Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Feb 16, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #1,546 of 3,408
ive got some 6Н6П running in my LDMKIII and it sounds great (paired with M8100s - big shield). Cant really compare it to stuff. wanting to get some backup power tubes...
edit: im thinking about getting sone 6N6P, though I have a feeling this is just an alternate t/l of 6h6

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #1,548 of 3,408
just to throw my .02 in, about the whole EF91 thing...

i put in a pair of Mullard EF91/6AM6's in my LDIII and it sounds just fine, more than just fine actually, sounds awesome, worlds better than the original tubes... the only thing ive noted is if the music has lots of bass, like LOTS, it tends to distort the low end a little

i bought them at a ham fest (ham radio swap meet) for $4.25, the guy put them in his tube tester and they both tested strong, unknown if used or NOS, they were in their boxes...

im using them with HD650's

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #1,549 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i put in a pair of Mullard EF91/6AM6's in my LDIII and it sounds just fine, more than just fine actually, sounds awesome, worlds better than the original tubes... the only thing ive noted is if the music has lots of bass, like LOTS, it tends to distort the low end a little

i bought them at a ham fest (ham radio swap meet) for $4.25, the guy put them in his tube tester and they both tested strong, unknown if used or NOS, they were in their boxes...

Which speaks exactly to what has been said - you're using high-impedance cans, which don't seem to have any issues. Its the lower impedance headphones that seem to have some sibilance with the EF91s.

Feb 16, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #1,550 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which speaks exactly to what has been said - you're using high-impedance cans, which don't seem to have any issues. Its the lower impedance headphones that seem to have some sibilance with the EF91s.

well i read all 104 pages and somehow missed that... im wondering why the impedence would matter since the EF91 would be followed by both the output tube and the output capacitors...

Feb 16, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #1,551 of 3,408
It was actually touched on again just a few days ago. I'm not an expert but I think that is was determined that the EF91's draw more current than either EF95 (175mA) or EF92 (200) -- forget the number on the 91s -- which I suppose could cause issues... I don't know that a consensus was ever reached, though.

Feb 17, 2009 at 12:46 PM Post #1,552 of 3,408
hello guys,

I'd like some advise for my beloved SR325i

Considering I already have the LD I+ with LT1364 opamp and some nice tubes (mullard 6AK5W, WE408A, mullard M8161...) and that I am in love with the sound produced

Do you consider that acquiring the LD MKIII (pure tube amp) will be an improvement for me or the Hybrid LDI + is best amp between the two I can have for my SR325i

thank guys,

keep on the good job.

Feb 18, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #1,553 of 3,408
Well, after letting these tubes burn in for 30 hours or so I can do a small review:

Recently I picked up a match set of the Vishod pre-amp tubes everyone's been mentioning lately to try in place of the Sylvania Golds I had in my MKIII for a long while.

As another poster mentioned you can, in fact, hear an immediate difference with these tubes. Usually tubes have such subtle differences that you really have to train your ears to know what to look for but I could tell there was something going on in the low end with the Vishods right away. Compared to the Golds they definitely seem to be more suited to my AKG 701s than the Golds. The 701s, as everyone knows, has a tighter-than-a-snare-drum low end that needs a little kick in the ass to get moving. These tubes definitely provide more of that. The Golds did seem to be more... oh, I don't know... detailed maybe. There's definitely something more focused about the Vishods. It's as though sounds are more distinctly separated from each other but the stage itself isn't as wide or as sparkly than it was with the Sylvania Golds (that may be interpreted as "muddy" to some).

Either way I'm keeping the Vishods in my MKIII for the foreseeable future (I listen to metal and progessive rock) but the Golds are staying close by. These good Vishod tubes are pretty damn cheap too if you look in the right places. I still need to try out some Mullard large shield M8161s, though.

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #1,554 of 3,408
Is there a place to buy 6h6-pi (or better, I guess) power tubes for less than 50$ per matched pair? I've been looking on Ebay for a while but the best I've managed is getting burned for 2$ by a user who deleted his account yesterday.

Feb 18, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #1,555 of 3,408
Feb 18, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #1,556 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by spt1224 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, the stock 6N6P-I (6Н6П-И) and 6N6P (6Н6П) are not exactly the same models, but they are very similar, and both can be used in the MKIII. I recently e-mailed David about this:

I doubt they'll be an improvement over the stock tubes, but it is good to know they'll work as replacement tubes.

All I know is that Н, П, and И in Cyrillic (Russian, Ukrainian, etc.) are equivalent to N, P, and I, respectively, in the Latin alphabet. So you'll often see the tube models represented by what the Cyrillic letters look like (such as 6H6N-N) instead of the correct translations (such as 6N6P-I).

Also re-read this post.

Feb 18, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #1,557 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max F /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just won the bid but haven't heard anything, so wish me luck. If they are good, I may trade somebody a pair or two for some other tubes.

Seller is in Ukraine, so probably sleeping. You should be fine - but good luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #1,559 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had similar problems with the amp, but then turned down my source (currently using an analog output) and found that the amp no longer clipped.
Could it be a clipping issue? (say if you are using a 24bit source at 100% volume)

Feb 20, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #1,560 of 3,408
Curious, I wonder if the EF91s are more sensitive to source voltage. I still need to find some EF91s to put in my MKIII to try it out. However, my source is pretty loud (2v) - Squeezebox3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back