Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Aug 26, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #1,201 of 3,408
question: is there any differences between the link I posted for the tubes and the tubes yen sells? Both state they are matched tubes, but the yen ones cost $36 total while the other would be $18 total.

This auction is for a high quality MATCHED PAIR (2) of New Old Stock (NOS) Russian military-spec Voshod 6J1P-EV / 6AK5 vacuum tubes in original military boxes.

or

Lot of 4 NOS!!! Russian Tubes 6Zh1P-EV ( 6Ж1П-ЕВ )

an quality equivalent of the EF95 / 6F32 / 6AK7

Military equipment , high reliability, long life.
The tubes are never used. Old stock.
TESTED, MATCHED + + + 100% OK!!!

*confused*

Aug 26, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #1,202 of 3,408
Alright, I have a rather newbish question that I'm sure has an incredibly simple answer, though I can't seem to find that answer by digging through the endless pages of this forum through the search function. Alright, my question is... how exactly do you take out and put in tubes on a LD MKIII? Just got it a week ago and it's my first headphone amp and all, so I am completely clueless as to how you get them out without breaking them. Do you just pull or twist them out? I think I'd like to start some tube rolling to find a sound I really enjoy and of course, this is the first thing I need to know.

Aug 26, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #1,203 of 3,408
Pascal.....either source is good.Yen does match them much more closely than the "check if they're good on meter method" employed by the other guy.

FWIW I have tubes from Yen and the cheap way...either are good.

Peete.

Aug 26, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #1,204 of 3,408
thanks peete
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll grab some.. I also got some Sylvanias 6AK5.. square getter, but it was pretty cheap.

Aug 26, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #1,205 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hrama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, I have a rather newbish question that I'm sure has an incredibly simple answer, though I can't seem to find that answer by digging through the endless pages of this forum through the search function. Alright, my question is... how exactly do you take out and put in tubes on a LD MKIII? Just got it a week ago and it's my first headphone amp and all, so I am completely clueless as to how you get them out without breaking them. Do you just pull or twist them out? I think I'd like to start some tube rolling to find a sound I really enjoy and of course, this is the first thing I need to know.

Gently rock the tube back and forth while pulling up at the same time. I use gloves when doing this and always make sure the glass is fingerprint free. The oil from our skin creates hot spots that isn't good for the tubes. Do not use cleaners on the tubes...just some slight breath followed by a very soft lint free cloth. Some treat the pins before inserting (with Caig Deoxit, then Pro Gold and others don't do anything of the kind).

Make sure your amp has completely cooled down before removing any tubes.

Welcome to the wonderful world of tubes
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Aug 26, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #1,206 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by PascalT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks peete
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll grab some.. I also got some Sylvanias 6AK5.. square getter, but it was pretty cheap.

If you come across Sylvania round getter black plate W or WA versions ( 6AK5W or 6AK5WA ), snap them up...they are extremely good tubes.

Peete.

Aug 26, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #1,207 of 3,408
Quote:

question: is there any differences between the link I posted for the tubes and the tubes yen sells? Both state they are matched tubes, but the yen ones cost $36 total while the other would be $18 total.

This auction is for a high quality MATCHED PAIR (2) of New Old Stock (NOS) Russian military-spec Voshod 6J1P-EV / 6AK5 vacuum tubes in original military boxes.

or

Lot of 4 NOS!!! Russian Tubes 6Zh1P-EV ( 6Ж1П-ЕВ )

an quality equivalent of the EF95 / 6F32 / 6AK7

Military equipment , high reliability, long life.
The tubes are never used. Old stock.
TESTED, MATCHED + + + 100% OK!!!

*confused*

Well, it depends how much you trust that Ukrainian guy and he's testing methods and/or testing equipment. Anyway, those are the exact same tubes for sale in yen-audio and xryn. I don't have much experience on buying tubes, but in my humble opinion yen sells a bit overpriced stuff. However, it's considered safe here meaning you get what you pay for.

Btw. I bought four tested&matched 6zh1p-ev from the same guy on friday 15 august. Haven't got them yet, but hopefully i'll get them soon.

Aug 26, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #1,208 of 3,408
bought it from the same guy as well. For $18 difference it's worth the extra wait I think.

Peete: Will do! I'm just testing the waters here as far as tubes go.. I think 2 pairs will suffice for the introduction... for now.
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #1,209 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gently rock the tube back and forth while pulling up at the same time. I use gloves when doing this and always make sure the glass is fingerprint free. The oil from our skin creates hot spots that isn't good for the tubes. Do not use cleaners on the tubes...just some slight breath followed by a very soft lint free cloth. Some treat the pins before inserting (with Caig Deoxit, then Pro Gold and others don't do anything of the kind).

Make sure your amp has completely cooled down before removing any tubes.

Welcome to the wonderful world of tubes
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Thanks Pete, just the answer I was looking for and I appreciate the help on that. I am assuming when you put them back in you just gently push them back into their little holding place as well? Also, thanks for advice on cleaning and caring for my amp, I'm just a budding head-fier, so I need all the help I can get. My little MKIII does sound amazing with the HD-650s, I must admit, so I know I'm going to have a ball tube-rolling when I find some tubes I want to try.

Aug 26, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #1,210 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hrama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Pete, just the answer I was looking for and I appreciate the help on that. I am assuming when you put them back in you just gently push them back into their little holding place as well? Also, thanks for advice on cleaning and caring for my amp, I'm just a budding head-fier, so I need all the help I can get. My little MKIII does sound amazing with the HD-650s, I must admit, so I know I'm going to have a ball tube-rolling when I find some tubes I want to try.

Just line up the pins and gently push the new tubes into the sockets. Make sure the pins on the new tubes are not bent and are correctly spaced. The sockets themselves will correct any variances but it's best to make sure they are pretty straight before insertion.

Keep the dust off the tubes/amp every day. I use a dry swiffer cloth...works great. Be careful not to put a static charge through anything delicate like a DAC or SS device. Ground yourself by discharging the static before and after dusting (touch a comp case shell for instance). Static is only a problem in the winter usually...I know it's like that in my home during the long winter months. If you live in an area where winter is non existent...can I move in ?..I've got some kick arse gear and a ton of CD's/LP/8-Tracks/Cassettes etc...
biggrin.gif

Just trying to think of all the little things to help you out with
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Aug 27, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #1,211 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just line up the pins and gently push the new tubes into the sockets. Make sure the pins on the new tubes are not bent and are correctly spaced. The sockets themselves will correct any variances but it's best to make sure they are pretty straight before insertion.

Keep the dust off the tubes/amp every day. I use a dry swiffer cloth...works great. Be careful not to put a static charge through anything delicate like a DAC or SS device. Ground yourself by discharging the static before and after dusting (touch a comp case shell for instance). Static is only a problem in the winter usually...I know it's like that in my home during the long winter months. If you live in an area where winter is non existent...can I move in ?..I've got some kick arse gear and a ton of CD's/LP/8-Tracks/Cassettes etc...
biggrin.gif

Just trying to think of all the little things to help you out with
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Thanks again Peete, all of that is great to know and naw, live in MD right now, so winters are very much existent.
biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif
Hmm keeping the dust off of the tubes eh? Makes sense. Alright, I think I have a few, extra microfiber cloths that might work alright for this situation. I build computers, so most of this stuff is pretty sensible when you think about it when it comes to static charges and avoiding them for the most part, so I think I'll be alright now that I have an idea. Now to hunt down a decent, cheap DAC, so back to snooping mode.
ph34r.gif

Aug 27, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #1,212 of 3,408
The Zero is right up your alley my friend and is a great match with the MK III.

Peete.

Aug 27, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #1,213 of 3,408
Aha, thanks Peete, I was just thinking about that as my first choice since It's relatively cheap, has a great selection of input/outputs and such. Glad to hear it matches well with the MKIII, so it might very well be my next choice. Can't wait.

Aug 27, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #1,214 of 3,408
Wow I just tried the matched pair Mullard M8100 / CV4010 on my Mk3 for the first time and its just amazing! It totally opened up the bass sounds compared to the tubes the amp came with and they just give me a big smile on my face.
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #1,215 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jare /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw. I bought four tested&matched 6zh1p-ev from the same guy on friday 15 august. Haven't got them yet, but hopefully i'll get them soon.

Quote:

bought it from the same guy as well. For $18 difference it's worth the extra wait I think.

I just received a note that the package is in the local post office. So didn't take too long to ship. Actually it was rerouted to my new apartment which means it took a day or two longer for that. Going to test them tomorrow
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back