Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Feb 14, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #2,629 of 3,408
Hi jsvilla93,

Sounds very interesting what you write about the isolation transformer. What kind of unit are you using? I do not have any experience with isolation transformers, but looking into this on the net seems to indicate that they can be very effective in eliminating hum and noise from ground loops. Found an inexpensive unit from Radio Shack that a lot of people liked (even using it in cars):

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062214#pr-header-2062214

It seems to me that power line conditioners do a similar job. In a regular house there is a lot of electrical interference (RF noise) during the day when many lights, appliances and motors are on, and I found that the sound improved at night when these things are off.

Then you have the discussion about if you are listening to your equipment or to the music, but that is a different can of worms......

Feb 15, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #2,630 of 3,408
Hi Mordy, I'm using a ONEAC  CL1107 isolation transformer its basically like taking the transformer off the pole and putting it in your house. lower wattage of course. The main thing i noticed besides the improvement in sound is the voltage remains stable during fluctuations like the fridge running and other things in the house. With just my conditioner/suppressor i could see the voltage drops during those times mentioned. Just type oneac in the ebay search and you will see plenty. If you have any other questions just let me know.
Regards, Joe

Feb 15, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #2,631 of 3,408
Hello I have a question everyone seller talks about square and round getters what is the purpose of these designes and what effect do the have on sound quality. I have some WE 6AK5 tubes with solid rectangular getter off to the side and not on top the silvering is on the side instead of the top. Has anyone ever had these tubes. All i know is that they are one of the best sounding tubes ive heard in a while.
Thanks. Joe

Feb 15, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #2,632 of 3,408
I had some regular WE 403b tubes which are very nice, I recently just got some LM Ericsson 6AK5 tubes which are amazing in my MK IV SE.

they really bring out the bass in my T70's which most people consider to be lacking in the bass department. Not bloated bass though, very clean, and super deep. They also seemed to have made them slightly less bright.

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #2,633 of 3,408
Hello

I just installed the 2x EH 6H30Pi Gold and the 
[/size]  
and I got a small? problem now.

The sound is coming more from one side. And the bass is extremely harsh at high volumes. If this is because the the tubes arent burned in yet or not I don't know.

Do you think the sound will even out or do I need to send them back if sound is coming more from one side? 
I set the right channel to 100 and the left to 80 for it to sound somewhat okay. Still doesn't sound the same from both really though.

Any help would be very nice! 
happy_face1.gif

edit: I think I isolated the problem. It was the Mullard EF92 M8161 tubes that seemed to make the sound balance be broken and the bass too. So the question is regarding these.

Also, are the M8100 better? 

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #2,634 of 3,408
Hello.

First of all, clean all pins and contacts very thorough with for example isopropyl alcohol or something comparable. Maybe they're oxidated or just dirty.
To sort out if there's a general problem with one of the 4 tubes, you should switch sides one after another. So you could start with the driver tubes and switch left and right channel one, then do the same with the power tubes.
If the problem "moves" you're smarter and got the "bad" tube could be identified.

I'm not that sure but I don't think just the lack of burn in time is responsible for your misery. Sound does improve  -  normally volume should be nearly the same even with no burn in at all.

Did the problem turn up since you changed tubes or before?

Greets

Nik

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #2,635 of 3,408

Quote:
Hello.

First of all, clean all pins and contacts very thorough with for example isopropyl alcohol or something comparable. Maybe they're oxidated or just dirty.
To sort out if there's a general problem with one of the 4 tubes, you should switch sides one after another. So you could start with the driver tubes and switch left and right channel one, then do the same with the power tubes.
If the problem "moves" you're smarter and got the "bad" tube could be identified.

I'm not that sure but I don't think just the lack of burn in time is responsible for your misery. Sound does improve - normally volumes you be nearly the same even with no burn in at all.

Did the problem turn up since you changed tubes or before?

Greets

Nik

Hello! Thanks for the fast answer. I edited my post. It was the ef92 tubes. 

With ef92:
Bass is crackling on these right now at high volumes. Sound volume in general is about 50 % of volume with original tubes, also 20% more to one side.

So I just put one of these ef92 in beside my original tubes (the small ones) and decide which one is faulty and send that one back=?

thanks again for the help!!

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #2,636 of 3,408
Stupid question: Did you set the jumper right on the "EF92-positiion? The M8100 is a EF95 (jumper position OFF). Did you change the jumper setting? I hope so... If not: this could be your problem!!

If the EF92 or the M8100 is the better tube can't be finally decided. It's all about your personal preferences and up to you to decide which you like best. Both are very good tubes overall.

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #2,637 of 3,408

Quote:
Stupid question: Did you set the jumper right on the "EF92-positiion? The M8100 is a EF95 (jumper position OFF). Did you change the jumper setting? I hope so... If not: this could be your problem!!

If the EF92 or the M8100 is the better tube can't be finally decided. It's all about your personal preferences and up to you to decide which you like best. Both are very good tubes overall.

Jumpers?

How do I switch em and to what ?? First time I do this you see :)

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #2,638 of 3,408
Wooohoo!!

Crash course:  Jumpers are little (in this case) black "bridges" which are put on pins. looks like this http://www.paules-pc-forum.de/infothek/artikel/hardware/bios/CMOS_Clear/CLEAR_CMOS.jpg
Just black in your case.

There are two positions: the EF95 (standard / OFF) and the EF 92/91 (called EF92 on the pcb). You absolutely have to change the correct config to use these different types of tubes!

You get to them by looking at your amp from underneath. There are holes through which you can reach them and put on the correcht pins. Use pincers to grab the jumper.

And: read the manual! :D

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #2,639 of 3,408

Quote:
Wooohoo!!

Crash course:  Jumpers are little (in this case) black "bridges" which are put on pins. looks like this http://www.paules-pc-forum.de/infothek/artikel/hardware/bios/CMOS_Clear/CLEAR_CMOS.jpg
Just black in your case.

There are two positions: the EF95 (standard / OFF) and the EF 92/91 (called EF92 on the pcb). You absolutely have to change the correct config to use these different types of tubes!

You get to them by looking at your amp from underneath. There are holes through which you can reach them and put on the correcht pins. Use pincers to grab the jumper.

And: read the manual!

Oooooooooohhhhhh !!!!! Now it works :D haha, awesome!! I just had to switch the ef92 switches to on (they're in the holes beneath), that's it. No more crackling bass or strange volume. 

Infinity, you're my hero! :wink:

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #2,640 of 3,408
Awesome! Everybody got a hero inside!
Now I wish you a happy tube rolling!

And don't forget to switch'em everytime you swith the tube type. You should also try the Voskhod 6J1P-EV (gold grid) EF95 or the equivalent slightly different named Voskhods. If you're interested: I got a pair for sale right now. Just pm me for details. They sound superb and pretty cheap. I have another pair in use myself and love'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back