Little Dot MK VI
May 27, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #16 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty cool, looking at the original prototype and now the finished product.

Inputs and outputs were paired together in the proto, wonder why they chose to use this setup in the end.

Versatility I would imagine, allows use as preamp while giving balanced head phone output at the same time. That's my best guess at the moment.

Peete.

May 28, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #17 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Versatility I would imagine, allows use as preamp while giving balanced head phone output at the same time. That's my best guess at the moment.

Peete.

Okay that's awesome, for i have a pair of genelec actives with balanced inputs and i am currently looking for a pre-amp and a head amp.

Sorry for being kind of poorly knowledged, but what does it mean to have balanced headphones?

I have the grado sr325's, would this amp run those without problems? I figure that there exists an adapter for the 6.3mm plug from an xlr seen on the front panel here.

So are my cans balanced? Previous little dot's have been proven to function greatly with low impedance grados too.

Surely anyone hasn't tried it yet, but any speculations?

thanks

-K

May 31, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #18 of 125
Hmm... Have to wait a bit for recabling my RS-2's. Maybe I'll recable them to 4-pin XLR someday
wink.gif

Jun 3, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #21 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay that's awesome, for i have a pair of genelec actives with balanced inputs and i am currently looking for a pre-amp and a head amp.

Sorry for being kind of poorly knowledged, but what does it mean to have balanced headphones?

I have the grado sr325's, would this amp run those without problems? I figure that there exists an adapter for the 6.3mm plug from an xlr seen on the front panel here.

So are my cans balanced? Previous little dot's have been proven to function greatly with low impedance grados too.

Surely anyone hasn't tried it yet, but any speculations?

thanks

-K

You have to buy an after market cable or get one built for the grado's. AFAIK no head phones come with balanced cables OOTB. With the 4 pin XLR on this amp the latter is likely. Not many amps using this novel connector(yet). Balanced simply means one cable and connector dedicated to each driver, The difference being in the design of the carrier (XLR) as having separate lines for +,- and ground, hence three pins. Single ended lumps the negative and ground terminal together. Not the best way to do things but more than good enough for short runs of cable. Balanced circuits run at +4db while SE are at -10db. One advantage to balanced is length of cable is not an issue, it's the same performance from 1 foot to 100
smily_headphones1.gif
As for the function of the MK VI I'm not entirely positive that it could function as a pre amp but I don't see why not either. It's in keeping with LD's philosophy for the MK series amps. Dual function as head phone amp and if you like a *pre amp for the main rig(s). *provided your gear has balanced inputs of course.

Hope this helps a little. Sorry it took me a few days to answer, very busy these days
smily_headphones1.gif

We'll have to wait for an official review for the concrete details...I'm on this amp like icing on cake if it's less than 700US shipped. Tube rolling/cap upgrades should make massive improvements in SQ if the iron in this amp is up to snuff. I don't think Sword or David skimped in this critical area. You can get away with mediocre caps and resistors but not mediocre output and power trannies.....my 2 cents FWIW.

Jun 4, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #22 of 125
Apparently you can plug 3 pin XLR on the back for headphone use, but the problem is that the output socket is male that means you will have to reterminate your balanced cable to female plugs.

The best option is use 3pin-4pin converter or reterminate the cable to 4pin plug all together. What a pain in the *****.

Jun 6, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #24 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be doing an official review on the amp when it comes out. Stay tuned guys, this is gonna be interesting.

nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #25 of 125
Quote:

I will be doing an official review on the amp when it comes out. Stay tuned guys, this is gonna be interesting.

Do you happen to know when it will be released for export ?

Peete.

Jun 6, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #26 of 125
Hey Penguin your from my neck of the woods, I'm in the East end of the GTA region. You know of any more head fi'ers within the GTA region ?
Might be cool to organize a mini meet for the MK VI when you get one.

Just an idea,

Peete.

Jun 6, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #27 of 125
Mid-July I believe.

There are so many head-fi'ers in Toronto, unfortunately i dont know anyone personally. They had a huge Canadian meet i believe in Toronto Reference Library or somewhere a few years ago.

Jun 6, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #28 of 125
I am sure that it is well thought through in design, and has numerous strengths, but I don't think they will sell very many. They should have an option for regular RCA inputs and an unbalanced headphone jack.

Jun 6, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #29 of 125
Quote:

Mid-July I believe.

There are so many head-fi'ers in Toronto, unfortunately i dont know anyone personally. They had a huge Canadian meet i believe in Toronto Reference Library or somewhere a few years ago.

Thanks Pengy,

I wonder if there is another one in the works ?

I wonder how many LD enthusiasts there are in T.O. ?
I know of 2
biggrin.gif
You and me, so far
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jun 6, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #30 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by rivieraranch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am sure that it is well thought through in design, and has numerous strengths, but I don't think they will sell very many. They should have an option for regular RCA inputs and an unbalanced headphone jack.

That would add complexity that's not in keeping with LD's design philosophy IMHO. Simple, classic tube circuits, executed well, with quality parts seems to be LD's MO.
How many fully balanced all tube head amps do you know of for under 700 bucks ? I think they'll sell like crazy if the amp's design and parts are up to snuff. It all depends on how it sounds with decent tubes.

Just MHO.

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back