Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Jan 2, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #2,986 of 3,408
I have a question that might be a little off-topic, but since all you MKIII enthusiasts out there are following this trend, I'm posting anyways.

I'm currently owner of both the Sennheiser HD600 and HD650 and love the MKIII driving them.
My favourite combinations of tubes are either the Electro-Harmonix 6H30Pi gold-pins with the Mullard EF95's, which gives a slight colouring to the sound that I really enjoy with the HD600's.
Or otherwise, I like the Russian 6N6P-IR high-durable tubes in combination with the famous Voshkod 6J1P-EV tubes, which sounds a bit more neutral but perfectly matches the HD650's.

Thing is, I've got buyers for the HD600's and HD650's and I'm negotiating on purchasing the mighty HD800 (used).

My (slightly off-topic) question is: will the Little Dot MKIII be a good enough amp to drive the HD800's and if yes, what combination of tubes do you recommend?

Jan 4, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #2,988 of 3,408
  I have a question that might be a little off-topic, but since all you MKIII enthusiasts out there are following this trend, I'm posting anyways.

I'm currently owner of both the Sennheiser HD600 and HD650 and love the MKIII driving them.
My favourite combinations of tubes are either the Electro-Harmonix 6H30Pi gold-pins with the Mullard EF95's, which gives a slight colouring to the sound that I really enjoy with the HD600's.
Or otherwise, I like the Russian 6N6P-IR high-durable tubes in combination with the famous Voshkod 6J1P-EV tubes, which sounds a bit more neutral but perfectly matches the HD650's.

Thing is, I've got buyers for the HD600's and HD650's and I'm negotiating on purchasing the mighty HD800 (used).

My (slightly off-topic) question is: will the Little Dot MKIII be a good enough amp to drive the HD800's and if yes, what combination of tubes do you recommend?

For the price i think it is ,but my prefered setup is KENRAD VT-231 6SN7 with adapters as power tubes  and C3g's with adapters the 6sn7 warms things up a bit . That's if you like a warmer signature Senns are a neutral HP but imo doesnt lack anything it depends alot on the recording if there's not much bass in the tune for shure there wont be more withe Senns HD800. 

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #2,990 of 3,408

You are using the same setup as i do, its the best setup for the ld with the cheaper possible option, though try the 6n6p i with the voskhods. 

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #2,991 of 3,408

You are using the same setup as i do, its the best setup for the ld with the cheaper possible option, though try the 6n6p i with the voskhods. 

Thanks @bharat2580; in the meantime I have the HD800's and sold my HD600's. The HD650's I still have, because where the HD600 didn't add over the HD800's, the HD650's do. Even though I don't listen to them to get used to the HD800's; it takes time.

The HD800's are fantastic and revealing, I hear so much detail I didn't hear before. And the sound stage, indeed it is absolutely amazing.

From my experience over the past week, I conclude that the nicest combinations of tubes is the 6N6P-IR's combined with the Mullard M8100's.
The Mullards sound better with the HD800's than the Voshkods, as the Voshkods make the highs to sharp. And the 6N6P-IR's seems to give a bit more punch on the low end, even though the HD800's remain a bit light in that area. They reach deep, very deep low's, but not very powerful. Maybe it's because the LD MKIII reaches its limits?

Anyways, I take your recommendation for the 6N6P-I's. Are you saying they sound better than the 6N6P-IR's? The I's are a whole lot cheaper than the IR's, so if you indeed say the 6N6P-I's sound better, I'll order some straight away!

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #2,992 of 3,408
  For the price i think it is ,but my prefered setup is KENRAD VT-231 6SN7 with adapters as power tubes  and C3g's with adapters the 6sn7 warms things up a bit . That's if you like a warmer signature Senns are a neutral HP but imo doesnt lack anything it depends alot on the recording if there's not much bass in the tune for shure there wont be more withe Senns HD800. 

Thanks @MIKELAP for the recommendation. I'll study where to order these tubes and the adapters!

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #2,993 of 3,408

Thanks @bharat2580; in the meantime I have the HD800's and sold my HD600's. The HD650's I still have, because where the HD600 didn't add over the HD800's, the HD650's do. Even though I don't listen to them to get used to the HD800's; it takes time.

The HD800's are fantastic and revealing, I hear so much detail I didn't hear before. And the sound stage, indeed it is absolutely amazing.

From my experience over the past week, I conclude that the nicest combinations of tubes is the 6N6P-IR's combined with the Mullard M8100's.
The Mullards sound better with the HD800's than the Voshkods, as the Voshkods make the highs to sharp. And the 6N6P-IR's seems to give a bit more punch on the low end, even though the HD800's remain a bit light in that area. They reach deep, very deep low's, but not very powerful. Maybe it's because the LD MKIII reaches its limits?

Anyways, I take your recommendation for the 6N6P-I's. Are you saying they sound better than the 6N6P-IR's? The I's are a whole lot cheaper than the IR's, so if you indeed say the 6N6P-I's sound better, I'll order some straight away!

No but with the 800s i can bet you will like them more. its about combinations, the i is slower and a bit loose more bottom end slower decay and longer, so it will slow the 800s a bit and give you better soundstage and layering i mean you will think .. it is.. for the 650 the two combinations you use are perfect. i guess for the 800 try 6n6p i and mallards or voskhods both should be nice.

won't be good with 650 as its already slower there the ir sounds great.

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #2,994 of 3,408

No but with the 800s i can bet you will like them more. its about combinations, the i is slower and a bit loose more bottom end slower decay and longer, so it will slow the 800s a bit and give you better soundstage and layering i mean you will think .. it is.. for the 650 the two combinations you use are perfect. i guess for the 800 try 6n6p i and mallards or voskhods both should be nice.

won't be good with 650 as its already slower there the ir sounds great.

Thanks! I've just ordered the 6N6P-I's and can't wait for them to arrive...!

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #2,995 of 3,408

Thanks! I've just ordered the 6N6P-I's and can't wait for them to arrive...!

Great let me know if i am rite.. or not.. haha

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #2,998 of 3,408
  Id like to replace my 4+ year old tubes does anyone have a recommendation for my BD DT 880 600ohms?

Hi Kenji.

You didn't mention whether you're looking for driver or power tubes, but I'm absolutely loving my Mullard M8100 driver tubes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311292129602

I have a pair of 300-ohm HD 650s, so your 600-ohm mileage may vary.

- Dave

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #2,999 of 3,408

Hi Kenji.

You didn't mention whether you're looking for driver or power tubes, but I'm absolutely loving my Mullard M8100 driver tubes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311292129602

I have a pair of 300-ohm HD 650s, so your 600-ohm mileage may vary.

- Dave

Which one is which? Id like to replace all 4 tubes as I assume I can get some better sound with new ones.

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #3,000 of 3,408
  Which one is which? Id like to replace all 4 tubes as I assume I can get some better sound with new ones.

Ah right.  Good question.

The front two are the driver tubes and the back two are the power tubes.  The word on the street is that you get the most improvement for your buck by starting with rolling the driver tubes.  The Mullard M8100s are driver tubes.  I haven't rolled any power tubes yet; haven't found the need.

Check out:

http://www.littledot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=815

for more information about the stock pairs of tubes (a third of the way down under "Technical Specifications").

- Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back