Little Dot MK8SE / MK6 Super Mods (All verified mods are on first page)
Feb 7, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #4,096 of 4,154
These are my impressions of the sound after installing 1uF Mundorf SIO metallized polypropylene caps in the WCF position. First it was unfortunate that Foobar decided to alter the order of the tracks that I had previously made some detailed notes on so I have had to listen anew and record my impressions without the notes because I didn't know which tracks they referred to so I had to guess. Fortunately at least the volume remained constant, I had left the volume knob unchanged since the last listening session.

First I have to say I didn't really expect any changes, the sound is already endgame.. but the first thing that hit me was the fuller bodied sound, both instruments and soundstage and the realism was that much greater as a result. I will go in a bit of detail because of the changes. First the bass frequencies as shown by kick drums, drum depth in general and bass guitar, these definately had more impact to the extent that in my notes where I hadn't even mentioned kick drums and bass guitar they were very noticeably more prominent whereas I hadn't noticed before. Another thing that jumped out at me this time was a track where Robben Ford switched pickups in midstream and I clearly heard it this time and the resulting change in tone of his guitar.

IMO this is yet another step up in SQ and I would recommend the change. A similar thing happened when I installed a Brimar tube in my other amp and everything suddenly got that much more powerful sounding and where the frequency band shifted somewhat toward emphasis more on bass. Maybe the cutoff has shifted toward the bass spectrum away from the treble. I would be interested in what CopperFox thinks when he fixes his amp, I know he is a bit of a basshead. The only thing I would say, if you are not so into bass as he is then maybe try an intermediate cap value somewhere between .33uF and 1uF. One thing to say is there is definately no disadvantage in going to 1uF, no oscillation or anything.

Sometime I will do a comparison with my APPJ because that would give a baseline with which to compare any changes, before both amps performed very similarly but this might now have changed.

Next are some cathode bypass Wima's, the reason for the chassis extension. I decided to go for 150uF's, the reason being that I believe the difference between them and the 200uF's that CopperFox has is probably negligable, also they are readily available from Mouser UK.

Going by the cathode bypass calculator the bass roll off starts smoothing out around 150 - 200uF, and the curve from 20hz on is pretty much horizontal anyway. I can't hear anything below 20hz. Then if we say that the equivalent film cap to lytic ratio is 3 - 5 times, if it is 3 times then that is 450 for the 150uF caps and 600 for the 200uF caps. At that capacitance the frequency curve has smoothed out completely and there is no difference between them. Also I have 450uF lytics in currently and I really like the sound atm. If the ratio is 5 times then the frequency curve is pretty much the same as for 3 times so that I believe any gains from the higher ratio capacitance is probably overkill. That means that there is no additional gain from this capacitance, although there is probably no disadvantage either, and CopperFox has not reported any oscillations or any detriment in sound.

That just about takes care of the latest mods except for the PSU. CopperFox has 400uF Wimas in there, but I will probably not change my lytics because they have sufficiently large storage to handle the PSU ripple and any spikes so I don't think there would be any advantage in changing, especially if the cathode bypass Wimas do their job.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #4,097 of 4,154
One thing to say is there is definately no disadvantage in going to 1uF, no oscillation or anything
Excellent news.
These are my impressions of the sound after installing 1uF Mundorf SIO metallized polypropylene caps in the WCF position... First the bass frequencies as shown by kick drums, drum depth in general and bass guitar, these definately had more impact...
😮🙂
Robben Ford switched pickups in midstream and I clearly heard it this time
Excellent news!

Yes, once you go beyond the frequency design aspect, there are other factors which you noted, that have nothing to do with frequency, but of power delivery & transients, probably because of a much lower ESR from the larger cap.
Your results highlight the observation of performance gains here, exactly what I was hoping for.
Great work! 👍

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #4,098 of 4,154
Excellent news.

😮🙂

Excellent news!

Yes, once you go beyond the frequency design aspect, there are other factors which you noted, that have nothing to do with frequency, but of power delivery & transients, probably because of a much lower ESR from the larger cap.
Your results highlight the observation of performance gains here, exactly what I was hoping for.
Great work! 👍
Thanks! I forgot to check on frequency response to bass dips, now I've switched off the amp, I will do that next time!

From the shift toward bass frequencies it looks like WCF caps are similar to coupling caps in their performance as has been noted already.

I'm waiting for the Wima film cathode bypass caps and will report on them then.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #4,099 of 4,154
Haha I just noticed you extended the bottom case!
Looks like I may have to do the same! 😄

Feb 8, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #4,100 of 4,154
Haha I just noticed you extended the bottom case!
Looks like I may have to do the same! 😄
Just make sure it will still fit in your mum's broom cupboard 🙂.

Feb 8, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #4,101 of 4,154
Hey @CopperFox you need to get these 1uF WCF caps, the bass is really really powerful with punch and kick and makes the soundstage so all enveloping, and that's with my HE-500's, not renowned for soundstage! God only knows what symphonic rock would sound like with this mod, brain churning I would think! The sound is more speaker like. High volume is not necessary because the presentation is so dynamic with these caps.. and I haven't even installed the cathode film caps yet, can't wait!

Edit: @Maxx134 I've just done the bass test at max volume and there's no difference in the WCF cap's handling of the power dip, the meters still respond to the power fluctuation just like they did before I put in the larger caps, maybe there will be a difference when I install the cathode film caps.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #4,102 of 4,154
SMLD MODS: (finished.. er.. sorry.. resumed.. temporarily :face_palm:)

Chassis extension -

Looks like the Little Dot just turned into the Big Dot, it dwarfs my Miniwatt, even with its own chassis extension:

1643716896409.png

You can follow my mods pages: 50, 53, 55, 57, 62, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 147, 179, 230, 231, 234, 253 which include pics. Also Mogos mods are here; 33-38, and SonicTrance here: 23, 43, including some great pics.
Hey, why you using two different driver tubes?? 😮
maybe you should try some sexy driver tubes (6f8g)?🙂
20160518_174551-1-1.jpg

🙂

Feb 9, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #4,103 of 4,154
Hey, why you using two different driver tubes?? 😮
maybe you should try some sexy driver tubes (6f8g)?🙂

🙂
Haha, they're both Tungsols, used them since the start of the amp adventure. Tungsol did do silver glass as well as black glass! That tube does have a slight emission problem so I will be looking to change, would love those sexy ones on the left!! Never liked Sylvanias though, so maybe the Tungsol version at some point.

I was really pleased with the chassis mod it could have gone horribly wrong but luckily it went well. Plenty of WIMA room now:

1644397684073.png

1644397755135.png

1644397807523.png

I was listening again last night... and LOVING the changes!! :)

Edit: @CopperFox those clear top Shuguang's have arrived, looking forward to that soundstage, I will burn them in when I get the Wima's.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #4,104 of 4,154
Hey @CopperFox you need to get these 1uF WCF caps, the bass is really really powerful with punch and kick and makes the soundstage so all enveloping, and that's with my HE-500's, not renowned for soundstage! God only knows what symphonic rock would sound like with this mod, brain churning I would think! The sound is more speaker like. High volume is not necessary because the presentation is so dynamic with these caps.. and I haven't even installed the cathode film caps yet, can't wait!

Yes, from my experience with the 0,33uf, 0,47uf and 0,68uf Miflexes and 0,56uf Duelunds it seemed that the higher values had somehow better bass, clarity and soundstage and I have been thinking about trying the 1uf value. The problem there would be the size of the caps with the Miflexes (also price with the Duelunds). The 1uf KPCUs-01s are 44*70mm and eight of them might not fit in my chassis. However, I've been also thinking that for the WCF position maybe the 250V version KPCU-03 would work as it is 44*50mm so some of them could be mounted vertically. The stock caps in the WCF position are rated 250 volts so perhaps that could be enough. I haven't seen any information about the KPCU-03's sound but maybe it would not be very different from the 600v version.

The Duelund JDMs did sound like I've read the Duelund CASTs' sound described so it seems they could be the same as the CASTs but with lower tolerance and different leadout as their Nordic distributor had said. Which makes the JDMs also quite good value. Their sound is still more refined and coherent from the Miflexes. They have more microdetail but to my ears slightly less dynamics than the Miflexes. The bass response is slightly calmer with slightly less impact but more focus on a controlled post-impact. I might need to test them further but I think I may prefer the Miflexes for their slighly rougher and slightly more impactful sound. Or maybe it's just that I've gotten very used to them :)

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #4,105 of 4,154
Chassis extension underway to accommodate film caps:

Looks nice! You went with the screw extenders, how long are those? I've also been considering installing them as the 50mm M3 screws that I have are slightly prone to bending with any lateral force so the extenders could be more stable and need less replacement. What material are those black plates?

About the Wimas I noticed that Digikey has now good stock of the 400ufs. Might get some to have spares.

My amp is still not working but now I have a multimeter and will have time to check some things over the weekend.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #4,106 of 4,154
Looks nice! You went with the screw extenders, how long are those? I've also been considering installing them as the 50mm M3 screws that I have are slightly prone to bending with any lateral force so the extenders could be more stable and need less replacement. What material are those black plates?

About the Wimas I noticed that Digikey has now good stock of the 400ufs. Might get some to have spares.

My amp is still not working but now I have a multimeter and will have time to check some things over the weekend.

Thanks!

The standoffs are 60mm, these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19278746...var=492932372235&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
The sides were these: https://www.nationalstairnosings.co.uk/retrofit-flexible-pvc-stair-nosings/
The corners were these: https://www.nationalstairnosings.co.uk/aluminium-quadrant-corner-edge-tile-trim-2-5m/

I was looking for aluminium sides but couldn't find any the right size, and the spare computer chassis components were expensive so I went a bit creative with the stair nosings and tile edge trims! The stair nosings were a bit tricky because the corners weren't at a right angle as it looked in the picture but nevertheless I made them fit! Apart from that they were the exact depth to fit with the standoffs. I glued the corners in place with silicone. Amazing what you can do with spare DIY bits and pieces!

Glad to see you've finally got that DIMM, I can't imagine how you managed without it. You mainly need to check your connections for continuity. You can also check the resistance of the meters, check the original to see if the new ones are the same but I don't think the meters are the problem. I suspect one or more of your connections is dodgy, probably something you did just prior to the meters. You can wiggle them a bit to see if they are properly connected, and check the wires and component legs to make sure they aren't loose or broken, and make sure your board's clean.

Feb 10, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #4,107 of 4,154
I think I may prefer the Miflexes for their slighly rougher and slightly more impactful sound. Or maybe it's just that I've gotten very used to them :)
I'm loving the sound atm with the Nichicons still in place so can't really imagine much improvement with film caps.. but if they do.. then that would be good! The bass is almost too strong for me now, nevertheless the sound with them in place has stepped up even more and is comparable to listening to a live performance with all that bass impact and drums, good depth and holography to that immersive soundstage, just amazing!

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #4,108 of 4,154
*** Hey Maxx, I see you've restored all the picture links! That must have been almost as exciting as watching paint dry 😍🤩🥳👍. Now the thread is fun again!

Feb 13, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #4,109 of 4,154
*** Hey Maxx, I see you've restored all the picture links! That must have been almost as exciting as watching paint dry 😍🤩🥳👍. Now the thread is fun again!
I ddn do it...😮

Also, I forgot that I did extend my chassis a half inch(!) 😅

20170530_105535.jpg

🙃🙂

Feb 13, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #4,110 of 4,154
almost as exciting as watching paint dry 😍🤩🥳👍....
Haha actually, I actually have been watching paint dry!
Screenshot_20220213-024252_Gallery.jpg

Finishing some gloss coats today... 😀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back