Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Nov 13, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #1,981 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ihave the prices on those 6H30pi tubes come down at all? Last I checked they were like $65 a pair...

I think it's come down a little but still about $20 a tube. I bought mine used and still paid $50 for the pair.

Nov 14, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #1,982 of 3,408
Hi everyone. I've been enjoying my new MKIII for a few weeks now (both as a head amp and preamp), and have about 60 to 80 hours on the stock driver tubes. They sounded real good right out of the box, but now sound even better as they are breaking in. In fact, I am 'blown away' at the level of detail and other positive sonic attributes of my stock tubes! I am hearing things i've never heard before in my CD collection.
o2smile.gif

The amp came with RAYTHEON JRP5654 6AK5 driver tubes. Does anyone else really like the sound of their stock tubes? Just curious.

I do want to tube roll, and want to start out by purchasing just one pair of extra matched tubes for now that would work with my MKIII in it's current default switch position. I am, however, a bit confused. I know that most tubes are NOS, manufactured many years or decades ago. Are these old tubes really new and un-used? Or are most of them used? Also, are there any driver tubes for the MKIII that are currently being manufactured in 2009? Can you recommend specific tubes to get as my first (and probably not last) tube rolling?

Thanks in advance for your help and time.

George

Nov 14, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #1,983 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by CQ DX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The amp came with RAYTHEON JRP5654 6AK5 driver tubes. Does anyone else really like the sound of their stock tubes? Just curious.

I know that most tubes are NOS, manufactured many years or decades ago. Are these old tubes really new and un-used? Or are most of them used? Also, are there any driver tubes for the MKIII that are currently being manufactured in 2009? Can you recommend specific tubes to get as my first (and probably not last) tube rolling?

My amp came with GE 5654's which were fine, but nothing special.

About being unused you can't really be 100% certain. The seller can say what he wants about it so you kinda just have to trust what he says. Good reputation sellers generally sell what they say, but since the tubes are 50+ years old I guess no one really knows where they've been. Nothing to worry about though, if the seller says he tested them and they tested good, it's enough for me.

Especially really cheap tubes stated matched etc. I wouldn't count on it
smily_headphones1.gif
Neither would I worry about matching tubes or not, have only bought one pair of matched tubes(almost hunded tubes in all, phew made me shiver when I counted it), and have had no problems with any tubes.

I don't know of any 200x production line of driver tubes. But as far as I know NOS tubes are generally considered to have better sound quality.

There's that power tube from 200x year at least, Electro Harmonix 6H30Pi.

I'd suggest you to try M8161 Mullards (EF92) or Tung-Sol 6AK5W (EF95) or Russian 6ZH1P-EV (same thing as
6J1P-EV) (EF95) from the cheaper end tubes.

M8161's are known of their musicality(is that even a word?
smily_headphones1.gif
) and smoothness in mids, with nice bass and liquid highs.

Especially the russian's are really cheap and have a very nice sound. Just make sure they are made in Voshod plant. Great for rock/metal.

Tung-Sol's might be a bit more expensive but they give really nice detail and highs, with nice bass too. I really loved them with Grado 325i's. Though with GS-1000 the highs were too bright and sibilance was too great.

In the more expensive end Western Electric 403b should be a great tube, haven't heard it myself but what I've read about it here, makes me want to buy a pair or two as soon as I find them somewhere. Anyone have spare 403b's here willing to sell?
redface.gif

At the moment I'm using Siemens 6AK5W tubes with GS-1000, which I find pretty pleasing. They aren't as good as tubes I mentioned, but they are a bit shy in the higher end, which reduces sibilance a great deal. Good pairing with the GS-1000's.

Just woke up so some details could be a bit off but hopefully this helps you with your decision. Welcome to the tuberollers world.

Nov 14, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #1,984 of 3,408
I have some 6AK5 EF95 6J1 CV4010 Mullard tubes on the way for my MKII, does anyone have a suggestion for a complimentary power tube for use with Grados and other low impedance cans?

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #1,985 of 3,408
Read through most of the thread and have come across the M8161 Mullards (EF92) which seem like a good fit from what people have described SQ wise. I have a MKII which can take the EF92 also. I'm looking for a really tubey sounding liquid midrange tube. Right now I'm running stock tubes and looking a set of tubes in the cheaper range (no more than $20) Is the M8161 the best option? Any other recommendations?

Nov 17, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #1,987 of 3,408
Enjoying these used 6AK5 Raytheon's I got today from eBay seller "3d electrical". Definitely sound a bit more "hybrid-tube"-y, which I'm enjoying, honestly - a neutral-ish sound. Seem a little louder/more gain-y somehow, despite just being driver tubes. Definitely more subdued, solid state-like bass, though, and less warmth (again, hybrid tube-like).

Nov 17, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #1,988 of 3,408
atsmile.gif
Hey all just got my mkIII yesterday and am burning it in now. Ordered it off ebay and happened to get it off David zhezhe than noticed how highly he's spoken of in this forum, glad I got it from him easy fast deal! I've also read through the hole thread! whew losts of great info thanks to everyone that posted!! Burning in the stock tubes now but have ordered some tubes to play with, 2 jan 6ak5w tung-sol's,2 rca 6ak5's, 2 matched 6j1p-ev's(voskod),2 jan 5654 ge's and 2 matched 6j1p-e(novosibirsk). Any advice on what order to burn these tubes in.Also thanks to lingling1337 for making some cables for me they work great!Well back to listen to my amp looking forward to sharing and gaining info here!
Hipcat
L3000.gif

Nov 19, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #1,989 of 3,408
Ok this may be a really stupid question, but I need it answered since I haven't seen it anywhere...

How exactly do you switch the jumpers on and off to roll different tube types? I know all of the tubes that go with jumpers off or jumpers on, I just don't know how to change them.

Nov 19, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #1,990 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by EluamousNailo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok this may be a really stupid question, but I need it answered since I haven't seen it anywhere...

How exactly do you switch the jumpers on and off to roll different tube types? I know all of the tubes that go with jumpers off or jumpers on, I just don't know how to change them.

180px-Jumperblock-shunts.jpg

There's holes in the bottom of the amp where you can find pins (two sets, two pins in each), which you need to connect with jumpers like in that picture.

In newer version MKIII's (if I recall correct) there are dip-switches you just need to set to other position.

EDIT: So just to make it 100% clear: If the pins are connected the jumpers are ON and you can use EF92 etc.
When the pins aren't connected the jumpers are OFF, and you can use EF95

Nov 19, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #1,992 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinisterm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
180px-Jumperblock-shunts.jpg

In newer version MKIII's (if I recall correct) there are dip-switches you just need to set to other position.

From what i have read they have had problems with the switches and have gone back the jumpers. I purchased mine around Aug/Sep. and it uses the jumpers.

Nov 19, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #1,993 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdirty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what i have read they have had problems with the switches and have gone back the jumpers. I purchased mine around Aug/Sep. and it uses the jumpers.

That is true but then they went back to switches I believe. I bought mine before you and it had switches (2nd time) and they work flawlessly. Not sure if they have since again gone back to jumpers - again but am so glad to have the switches because it's very easy.

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #1,994 of 3,408
Anyone have an idea what the best tubes for metal music would be? More specifically: Black metal, melodic death, folk types. Just have stock tubes right now.

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #1,995 of 3,408
I have some matched 6AK5 EF95 6J1 CV4010 Mullard driver tubes and ECC99 / E182CC / RUSSIAN 6N6P power tubes waiting for my dang MKII to show up. Has anyone tried this combo yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back