Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Oct 26, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #2,221 of 3,408

Quote:

mordy, i'd like to try what you suggested. the prob i have encountered is the fact that virtually all the music i have on hand is stereo, which means that the left and right channel plays different tones as per the song  per artist. either i find mono tracks and mirror them or somehow find a way to direct all of the stereo track to either the left or right channel without removing the opposite channel's content. hmmmmm

If you use Foobar jyc327 there is an option under file -> Preferences -> Playback -> DSP Manager -> Downmix Channels to mono.. Then you can experiment
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #2,222 of 3,408
Hello All,
It has been a while since I posted on this thread. I have a Mk III and have only been using EF95 tube types. I have tried all brands, but my favorite have been the Tung sol Mil-Spec 6AK5 5654. Just a great all around sound with Deep and Wide soundstage. A lot of separation in the middle of the stage. I finally got around to changing the jumpers to try out some Mullard 8161s. I have only had these things running for about 18hrs, but I am not impressed at all with them. They are very harsh to the ear, and it seems like the middle of the sound stage is to close to the listener (way up front in the mix)? Has anybody else experienced this from them. I know I have only had these things for a couple of days and they need more burn in time. I am going to give these things 40hrs.

Oct 26, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #2,223 of 3,408
i do use foobar i didn't know that. thanks. maesto, what cans u using? the ef95 i find the tungsol are very nice or the mullard cv4010, i dont like the rca. since they give too much bass for me. I have the GE 5654w (non 5stars) they are close to the tungsol. the mullard ef92 and 91 i have seems good with my shure sh840, but with the akg k702 the highs are a tad harsh. i think they k702 needs more time breakin in tho so i got from another head-fier who's apparently only used it for like 5 hrs.

well i had the MK III rev, spirit is enjoying them with upgrade tubes in Norway. i have the mk IV se now. the 6h6 power from the III gets HOT on the unit so i have to wait a lot longer to swap if i need. yes i have the 6h30pi as well but i wanted to know if they IVse makes diff if i use the same power tubes from the III. am WAITING anxiously for my pairs of 6h30pi-dr... should be here on friday.

the 8161 pushes the bass further back from what i remember. i know that vocals are very much so like FRONT row. that being said I'm just too impatient to burn them in lol. so my mullard ef91/92 only have 40-50 hrs so i need to wait to see. if you are lucky enf to have the rev2 of the MK III try the 6h30. they help to enhance the sound. maybe its just the stupid iv se that's playin with me on the 6h6. i need like a month b4 i can really comment.

hmmm will be trying that foobar option out just to see if my tubes are funny.

oh anyone looking for 6ak5 tubes? bought too many. i have xtra pair of tungsol, rogers (phillips really), maybe i have them raytheon's as well.

Oct 27, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #2,225 of 3,408
I put the Sovtek tubes in yesterday... No imediate difference in sound maaaaaaybe a little more depth (but that can be placebo for putting $100 tubes in the LD) However. The LD runs quite a bit hotter than usual, even the volume knob gets warm (not uncomfortable so but..) There is no chance of fire, is there? I know tube amps supposed to run hot, but the whole chassi is warm. Definately 10-20 degrees celsius over the stock tubes.. Need to find my temp gun..

Hre is the results...

SOVTEK 

Front panel :     38.6c : 101.48 ºF
Chassi :           41.2c : 105.8 ºF
Sovtek tubes : 140.0c : 284 ºF
Driver Tubes :    50.0c : 122 ºF

STOCK

Front Panel :    33.0c : 91.4 ºF
Chassi :           34.4c : 93.92 ºF
Stock Tubes : 131.0c : 267.8 ºF
Driver Tubes :   51.6c : 124.44 ºF

Oct 27, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #2,226 of 3,408
hmm the stereo to mono downmix is.....hmmm not what i expected. i might need a true mono source. its too bad my technics turntable is missing the balance weight. the downmixed sound is muddled. 

JK the MK III is suppose to get warm all over, just like when you're in love. LOL mine did that too even with stock tubes. my VI SE doesnt do that as its like twice as wide. also i do notice that the tube sockets are almost flush with the casing, whereas the MK III sits a bit lower. radiant heat transfer? I was told that the sovtek 6h30 that my unit can use some are produced after 1990, of which is suppose to sound worst. lol i never tried the 6h6 sovtek tho. u see i had the MK III for like 1 mth and i jumped to the IV, impulse really. the DRs are sooooo close I can smell them...well its in canPost at sauga. and no i cant really smell the tubes maybe the boxes from like 30 years ago. crumbles in your hands just like a good cookie. will measure my temps when i can get a temp gun.

Oct 27, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #2,229 of 3,408

Quote:
What's the price of the Tung Sol Tubes?

Are you referring  to the Tung sol Mil-Spec 6AK5 5654? These are not expensive prob paid about $30 for a pair. I have to say, last night I was so unimpressed by the Mullard 8161s, I yanked them and put another set of Tung sol's in and (WOW) what a difference. Un used Tung Sols and the SQ, became so much better. The thing that really jumps out is the Imaging, very 3D. You can really feel the air around the instruments!

Oct 27, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #2,230 of 3,408
its 20 for the 2, it was originally from my MK III purchase, that owner rolled enf tubes that the lettering if rubbed off save the "tung *ol" from one tube.

where you located? at least the lettering rubs off lol, so they are at least really tubes. was told that some mullards were "remanufactured" with lettering thats perm.

Oct 27, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #2,232 of 3,408

Quote:
I also got the "get them out get them ouuuuuut" feeling from the 8161 Mullards. I will get some Tung - Sol`s since I love the "airy 3D feel"
biggrin.gif
I get that from the M8100 Mullards though...

Funny Stuff!,
Cant wait to here your thoughts on the Tung sols! I have a pair of JHY Hytrons burning in. I will let you know how they are once I give them some burn in.

Oct 28, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #2,233 of 3,408
I have just bought a used pair of Mullard E95F at $1 :). Actually it sounds quite nice, but the rusty looking of the middle-section box-like part (I don't know the official name) slightly worries me. This part is pure grey in my Siemens 6AK5W for example. Is this a sign of being too old or too heavily used or actually it is quite normal?

Thanks.

Oct 29, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #2,234 of 3,408

Quote:
I have just bought a used pair of Mullard E95F at $1 :). Actually it sounds quite nice, but the rusty looking of the middle-section box-like part (I don't know the official name) slightly worries me. This part is pure grey in my Siemens 6AK5W for example. Is this a sign of being too old or too heavily used or actually it is quite normal?

Thanks.

of all the ones i have even the used ones i got its just grey/black ish never rusty looking. you mean rusty looking as if its reddish in colour on the center barrel/plates? that's a bad sign i think.

Oct 29, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #2,235 of 3,408
In fact the plates have fairly evenly and densely distributed black spots on grey background, not reddish at all. The spots are so even that from a certain distance actually it looks almost pure very dark grey. almost black. It just reminded me rust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back