Little Dot MKIII vs MKIV SE
Feb 23, 2010 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Denys

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I own a Little Dot MKIII and I really enjoy it with my Grados 325. I wonder if there's a noticeable difference between the MKIII and the MKIV SE.... worth to make the change....

Also, I bought Mullard tubes for the MKIII (M3181 I believe) would they fit on the MKIV ?

Or should I just upgrade the parts of the MKIII and have roughly the same results than the MKIV SE ???

What's your opinion on this ??

Thanks for your time..
smile_phones.gif

Denys

Feb 24, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 6
I think the MKIII with upgraded tubes is very close to the MKIV SE.
If you already own the MKIII I would recommend that you upgrade the power tubes and use the Mullards that you already have as opposed to purchasing the MKIVse.

Feb 24, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowedtoothdoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the MKIII with upgraded tubes is very close to the MKIV SE.
If you already own the MKIII I would recommend that you upgrade the power tubes and use the Mullards that you already have as opposed to purchasing the MKIVse.

Thank you Sir,

Any recommandation for the Power Tubes ? I did not think they had a significant change in sound....

Thanks for your time

Denys

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #4 of 6
I've had the MKIII and MKIV at the same time and I think the differences weren't that dramatic. From the MKIII thread most of the recommendations say that the power tubes only account for 10 to 15% of the sound and the driver tubes account for 85 to 90%. YMMV

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #5 of 6
Sovtek 6H30-PI power tubes makes MKIII amp sing. It makes whatever driver tubes you have in there work twice as good. balances everything out, cleaner signal, warmer texture and i have noticed more impact.

def worthy of $60 for the pair.

edit: also try the M8161's..... superb tube for this amp.

Aug 25, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #6 of 6
David M.

Did you have to mod the resistors from the 60s to the 120s.  I read in another post that the reviewer had experienced difficulty while rolling and the problem was the resistor (which required advanced modding).  I know nothing about tube components but researching has led me to the Little Dot.  As an entry level head-fier I'm also not sure what to go with - the III or the IVSE.  Any feedback/ considerations appreciated.

would be using grado sr80 or sony mdr7506

Users who are viewing this thread

Back