Little Dot MKIII as a preamp. New member 'slightly' overwhelmed!
Mar 31, 2011 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

richyboy

New Head-Fier
Firstly, a big hello to all of you!
I'm looking for a little help with my LD MKIII amp having been 'slightly' overwhelmed with all of the expertise posted here!
I'm not a headphone user (yet!) but am using this amp as a 'pre' on my hi-fi.
Can anyone please confirm that the LD uses only the 'driver' tubes in it's role as a pre'? (I believe the 'driver' tubes are the cute little ones nearest the front-panel?). If so, I would like your advice on changing-out the standard tubes for something exotic (and MELLOW!)! I'm running a Roksan CD player through the LD and into a pair of Temple Audio Monoblocks which, in turn, power a pair of B&W DM 610 loudspeakers. The overall sound quality is really very good but slightly harsh in the upper-mid and treble.
Please, any comments?
All the best,
Rich.

Apr 1, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 6
I belive it uses both sets of tubes (driver and power) for the pre amp could be wrong though. Right now I am using some Mullard CV4010 and they are a little more mellow then the ones that came with it. Just ordered some more tubes though and will let you know if they are even more mellow. If you want you can check out the tube rolling thread to get an idea of some tubes that you might like.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/276757/little-dot-mkiii-tube-rolling

Apr 2, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
Firstly, a big hello to all of you!
I'm looking for a little help with my LD MKIII amp having been 'slightly' overwhelmed with all of the expertise posted here!
I'm not a headphone user (yet!) but am using this amp as a 'pre' on my hi-fi.
Can anyone please confirm that the LD uses only the 'driver' tubes in it's role as a pre'? (I believe the 'driver' tubes are the cute little ones nearest the front-panel?). If so, I would like your advice on changing-out the standard tubes for something exotic (and MELLOW!)! I'm running a Roksan CD player through the LD and into a pair of Temple Audio Monoblocks which, in turn, power a pair of B&W DM 610 loudspeakers. The overall sound quality is really very good but slightly harsh in the upper-mid and treble.
Please, any comments?
All the best,
Rich.

If the volume effects the pre-amp out then all the tubes will be working I think.. I use a tube amp as pre aswell.

Apr 7, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks you two!
I'm sorry I took so long to get back. Life and stuff and things!
Thanks for your replies to my email!
As a matter of interest, what sort of music do you listen to?
Thanks for the link Gatepc. I'll check it out now!
All the best to you both,
Rich.

Nov 4, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #6 of 6
Once I realised that...

a) My little dot III is a pre-amp and the outputs are not just "through" ports
b) It's handy to have a volume control right next to me

... I decided to try using it as a pre, plugging into the power section of my Rotel RA1412.

Then I decided "try a Quad 303"... Good decision!

Little Dot III with Quad 303 is a great combo I reckon. My missus thinks so too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back