Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Jan 18, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #3,001 of 3,408
  Id like to replace my 4+ year old tubes does anyone have a recommendation for my BD DT 880 600ohms?

First you could check out the Littledot tube rolling guide http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/10065#post_12262513                                                                                 Personnally with my Senns HD800 i liked as power tubes the Russian 6N6P-IR and there cheap,about  $30.00 a pair  if you like a more neutral sounding and more expensive power tube there's always the 6H30Pi-EH gold pins by Electro Harmonix i think there around $75.00 a pair ,as drivers plug n play i like the 6HM5 tall bottle made in yugoslavia there $5.00 each and well liked in the LITTLEDOT TUBE ROLLING GUIDE thread .in that thread you could always go to page 77 to check out the different tubes we tried over the years and there's also a power tube review on page 201 post #3007 as i stated the 6HM5 was very popular, but if your interested in using adapters all new tubes types would be available to you 6SN7, C3G'S ects.,personnally this is the combo i am using now the 6SN7 as power tubes with adapters and C3G.S as drivers also with special adapters i would encourage you to read the TUBE ROLLING GUIDE thread it is very interesting and will keep you busy for awhile lol. 

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #3,002 of 3,408
  First you could check out the Littledot tube rolling guide http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/10065#post_12262513                                                                                 Personnally with my Senns HD800 i liked as power tubes the Russian 6N6P-IR and there cheap,about  $30.00 a pair  if you like a more neutral sounding and more expensive power tube there's always the 6H30Pi-EH gold pins by Electro Harmonix i think there around $75.00 a pair ,as drivers plug n play i like the 6HM5 tall bottle made in yugoslavia there $5.00 each and well liked in the LITTLEDOT TUBE ROLLING GUIDE thread .in that thread you could always go to page 77 to check out the different tubes we tried over the years and there's also a power tube review on page 201 post #3007 as i stated the 6HM5 was very popular, but if your interested in using adapters all new tubes types would be available to you 6SN7, C3G'S ects.,personnally this is the combo i am using now the 6SN7 as power tubes with adapters and C3G.S as drivers also with special adapters i would encourage you to read the TUBE ROLLING GUIDE thread it is very interesting and will keep you busy for awhile lol. 

Thanks for all this info ill give it a good read :)

Jan 31, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #3,004 of 3,408
It is written 6n6p

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #3,005 of 3,408
I believe these are the stock 6N6P tubes the MKIII gets shipped with. The IR are different ones.

You can get the IR here:
http://tubes-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=519

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #3,006 of 3,408
Alright, so having used the Little Dot MKIII with three different headphones, it is time to come to my verdict.

Here are my favourite combi's:

For the Sennheiser HD600: Mullard EF95 driver tubes and Electro Harmonix 6H30Pi Gold Pin power tubes.
For the Sennheiser HD650: Voskhod 6J1P-EV driver tubes and Novosibirsk 6N6P-IR power tubes.
For the Sennheiser HD800: Svetlana 6J1P-E driver tubes and Novosibirsk 6N6P-I power tubes.

As @MIKELAP recommended me 6HM5's, a few days ago I ordered two matched NOS pairs of El Yugoslavia 6HM5 tubes for use with the HD800's. They are on their way, once I get them, burned them in and listened to them I'll post again.

By the way, using the Svetlana's was a surprise for the HD800. Even though I didn't like the Svetlana's at all with the HD600/650's, they were a VERY pleasant surprise on the HD800's. Deeper bass, wider soundstage, amazing. If you have the HD800 you might want to try these!

And @bharat2580 recommended me the 6N6P-I's for the HD800 instead of the IR's. The difference is really a nuance, but it is noticeable and he's right, they are slower and thus more 'easy going' especially on the low end. But I only recently got them and they only have some 60 hours of burn-in, maybe it'll still change. I need more time to come to a conclusion. 

Feb 4, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #3,007 of 3,408
  Alright, so having used the Little Dot MKIII with three different headphones, it is time to come to my verdict.

Here are my favourite combi's:

For the Sennheiser HD600: Mullard EF95 driver tubes and Electro Harmonix 6H30Pi Gold Pin power tubes.
For the Sennheiser HD650: Voskhod 6J1P-EV driver tubes and Novosibirsk 6N6P-IR power tubes.
For the Sennheiser HD800: Svetlana 6J1P-E driver tubes and Novosibirsk 6N6P-I power tubes.

As @MIKELAP recommended me 6HM5's, a few days ago I ordered two matched NOS pairs of El Yugoslavia 6HM5 tubes for use with the HD800's. They are on their way, once I get them, burned them in and listened to them I'll post again.

By the way, using the Svetlana's was a surprise for the HD800. Even though I didn't like the Svetlana's at all with the HD600/650's, they were a VERY pleasant surprise on the HD800's. Deeper bass, wider soundstage, amazing. If you have the HD800 you might want to try these!

And @bharat2580 recommended me the 6N6P-I's for the HD800 instead of the IR's. The difference is really a nuance, but it is noticeable and he's right, they are slower and thus more 'easy going' especially on the low end. But I only recently got them and they only have some 60 hours of burn-in, maybe it'll still change. I need more time to come to a conclusion. 

Glad you liked the combo, i agree to your findings, mine were the same.
Give the 'I' some time, it will settle in and be an great parring with the 800s.

keep us posted.

Feb 7, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #3,008 of 3,408
Yesterday morning I received the 6HM5's and they have been burning in overnight together with the 6N6P-I's. This morning I started listening to my collection of music at 8:00. It is now 12:30 and I am still listening. This combination of tubes does to my HD800's what no other tubes have ever done. It sounds so so good. Thank you fellow head-fi'ers for making me discover this combination.

The combination is so good that even music I liked more on my HD650's now sound so good on the HD800's that I am for no kind of music feeling a need to go back to the HD650. I believe I have reached what I now consider perfection.

Sound signature is just amazing. But more importantly, this combination gives an indescribable 3D sound stage. I have never heard music like this. Moments of chicken skin, surprise, and pure amazement.

Thanks again especially @MIKELAP and @bharat2580 for your recommendations. Man, this sounds good...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feb 7, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #3,009 of 3,408
I just have a question regarding the 6HM5's. When I turn on my Little Dot then one of them lights up so bright it scares me. It lasts for a second or two and then it fades to normal. It's only one of the two that does this.

The tube sounds perfect, just as good as the other one. Should I worry?

Feb 7, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #3,011 of 3,408
I just have a question regarding the 6HM5's. When I turn on my Little Dot then one of them lights up so bright it scares me. It lasts for a second or two and then it fades to normal. It's only one of the two that does this.

The tube sounds perfect, just as good as the other one. Should I worry?

No,i also have some like that if they sound good no problem 

Feb 7, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #3,012 of 3,408
Hi Arcee,

If you want better sound than what you have, buy any inexpensive pair of 6SN7 tubes and a set of adapters for the Little Dot. These are plug and play - no external power supply needed.

Feb 7, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #3,013 of 3,408
  Hi Arcee,

If you want better sound than what you have, buy any inexpensive pair of 6SN7 tubes and a set of adapters for the Little Dot. These are plug and play - no external power supply needed.

Here's a link to those adapters  those are the ones i have ,they are  used as power tubes in the Littledot  , 6sn7 tube goes in adapter 6cg7 9 pin in Littlledot                                                                                                              
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-hand-made-convert-tube-socket-6CG7-to-6SN7-/221065459067?hash=item337887357b:m:mtlz25pmFXGm4WgAPkruHpQ

Feb 11, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #3,014 of 3,408
Hi @mikelap thanks so much for the tip! I was afraid when you mentioned earlier to make adapters myself, but now you provide me the link on eBay I'll get some. The seller is on holiday due Chinese New Year, so I'll be patient a bit. With regards to the 6SN7 tubes, there is so many! Any recommendations? My favorite store has quite a few:

http://tubes-store.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=6SN7

Feb 11, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #3,015 of 3,408
Hi @mikelap thanks so much for the tip! I was afraid when you mentioned earlier to make adapters myself, but now you provide me the link on eBay I'll get some. The seller is on holiday due Chinese New Year, so I'll be patient a bit. With regards to the 6SN7 tubes, there is so many! Any recommendations? My favorite store has quite a few:

http://tubes-store.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=6SN7

Try these threads all you need to know is there             http://www.head-fi.org/t/117677/the-reference-6sn7-thread                         http://www.head-fi.org/t/209782/the-6sn7-identification-guide

Users who are viewing this thread

Back