Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Jan 21, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #2,101 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by HenrySsy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you guys think i'll be missing out on the 'tube rolling experience' if i jump straight to your favorites?

Edit: Eh, I'm just gonna grab the Voshod 6J1P-EV and Mullards M8161. I wonder why there's different prices on ebay for the same pair from the same seller...

Tube rolling is addictive!!! But if you start with a few tubes that get good reviews by most then you are ahead of the game from the start for sure. And then you can gradually feed your addiction when great deals come up on eBay.

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #2,102 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank I /img/forum/go_quote.gif
6H30 with the Mullard CV4010 is magic in my system. The amp is completle now. They brougth it to another level especially using the AKG 701. No need for me to flop any more tubes. I have enough tubes to last for ten years.

That's good to hear...I am still debating whether I want to drop another $50 on power tubes for this amp, or sell it and try out the new La Figaro 332S. With the Cardas cable I just got for my HD600s and the Russian groove tubes I just rolled, I am much more impressed with what I hear from this amp. I'm wondering if upgrading the power tubes is the last step to make me content, or if I should try another amp...there just seems to be something missing right now.

Have you ever heard any of Darkvoice line compared to the MKIII? And if so, with the power tube upgrade on the MKIII, would you say it competes or trumps any of them?

Thanks.

Jan 23, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #2,103 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by jclaytonsound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's good to hear...I am still debating whether I want to drop another $50 on power tubes for this amp, or sell it and try out the new La Figaro 332S. With the Cardas cable I just got for my HD600s and the Russian groove tubes I just rolled, I am much more impressed with what I hear from this amp. I'm wondering if upgrading the power tubes is the last step to make me content, or if I should try another amp...there just seems to be something missing right now.

Have you ever heard any of Darkvoice line compared to the MKIII? And if so, with the power tube upgrade on the MKIII, would you say it competes or trumps any of them?

Thanks.

I would upgrade the tubes. Its a major improvement. It better than the Ruusian 6n6p and it really transformed my amp and its a wonder with the AKG 701 or any other phones. I personally would stay away from Darkvoice with what going on there. My Little Dot has performed flawlessy and I really see no need to upgrade my amp or source. Thats another amazing story. I bought the Marantz DV6001 Universal player on close out for 250.00 and I still in amazement how good the player is.I also use an Audioquest blabk samba interconnect. My headphone sytem is complete. Listening right now to JVC RX900 as its burning in. Wow 55.00

Jan 24, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #2,104 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank I /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would upgrade the tubes. Its a major improvement. It better than the Ruusian 6n6p and it really transformed my amp and its a wonder with the AKG 701 or any other phones. I personally would stay away from Darkvoice with what going on there. My Little Dot has performed flawlessy and I really see no need to upgrade my amp or source. Thats another amazing story. I bought the Marantz DV6001 Universal player on close out for 250.00 and I still in amazement how good the player is.I also use an Audioquest blabk samba interconnect. My headphone sytem is complete. Listening right now to JVC RX900 as its burning in. Wow 55.00

Thanks, that's certainly a better option for my wallet.
beyersmile.png

Jan 26, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #2,105 of 3,408
Just got the Russian groove tubes and plugged them into my MK III. Wow...what a change from my stock driver tubes. Deeper, but controlled bass. I love them! So cheap too!
Next purchase...6H30-Pi's!

Feb 2, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #2,106 of 3,408
Where can I find the Voshod 6ZH1P-EV that penchum talks about in his review of the Little Dot MK III?

He says
Quote:

First were the Russian 6Zh1P-EVs. These inexpensive little gems are a rock and roller’s dream! The dynamics and punch they provide is very addictive! Extreme lows with punch, mids that are flat and accurate, and highs that drive the music into a toe tapping experience! I just love them!

Feb 2, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #2,107 of 3,408
Check eBay for 6J1P-EV. It's the same tube.

Edit: It looks like the Voshods have now become somewhat rare. I don't see any on ebay right now.

Feb 2, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #2,109 of 3,408
The manual says you need circuit revision 2.0 or higher in order to use 6H30 type power tubes. How do I check if my amp is in this category?

Feb 3, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #2,110 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by nivlek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The manual says you need circuit revision 2.0 or higher in order to use 6H30 type power tubes. How do I check if my amp is in this category?

Flip the amp over and look through the smallest hole on the left, closest to the front. You should be able to see the circuit board through the hole (probably need a flashlight), and the version number is printed on the board.

It should say Little Dot MKIII v2.0 at the very edge.

Feb 3, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #2,112 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizdan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are these them?

Those are the right tube variants but they don't seem to be Voshod, which were popular a year ago. I did a search but don't see Voshods anywhere anymore. Maybe these are the same brand. It was the USSR after all. Wasn't everything made by the same "company"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back