Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Mar 5, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #3,226 of 3,408
I have to add that the 6SN7 (on adapters) really shines on my HD650.  It is silky smooth in the midrange and bass, and "look" more interesting as well!

However, you can hear noticeable distortions when you use with  low-Z (<100 ohm) headphones.  In that respect, the 6N6P/6H30P family is a better all arounder. 

Mar 6, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #3,229 of 3,408
I don't really believe in burn in to be honest haha.
Main difference between the two I noticed first of all is the increase in detail, whether it's because of the different series of tubes or because of the hybrid power increase.
I immediately noticed new things in songs I had listened to hundreds of times with the mk iii and the solid state mk v.
Next was the increase of bass, it's not as much the amount of bass but the tightness of it, it punches hard but isn't bloated.
The overall tube sound of the mk iii remains and I've swapped in a few different tubes I'd picked up before I bought it and to be honest the stock tubes are almost as good as the Tesla's and voshkods I tried.

All in all I'd say it's a good upgrade over the mk iii if you want a solidly built hybrid amp with a super silent background.
If you already have and are happy with the mk iii (I have been using my mate's) then unless you really need the extra power or want the noise reduction of a balanced setup then the mk iii is perfectly good enough for most.
But if you are wanting to satisfy the upgrade itch then it's definitely an amp I recommend although the series of tubes it uses are a lot more expensive than the mk iii but then again I never really bought into the 'high-end' tube business anway but that's another story.

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #3,230 of 3,408

If you want to use some tubes that need adapters these are the adapters you will need, top pic is the adapter for the 6SN7, (used as power tubes) these are better than the 6n6 type, the bottom pic is the adpter for C3G tubes (driver tubes), the best sounding tube you can get for the MKIII IMO, but expensive.

Thank you very much indeed for those posts Scutey. I also am grateful for you taking the time to do it. Just what I needed :)

Will try to source the extensions online and when I have my MKIII all in place and am happy, can I drop you a PM in regards to the tubes?

Much Appreciated!

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #3,231 of 3,408
Share2Care. Yes of course you can no problem!, Head-Fi is all about sharing our experience and info, I've had a lot of help myself on here so it's only fair to do the same!, i'm out at the mo but when i get back i'll post some links to adapters for you.

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #3,232 of 3,408
I don't really believe in burn in to be honest haha.
Main difference between the two I noticed first of all is the increase in detail, whether it's because of the different series of tubes or because of the hybrid power increase.
I immediately noticed new things in songs I had listened to hundreds of times with the mk iii and the solid state mk v.
Next was the increase of bass, it's not as much the amount of bass but the tightness of it, it punches hard but isn't bloated.
The overall tube sound of the mk iii remains and I've swapped in a few different tubes I'd picked up before I bought it and to be honest the stock tubes are almost as good as the Tesla's and voshkods I tried.

All in all I'd say it's a good upgrade over the mk iii if you want a solidly built hybrid amp with a super silent background.
If you already have and are happy with the mk iii (I have been using my mate's) then unless you really need the extra power or want the noise reduction of a balanced setup then the mk iii is perfectly good enough for most.
But if you are wanting to satisfy the upgrade itch then it's definitely an amp I recommend although the series of tubes it uses are a lot more expensive than the mk iii but then again I never really bought into the 'high-end' tube business anway but that's another story.

Thanks for the input colgateam, sounds like the sort of sound I like, think I will stick with my mkiii but if it ever goes pop I may give the mkiii se serious consideration.

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #3,233 of 3,408
My HD 650 headphones arrived tonight and I'm looking forward to taking them for a spin at work tomorrow (my LD mk2 is on my desk).  I'm still on the lookout for a pair of semi-open or closed back headphones for work so I avoid annoying my neighbours but we'll see how they react to the HD 650 :)  Beginning to think I should start thinking about a second setup for home for the open back headphones...

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #3,234 of 3,408
  My HD 650 headphones arrived tonight and I'm looking forward to taking them for a spin at work tomorrow (my LD mk2 is on my desk).  I'm still on the lookout for a pair of semi-open or closed back headphones for work so I avoid annoying my neighbours but we'll see how they react to the HD 650 :)  Beginning to think I should start thinking about a second setup for home for the open back headphones...

Chris:

I hate to do this to you (and anyone else looking for a closed back Headphone)  

Save your money,,,,,,,,One of the best closed back headphones out there right now for the money.....Mr. Speakers Aeon now $699.99 (sorry)  I heard these at Can Jam.  They Blew me away.  

One other Closed back that will easily compare to any of the Bigger Dogs are the ZMF Eikons $1,299.00 (double sorry)  I also heard these at Can Jam as well and was able to go back and forth with the ZMF Eikons and the $4,000 Utopias and you were not missing much at all with the Eikons.  That is not taking anything away from the Utopias just stating how good the Eikons were.

By the way I am saving for one of the two listed above as well.

Happy Listening

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #3,235 of 3,408
Hiya everybody!

Long time lurker but first time poster here... Been following this Little Dot Tube Rolling thread for awhile now and THANK YOU all for posting such useful information!

I've taken my stock Little Dot MkIII and have already rolled through various "stock" power and driver tubes, but lately have progressed onto the C3Gs as Driver tubes and was looking to step into 6SN7's as Power Tubes.... but i've hit a snag today and need some guidance.

Currently i'm running with the stock brass rings removed and the following tubes/adapters (no spacers):
1) Driver Tubes - Siemens C3Gs with C3G (top) to 6AK7 (bottom) adapters
2) Power Tubes - EH 6H30Pi (no adapters)

I'm trying to switch my power Tubes to 6SN7 using:
1) 6SN7 (top) to 12AU7 (bottom) adapters (w/ proper 6.3V limitations) and a set of CBS 6NS7 tubes... but its not working (no audio)

With the above setup.... I can't get my Little Dot to play audio/power on the rear Power tubes....
I'm worried i've misunderstood the Power Tube adapter.... Should I have ordered a ECC88 to 6SN7 adapter?
Or perhaps is there a way that I could re-pin/re-solder the 6SN7 to 12AU7 adapters to work for my new tubes properly?

I've switched back to my EH "stock" power tubes and removed the adapters for now. There has been no damage but I don't want to proceed with fact checking with the Forum Experts here first. :) Please assist and thank you!

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #3,236 of 3,408
  Hiya everybody!

Long time lurker but first time poster here... Been following this Little Dot Tube Rolling thread for awhile now and THANK YOU all for posting such useful information!

I've taken my stock Little Dot MkIII and have already rolled through various "stock" power and driver tubes, but lately have progressed onto the C3Gs as Driver tubes and was looking to step into 6SN7's as Power Tubes.... but i've hit a snag today and need some guidance.

Currently i'm running with the stock brass rings removed and the following tubes/adapters (no spacers):

1) 6SN7 (top) to 12AU7 (bottom) adapters (w/ proper 6.3V limitations) and a set of CBS 6NS7 tubes... but its not working (no audio)

With the above setup.... I can't get my Little Dot to play audio/power on the rear Power tubes....
I'm worried i've misunderstood the Power Tube adapter.... Should I have ordered a ECC88 to 6SN7 adapter?
Or perhaps is there a way that I could re-pin/re-solder the 6SN7 to 12AU7 adapters to work for my new tubes properly?

I've switched back to my EH "stock" power tubes and removed the adapters for now. There has been no damage but I don't want to proceed with fact checking with the Forum Experts here first. :) Please assist and thank you!

The adapters i am using are  6SN7 to 6CG7 You are not using the correct adapters here's a link to the correct adapters                                                                                                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Gold-plated-6SN7-6n8p-CV181-TO-6CG7-6FQ7-tube-converter-adapter-/201115946751?hash=item2ed371ceff:g:J2oAAOSwQjNW-kSg

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #3,237 of 3,408
  Hiya everybody!

Also if im not mistaken you can use the 6SN7 to ECC88 adapters 

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #3,238 of 3,408
Thank you for the quick response MIKELAP!

Just to confirm before I order these different Power Tube adapters, but would these work as well for my 6SN7's to stock Little Dot Mkiii Power Tube location?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1piece-Gold-plated-6SN7-6N8P-TO-6DJ8-ECC88-6922-6N6-ECC85-6N11-tube-adapter-/201506917187?hash=item2eeabf8b43:g:KecAAOSwqYBWngU7

This is the same Chinese vendor i've been working with and i've been very happy with his quality and craftsmanship so far.
Additionally.... Since i removed my brass rings fully I won't need these B9A and B7G socket savers/spacers.
(If ANYONE on HeadFi is interested in these 4x tube socket savers/spacers please let me know.... I'd let them go for a good price here if someone is in need vs. waiting to ship them back to China and waiting....)

Thanks so much again and sorry for not officially joining up/posting sooner than this! Y'all have been great leading the pack on these mods!

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #3,239 of 3,408
EDITED: I should have been patient on the above external link posting.... Man you moderators are FAST responding here! :) original secondary post below:

Thanks MikeLap!!

I'm unable to place external links in my posts since i'm a new member today, so i'm going to cheat:

Mind heading over to eBay to check me on these adapters?
Search for "6sn7 to ecc88 adapter" and the first one that pops up (by the Seller known as TubeMalls) is the pair i'm thinking about ordering tonight.
Auction header is "1piece*Gold plated 6SN7 6N8P TO 6DJ8 ECC88 6922 6N6 ECC85 6N11 tube adapter" and currently at $14.90 per adapter.

I just want to verify that these should work for placing 6SN7 tubes into the stock Power Tube sockets on my LD MkIII.
Thanks so much for the quick responses as well!

Y'all rock for leading the way for these LD mods and i'm glad I finally signed up!
Stepping up to the C3Gs has been a game-changer on the Driver tubes echoing many members feedback that I've read here as well. :)

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #3,240 of 3,408
  Thank you for the quick response MIKELAP!

Just to confirm before I order these different Power Tube adapters, but would these work as well for my 6SN7's to stock Little Dot Mkiii Power Tube location?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1piece-Gold-plated-6SN7-6N8P-TO-6DJ8-ECC88-6922-6N6-ECC85-6N11-tube-adapter-/201506917187?hash=item2eeabf8b43:g:KecAAOSwqYBWngU7

This is the same Chinese vendor i've been working with and i've been very happy with his quality and craftsmanship so far.
Additionally.... Since i removed my brass rings fully I won't need these B9A and B7G socket savers/spacers.
(If ANYONE on HeadFi is interested in these 4x tube socket savers/spacers please let me know.... I'd let them go for a good price here if someone is in need vs. waiting to ship them back to China and waiting....)

Thanks so much again and sorry for not officially joining up/posting sooner than this! Y'all have been great leading the pack on these mods!

These are the ones i would buy (link)they are cmc type sockets way better quality then the ones on your link. What i would to before you order is shoot a pm to seller just to make but i would say they are good .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Gold-plated-6SN7-6n8p-CV181-TO-ECC88-6922-6DJ8-tube-adapter-CMC-ceramic-sock-/191226140400?hash=item2c85f756f0:g:hNwAAOSw6oBXEfjG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back