgrade.
280smile.gif
Especially for trance/hip hop stuff. hmmmm

Jul 8, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #57 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by kar365 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would be helpful for LDMKIV SE owners to weight in on what seemed to be the main weakness of this amp according to Benjamin's review at http://www.headphonesrock.com/2007/0...e-dot-mkiv-se/

"The only real criticism I have of the MKIV SE is that I found it difficult to enjoy certain electronica and hip hop recordings. The soundstage, airiness and tube warmth, made for a pleasant and non fatiguing sound, however bass impact in the lower frequencies was lacking, subsequently certain tracks that rely on deep bass lines and driving kick drums, lack the impact that can be found in other amplifiers in this price range. To be more specific, the bass IS there, and it IS plentiful, but kick drums and certain acoustic instruments lack the impact that they should have, and instead sound a bit airy and rubbery."

My HD580's already have a pretty weak bass and drop off below about 100hz. I'm probably going to have to umm...upgrade.
280smile.gif
Especially for trance/hip hop stuff. hmmmm

Yes, that was also my initial impression of the bass part in the MKIII, that the lower-notes lacked kick and that rock sounded too laid-back. HOWEVER, the story changed when a competent DAC was linked into the music chain. The vocals were brought much forward and everything appeared much more musically brilliant. Perhaps Ben should try a Beresford MKIII DAC.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 8, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #58 of 77
After reading several invidious comments about the SE's miraculous ability to turn skin into rubber, I dragged out the Sheffield Lab's Drum & Tack Disc. If you ever wanted to be mugged but were afraid to ask, this disc is for you. Anyway, since the kick drum is an instrument I could give a rat's ass about
evil_smiley.gif
the fact that it kinda sorta sounded rubbery provided much needed blessed relief. Oh yes, there's something else. This is one of those discs that does 3D layering in spades. BTW, when I want to check out big drums I use the last 4 minutes of the 4th movement of Mahler’s 6th (Telarc/Levi). This is what it sounds like to be mugged in Heaven.

Jul 8, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #59 of 77
I ordered the Mk IV SE Friday and now need to get some good headphones for it.
Could you please do the test on the AKG K701's and give us a review? I'm considering those.
Anyone found any particular headphones that really stand out using this amp?
Jim

Jul 8, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #60 of 77
I have K701s (100-200 ? hrs burn-in) and coupled with the SE they sound superb. However, for me the K701s are uncomfortable so I can't wait to switch to the HD600s and the HD600s sounded a little better straight from the box. By this I mean the HD600's bass extends a little deeper and is better defined, mids are about the same and both sing their hearts out at the top. Since my comfort issues mean nothing to you, all my other comparisons are like trying to pick the perfect grain of sand. Both are world class phones and it would take a very peculiar amp indeed that could make HD600s sing and K701s stammer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back