Little Dot MK8SE / MK6 Super Mods (All verified mods are on first page)
Jan 24, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #796 of 4,154
@baronbeehive

That's right, I forgot the Audyns were huge!

Parts list look excellent and will most definitely sound excellent as well!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #797 of 4,154
I might have had to employ my carpentry skills and make a big box like Redge
biggrin.gif
. I'm quite keen to hear the Audyns anyway, shame they can't make a compact version of them as well to suit our mods!

Jan 24, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #798 of 4,154
Few questions regarding the coming mod. Does the modifictaion to be somehow connected with the Lo-Hi gain switch? Will it be still possible to switch between the two modes?
If I will match the amp with my primary headphones 35 ohm (no switch) how it will influence the sound of my secondary once with 70 ohm resistance. They are quite close.
I am wondering for which range of resistance the MKVI was better optimised. Now it can work with 25 ohm and 600 ohm as well doing good job. But there should be a range in which it works more or less optimal. Do you now what is the range value? Just curious as I hope very soon I will optimise the amp for not only the range but for accurate value
biggrin.gif
, thanks to you guys. I know that I will use the secondary headphones very rarely and for now I don't see any competiton for my primary headphones (including the hd800 new and old). Somehow I don't want to have choices 
redface.gif
. I just want to listen to my music. Having many options with tube rolling is more than I wish for as the MK VI with some adapters has endless combination of them. From my point of view the resistor switch will be more suitable for the tube rolling capability of MK VI than for changing the headphones. Having the matching for the different types of tubes eg. 6080, 421A and 5998 families will be a good thing. If you will post an instructions for the mod can you also show us one example of equation with values in it corresponding to the data sheet of the tube eg. 6080 ? I think I can figure it out by my self but good example is always a help. 
One more thing. I am testing the russian tubes. They are a 6SL7 family and seems to better the new production Tung Sols. There is not a big difference. In general they are giving more expressive sound.
In my opinion the 6SL7 tube family is more suitable for headphones with low sensitivity (less then 98 db). 

Jan 24, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #799 of 4,154
  Few questions regarding the coming mod. Does the modifictaion to be somehow connected with the Lo-Hi gain switch? Will it be still possible to switch between the two modes?
If I will match the amp with my primary headphones 35 ohm (no switch) how it will influence the sound of my secondary once with 70 ohm resistance. They are quite close.
I am wondering for which range of resistance the MKVI was better optimised. Now it can work with 25 ohm and 600 ohm as well doing good job. But there should be a range in which it works more or less optimal. Do you now what is the range value? Just curious as I hope very soon I will optimise the amp for not only the range but for accurate value
biggrin.gif
, thanks to you guys. I know that I will use the secondary headphones very rarely and for now I don't see any competiton for my primary headphones (including the hd800 new and old). Somehow I don't want to have choices 
redface.gif
. I just want to listen to my music. Having many options with tube rolling is more than I wish for as the MK VI with some adapters has endless combination of them. From my point of view the resistor switch will be more suitable for the tube rolling capability of MK VI than for changing the headphones. Having the matching for the different types of tubes eg. 6080, 421A and 5998 families will be a good thing. If you will post an instructions for the mod can you also show us one example of equation with values in it corresponding to the data sheet of the tube eg. 6080 ? I think I can figure it out by my self but good example is always a help.
One more thing. I am testing the russian tubes. They are a 6SL7 family and seems to better the new production Tung Sols. There is not a big difference. In general they are giving more expressive sound.
In my opinion the 6SL7 tube family is more suitable for headphones with low sensitivity (less then 98 db).

I agree about just enjoying the music, that's my aim, I've more or less finished with tube rolling anway, I have my preferred set.

So your secondary headphones are the HD800's now? Wow! I am intrigued about this new mod as well.

Did you manage to get any NOS tubes! Some say the 6SL7 tubes sound slightly different to the equivalent make of 6SN7's, and this may be due to the different wattage and resistance figures, I don't know.

Jan 24, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #800 of 4,154
I did not get the NOS tubes 
frown.gif
. But if not this time then next. Any way I feel that the Psvane 6SL7-Z's may be be good enough to stop rolling the driver stage tubes. But I would like to have some good NOSes to experience the difference and understand what you guys are writing about 
rolleyes.gif
. The power tubes are a challange to my wallet. I am aming to get the WE 421A and good 6080. Then do a change just when I will have urge for a change (this sickness calls audiofillionervosa and happends from time to time
biggrin.gif
). I have to pospone the hunting in time for the power tubes as my wallet right now is totaly broken. 
My secondary headphones are Sony Z-7. I have sold my HD800 half a year ago after more then three years of very happy listening.

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #801 of 4,154
  I did not get the NOS tubes 
frown.gif
. But if not this time then next. Any way I feel that the Psvane 6SL7-Z's may be be good enough to stop rolling the driver stage tubes. But I would like to have some good NOSes to experience the difference and understand what you guys are writing about 
rolleyes.gif
. The power tubes are a challange to my wallet. I am aming to get the WE 421A and good 6080. Then do a change just when I will have urge for a change (this sickness calls audiofillionervosa and happends from time to time
biggrin.gif
)..................

We have a similar disease, its called upgraditis over here!

My secondary headphones are Sony Z-7. I have sold my HD800 half a year ago after more then three years of very happy listening.

Oh I misunderstood, so the Sony's are your secondaries, and your HD800's the primaries. What are you using now if you have sold your HD800's?

Let us know if you want any advice on the NOS tubes, you needn't spend a fortune!

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #802 of 4,154

We have a similar disease, its called upgraditis over here!

Oh I misunderstood, so the Sony's are your secondaries, and your HD800's the primaries. What are you using now if you have sold your HD800's?

Let us know if you want any advice on the NOS tubes, you needn't spend a fortune!

I am using HE1000 as primaries. And I realy don't have any desire to plug in other ones even for comparison. It will be just a waste of time 
atsmile.gif

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #803 of 4,154

Till now I havent seen NOS (or even used) WE421A in the internet costing less then fortune (speaking about tubes, I am not used to buy such expensive tubes). I have to get used to the idea that it is worth to have them and then enjoy the best sounding headphone amp in the world. Difficult to imagine how it could be better sounding but I will have to check it. Now there is no way back. This is getting crazy
basshead.gif

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #804 of 4,154

Till now I havent seen NOS (or even used) WE421A in the internet costing less then fortune (speaking about tubes, I am not used to buy such expensive tubes). I have to get used to the idea that it is worth to have them and then enjoy the best sounding headphone amp in the world. Difficult to imagine how it could be better sounding but I will have to check it. Now there is no way back. This is getting crazy :basshead: .  

What sound signature do you like? Warm and smooth or clear and detailed?

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #805 of 4,154
  Till now I havent seen NOS (or even used) WE421A in the internet costing less then fortune (speaking about tubes, I am not used to buy such expensive tubes). I have to get used to the idea that it is worth to have them and then enjoy the best sounding headphone amp in the world. Difficult to imagine how it could be better sounding but I will have to check it. Now there is no way back. This is getting crazy
basshead.gif

Ha ha, welcome to the crazy world of the audiophiles.....
biggrin.gif
. I was watching 3 western electric 421A's just now, put in a hopeful bid but they went too high for me also. I have 2 but need 2 more obviously but I won't pay too much like you! You have chosen to get the most expensive tubes out there, and having to get 4 of them for power tubes doesn't help! If I were you I would get some cheap and good RCA 6AS7G's for $20 each and then try some really interesting driver tubes so that you can get an idea what NOS sound like. Don't forget you have to go by the testing figures to see if you think they are NOS or not, you cannot tell just by the seller saying they are NOS. In any case a set of strong testing could be OK so long as they are closely matched, and they will be cheaper!

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #806 of 4,154

Clear and detailed. I have auditioned few times the Stax 009 with solid and tube amps and they did not impresed me. I like the sound reproduction getting close to live performance without coloration. So besides the nice timbre of instruments there is also important good reproduction of transients giving vivid feeling of short and energetic sounds (eg percussion but not only).

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #807 of 4,154
What DAC do you use?

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #808 of 4,154

Clear and detailed. I have auditioned few times the Stax 009 with solid and tube amps and they did not impresed me. I like the sound reproduction getting close to live performance without coloration. So besides the nice timbre of instruments there is also important good reproduction of transients giving vivid feeling of short and energetic sounds (eg percussion but not only).

Then the we421a's will suit you perfectly. Make sure, as baron suggested, to get NOS or strong testing ones. They won't come cheap though. You could also try the 5998's which has similar sound signature as the we421a's. They're usually about half price of the 421a's.

Jan 24, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #809 of 4,154
  Ha ha, welcome to the crazy world of the audiophiles.....
biggrin.gif
. I was watching 3 western electric 421A's just now, put in a hopeful bid but they went too high for me also. I have 2 but need 2 more obviously but I won't pay too much like you! You have chosen to get the most expensive tubes out there, and having to get 4 of them for power tubes doesn't help! If I were you I would get some cheap and good RCA 6AS7G's for $20 each and then try some really interesting driver tubes so that you can get an idea what NOS sound like. Don't forget you have to go by the testing figures to see if you think they are NOS or not, you cannot tell just by the seller saying they are NOS. In any case a set of strong testing could be OK so long as they are closely matched, and they will be cheaper!

Yes this hunting can be long and exhausting. But with what I have achived alredy I don't feel any need to get them now or even at all. Especialy for the prices they are proposed for. There are other alternatives which may sound very close. As I said it is difficult for me to imagine right now what way the sound could be improved but I belive it can. If I will not get them then I will ran my imagination from time to time how they can sound and still have  a banana smile on my face.  

Jan 24, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #810 of 4,154
Mogos, if you want clear and detailed then TS998 as MisterX suggested for about $150 each, expensive! Then there's Bendix 6080WB superbly clear, detailed and musical but not harsh. I had these for many years and only changed because I prefer a warmer sound hence the RCA 6AS7G's. Bendixes are now approaching 5998 prices, they were just starting to get expensive when I got mine. Some on the other LD Mkvi/mk8 thread mentioned the Svetlana Winged C as being a very detailed power tube which I haven't tried.

Pretty much all power tubes are getting expensive!

I can't really think of any live sounding driver tubes, I prefer warm sound. The only ones that spring to mind are Raytheon 6SN7's which are good, and not expensive last time I looked. Failing that you could try mixing some RCA 6AS7G's with Psvane driver tubes which should give a very detailed dynamic sound, but of course are not NOS tubes.

Only other thing I can think of change your DAC for a live sounding one, such as the Chord Hugo, or M-DAC, yet more expense and audiophillionervosa I'm afraid
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back