Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Dec 8, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #2,011 of 3,408
I have owned this amp for several months now along with my cans, and over that period of time I can say that they are broken/burned in. I am looking into tube rolling on the side, before buying an SS amp to compare and contrast.

Please recommend me some tubes based on the following:

PC -> foobar2000 (E-MU ASIO + Noise Sharpening DSP) -> E-MU 0404 USB -> LDMKIII (stock tubes, gain 10) -> DT880/600

When I do sit down to enjoy music, it is mainly electronic (breakbeat, electro, some ambient, all based on the current mood). On the side I do enjoy some acoustic, rock, some classical (Shawshank Redemption soundtrack, etc).

I have searched the vast amount of pages in this thread, only to end up having to ask for some insight based on my setup.

TIA

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #2,012 of 3,408
WOW ...what a difference a tube makes. I`ve become addicted to tube rolling, trying probably over 20 different varieties of the EF91, EF92, and 6ak5 variants. I had tried a couple of the Russian Rockets earlier and wasn`t that impressed but recently tried a new pair i just bought...the `groove tube` the 6j1p-ev. They actually have 3 grooves in the tube. Great punch and dynamics with a very balanced sound. You can feel the kick drum with this tube for sure. One of my favorites now. Was gonna put my LD up for sale but I`m enjoying it too much now.

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #2,013 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinisterm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn these RTC's look cool. Lots of light in the bottom of the tube, and a pillar of light rising from there all the way to the top of the tube.
smily_headphones1.gif
Wish I had camera so I could share this beauty with you.

... and they sound really nice with AKG 701's, but I'll get back to it after the tubes get some hours.

Sinisterm,
I have ordered the LDMKIII and have the AKG 701's. I just ordered the Mullard's EF91's that you mentioned in a previous post. What are the RTC's that you are referring to above and how do they sound after break in compared to the Mullards. Also can you provide a link to where you got them.
Thanks,

Bowedtootdoc

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #2,014 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinisterm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These RTC's were pretty good straight out of box, but now with hours they got some weird boost to bass, especially drums sound boomy and so. Pretty horrible sounding to my taste at least.

Tried with AKG 701, GS1000 and Ultrasone HFI-780.

The 701's are unlistenable with these. Bleh, time to try something else then.

Looks like I found the answer? Does anyone have a link to purchase the Russian tubes mentioned earlier in this thread?

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #2,015 of 3,408
Dec 24, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #2,016 of 3,408
Just brought a set of the russian " grove tubes" can't wait to roll them! Has anyone tried the sovtec 6h30pi power tubes, I can't beleive the improvement in SQ I got after I installed them!

Dec 24, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #2,017 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by hipcat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just brought a set of the russian " grove tubes" can't wait to roll them! Has anyone tried the sovtec 6h30pi power tubes, I can't beleive the improvement in SQ I got after I installed them!

What type of improvement specifically?

Dec 24, 2009 at 9:55 AM Post #2,018 of 3,408
everything improved tighter bass the highs don't sound as harsh and the mids are a little
more liquid. They made all my tubes sound better but the most improved tubes was the mullard 8100's they went from my 3rd favorite to my best.

Dec 26, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #2,019 of 3,408
Great...did you notice the amp running any hotter with these tubes in?

Quote:

everything improved tighter bass the highs don't sound as harsh and the mids are a little
more liquid. They made all my tubes sound better but the most improved tubes was the mullard 8100's they went from my 3rd favorite to my best.

Dec 26, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #2,020 of 3,408
No, it did not seem to run any hotter but I hooked up a small silent computer fan that
turns on when I turn my amp on this keeps my amp running pretty cool.

Dec 28, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #2,021 of 3,408
Hipcat, Do you happen to know where I can find a pair of these? Thanks!

Quote:

Dec 29, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #2,023 of 3,408
Quote:

I got mine from Sovtek 6H30PI 29.95 for 1 + shipping. Got mine pretty quickly.

Thanks.

Dec 30, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #2,024 of 3,408
Hi guys,

I'm using some Ultrasone Pro 750 cans with my Little Dot Mk III, I've still got the stock power tubes in there (6H6П) and rolled out the stock drivers a while back with some Mullard EF95 (CV4010) tubes. I get a little bit of distortion with high amounts of bass and treble on certain tracks and was wondering what other tubes people suggest for trying to overcome this?

The DIP switches are set for high sensitivity/low impedance headphones to match my Ultrasones. I've also tried some Mullard EF92 (CV4014) tubes, however these gave me a lot of distortion.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 30, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #2,025 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.P.6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys,

I'm using some Ultrasone Pro 750 cans with my Little Dot Mk III, I've still got the stock power tubes in there (6H6П) and rolled out the stock drivers a while back with some Mullard EF95 (CV4010) tubes. I get a little bit of distortion with high amounts of bass and treble on certain tracks and was wondering what other tubes people suggest for trying to overcome this?

The DIP switches are set for high sensitivity/low impedance headphones to match my Ultrasones. I've also tried some Mullard EF92 (CV4014) tubes, however these gave me a lot of distortion.

Thanks in advance.

You shouldn't be getting any distortion. Since it happens with two different set of driver tubes, I'd suggest swapping out with a different set of 6H6N power tubes to see if that is the problem first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back