Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Aug 27, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #2,551 of 3,408
Hi G~M,

Here is a link to an auction that finished a few days ago with Mullard CV4010 tubes for under $4.00 incl shipping. (No, I did not win this auction)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280727900764?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

So, with patience you can find bargains.

Aug 28, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #2,554 of 3,408
Yes, 'Voshkod' sounds wrong at all for a Russian guy. 'Voskhod' is the most accurate translation, I guess. There is no English 'sh' sound in the original spelling. 

And yes, Impulsive, you've missed our quite often statements about  6J1P-EV  =  6ZH1P-EV .  If you look on the photos of both tubes, you'll see, even the factory marking is the same.. 

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #2,556 of 3,408
I just switched from the stock tubes to the Mullard EF95 6AK5, sound seems to have a little more bass as the 5654 (whatever the name ) stock ones.
Also its a bit less bright, which i kinda like.
Differences seem to be minute though.
I guess i need to listen to them a little more
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #2,557 of 3,408

Quote:
I just switched from the stock tubes to the Mullard EF95 6AK5, sound seems to have a little more bass as the 5654 (whatever the name ) stock ones.
Also its a bit less bright, which i kinda like.
Differences seem to be minute though.
I guess i need to listen to them a little more
smily_headphones1.gif

That's the exactly same experience I had with Mullards.

Sep 3, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #2,558 of 3,408
FYI

For those who will eventually drop a pin in the Little Dot MKIII while changing the placement, as I have done for the first time, there is no need to panic (as I did when the pin dropped from my tweezers into the unit). It was such a sinking feeling not knowing what faced me in the retrieval process. But as the famous quote says "There is nothing to fear but fear itself."

I apologize if this has been discussed earlier, but this thread is too gigantic to check for earlier mentions. 

I discovered that retrieving the pin was painless. I just removed the four set screws on the front face of the unit with an Allen wrench. The only connecting wires to the front face were connected to the volume pot so take care that these aren't stressed. I found the pin happily laying on the roomy bottom of the unit as if to say "Ok you found me, now put me back!" 

Now that I have faced this dilemma the fear is gone, as I'm sure that I will have to repeat this many times to come. 

Oct 5, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #2,560 of 3,408
These tubes have the strongest bass in my system, but make sure they are the PQ (Premium Quality) variant and made in Holland.
In terms of overall great sound other tubes may be better - look at the post at the beginning of this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide

Nov 2, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #2,561 of 3,408

I've just received a batch from a very nice UK seller:

Mullard 8100 (now burning in)
NEC 5654
Siemens 5654

I like NEC monitors on my computer, so their valves are bound to be good, right?
And you can't argue with German engineering...

In a few days I will report my findings :)

Without any burning in at all the Mullards sound just fine already!

Nov 4, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #2,563 of 3,408

The driver tubes my LD III came with are one with no markings, and one with a barely legible Toshiba logo. Innards of the two looked the same.

I've tried all 3 sets of recently delivered tubes (Mullard 8100, NEC 5654, Siemens 5654) - only the Mullards have been properly burned in, but I've now had the Siemens in for a few hours.

I didn't notice any real difference with the Mullards and NEC... but something is causing me to want to leave the Siemens in place. Maybe a little bit crisper?

Certainly there is no "night and day" difference between any of the tubes I have tried including the originals shipped with the unit. Still it's good to have spares!

I have some gold filament military spec 6N6 power tubes on the way (I hope!) so the game will continue.

Winner - if there is one - amonst the driver tubes I have? Siemens.

Nov 5, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #2,564 of 3,408
Two more tube sets arrived this morning, which will be the end of this chapter for now.

- Military Russian 6N6P power tubes - supposedly gold grid though I can't tell - from a seemingly credible seller in Bulgaria
- Voshkod driver tubes

The new Mil-Spec 6N6P have been warming for a few hours. If anything so far they have less bass extension and seem dryer/brighter than the previous - also Russian - 6N6P tubes.

So these military 6N6P combined with Siemens drivers produce a crispy kind of sound... I feel inclined to try swapping the power tubes back when these have had another day's burn-in.

Unless the Voshkods do something wild I will probably stick with Siemens for the crispier sound that I like.

Nov 5, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #2,565 of 3,408
Will these tubes with my LD MKIII?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/390344056932?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_781wt_1082

I'm new to this tube rolling business - these seem to be recommended by a lot of people right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back