Little Dot MK VI
Mar 9, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #106 of 125
It sounds like it needs its place in your sig.
wink.gif

Where did you order the unit from?

Mar 9, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #107 of 125
I ordered directly from Little Dot. They have the best price and service. You can email David at little.tube@gmail.com Remember to ask for your countries correct voltage transformer.

Also mention that you are a member of head-fi. I think he knows that if he gives head-fi members good service, he will get more business.

Mar 9, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #108 of 125
Thanks. May I ask what you paid in total? Audiophilechina sells for 794$ shipped.
I am afraid to get stung really hard by customs etc.
frown.gif

Sep 2, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #109 of 125
Onlychild, can you tell us more about the comparations of the MKVI to your DV332? Is it a big improvement? Are there any areas where the DV332 is better. I have DV332 and I am very satisfied with its sound signature. I am planning to recable my HD800 for being balanced and I am looking for a good balanced amp with reasonable price. So I can still have some money to buy a good interconnect. HD800 are creating very goog sound stage and instrument separation powered by DV332. But you know you always think if it could be better. If Little Dot can bring a little beat more warmnes then it can be very interesting.

Oct 21, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #110 of 125
Quote:

onlychild
Also, if this a first sign of how things will be, get better from here, balanced is worth it for me with my HD650s.

I just ordered my MK vi+ and some HD600, what cable are you using for your balanced HD650's? and are you Using 4-pin XLR or the 3pin XLR's on the back?

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #111 of 125
Hi all,

I am looking at the Little Dot MK vi... and thinking of pairing it with a AKG 701.

In the past I have used tube amps for speakers and with classical music I realised that the sound was in fact so warm that it was a lot more warm than real life and distorted the sound this way. This has put me off the tube sound a little, even though I love the tube sound otherwise, but maybe it was just my set up of my particular preamp, amp etc...

So I am thinking of tubes again but was just wondering if the sound "warm but real", or "warm but distorted (overly warm)" with the Little Dot Mk Vi?

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #112 of 125
Warm but real. The main gain from the MKVI is the raw power. The drivers in your headphones will have never seen such control before. I've never heard a 701 on my amp because nobody's ever come to a meet with a balanced 701 so I can't say how it sounds, but it should be pretty good.

This amp is a great match with HD600.

Sep 2, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #113 of 125
Great, that sounds good to me, and there are some great reviews on the amp

I just noticed on the picture at little dot site, that the outputs on the Little Dot Mk vi are

4 pin XLR

2 x 3 pin XLR (PRE amp)

single ended headphone jack 

What does the preamp next to the 2x3 pin mean? Does this mean that it won't work with a balanced headphone with 2 x 3 pin?

Sep 2, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #114 of 125

Quote:
Great, that sounds good to me, and there are some great reviews on the amp

I just noticed on the picture at little dot site, that the outputs on the Little Dot Mk vi are

4 pin XLR

2 x 3 pin XLR (PRE amp)

single ended headphone jack 

What does the preamp next to the 2x3 pin mean? Does this mean that it won't work with a balanced headphone with 2 x 3 pin?

You can connect those to the 2x3 pin XLR balanced headphone, however you are going to need an adaptor (XLR gender changer), since the 2x3 pin XLR preamp output are male and your 2x3 pin XLR balanced phone are male too. You can use these preamp out as amp out anyway.

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #116 of 125
How long, in general, do tubes last for?

In the past when using tubes for amplifiers for speakers, I had to replace them every 3 months or so, and the shop I got the amps from said this was so, and they did need frequent replacement (but maybe these were low quality tubes or something?). But reading online it seems like tubes normally last for a much longer time, like 2000-5000 hours or something... What's been your experience?

Also, with balanced, I have an existing DAC that is not balanced... I am considering balanced amp and headphones, but DAC is not... Will this mean that the main advantage of balanced is no longer there? In other words, is it more important that the DAC is balanced?

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #117 of 125
I'd suggest a balanced output DAC, such as the DACMagic. Would be a waste to get this amp with an unbalanced source.

I'm still on the stock driver tubes I started with in Jan 2009. One of my stock power tubes was defective from the get go, but the ones I bought to replace them ($4 each) have been going strong for nearly as long.

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #118 of 125
I only can say for the price and being balanced providing that your source is balanced it is hard to beat!

This weekend I had another HeadFi member visited with his pretty much maxed WA6 and did a comparison head on with phones ranging from 25-600 ohms. The result were shocking how the Little Dot Mk6 Just spank the WA6 in every aspect.

I was totally surprised how the Little Dot MK6 being OTL drove the Denon D7000 @ 25 ohms with ease. The little Dot MK6 being Push Pull topology in design has allot of slew rate allowing low impedance phone needing current to be driven.

The Little Dot MK6 had much better performance as follow:

1) control

2) sound signature

3) sound stage

4) separation

5) power

I have a Woo WA 6-SE on order with the Sophia upgraded rectifier and hope for better results!  Once I a have an opportunity to repeat setup and test as above I will report back on this thread.

Sep 5, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #119 of 125
Not sure the external PSU will help it enough to close the distance between it and the MKVI.

At minimum the MKVI supplies 1.4W at 32ohm. At maximum it supplies 19W at 32 ohms. These figures are based on figures generated by Steve Eddy in this post: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/510060/schiit-valhalla-has-been-shipped-reviews-impressions-and-musings/45#post_6900607

Perhaps I should email David and get the final word on outputs instead of having to deal with an either-or problem.

Sep 5, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #120 of 125
Interesting and thank you for the information. I am still surprised how it drove the D7000 at 25 ohms with so much control and no strain.

At best I know that it is perfect match for my K1000 120 ohms at 5 watts with the sensitivity dip switches set in high gain.

I which Little Dot would have placed those switches external that would have been a great feature and benefit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back