Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Oct 3, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #811 of 2,724

Haven't heard the Psvane 6SN7 but there 12A**7 dual triode tubes are amongst the best money can buy for a fraction of what NOS vintage tubes ask for.

Since you have the MK VIIISE to try out 12AT7 tubes, buy a set of Mullard CV4024 and report back to me how they sound, I find them to provide a very very very nice low-end.

Thanks for the tip. My inventory of 12AT7 tubes is bigger than my needs and I believe that I have covered most areas of my setups. I will consider the Mullards in the next hunt for 12AT7 tubes. It is a pity that there is no rental library for tubes :)

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #812 of 2,724

Both sets arrived today.  They're a noticeable step up from the stock tubes.  Slightly more treble, definitely more bass and a little bit clearer sounding overall.

I think I might snatch a pair of those Tung Sols up when I get mine. I'm thinking of grabbing it in decemeber. I was going to get a new balanced amp but... pff I don't need one, the pb1 works fine for the Beyers and He's and the hm801 un amped it magical for my w1000x. Plus I'd rather wait till spring to get my w1000x re cabled q.q [as getting a new amp would mean I'd need to balanced my w1000x to use it on the go]

So that said... I need time to prep the long wait for getting her balanced q.q 

Oct 5, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #814 of 2,724
Says 350mm (length) by 290mm (width) by 140mm (height) on the site, not sure if that's including the stock tubes.

Can I use a single ended source, but balanced headphone output on the VI+ ?

Oct 5, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #816 of 2,724

feet it is about 11 1/4 wide and 7 inch depth

ehm I think you mean inchs

so it would be 11 1/4 wide 7inch length. I highly doubt is stands 7 inches tall [not including the tubes ofc] 

still that's not bad I have a little table set aside for it! 

Oct 5, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #818 of 2,724
  Great as long it is on the top self and does not move since the feet will be on the edge using the measurements I gave you!

On yea this table is like 2feet sqaured. It's what I use to take pics of my gear atm so there is plenty of room for an amp+ my Woo Audio Stand, 

and it's only a table no shelvs yet for me :3 

Oct 5, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #819 of 2,724
@john57
@Mshenay

Thanks, guys!

It seems fit my rack, OK.

I consider LD VI+ for my HE-6 solely.

But the more I listen to HifiMANs with my cheapo NAD C326BEE, the more I hesitate about LD...

Oct 5, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #820 of 2,724
  @john57
@Mshenay

Thanks, guys!

It seems fit my rack, OK.

I consider LD VI+ for my HE-6 solely.

But the more I listen to HifiMANs with my cheapo NAD C326BEE, the more I hesitate about LD...

There was one member who really like it for the HE 6, and a balanced tube should be better than a cheap SE one.

Still when I get to the HE 6 I plan to upgrade to the hopefully still PCM based Audio gd Ref 10.32

it's still 6w at 50ohms so it's more powerful than the EF6.

I just wonder if the tube will have enough current to drive it, 

Oct 5, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #822 of 2,724
I tried the NAD briefly with the HE-6 and it sounded good but can't compete with the ultra-realism of the LD

Indeed, that Ultra Real sound of the LD is what I am hoping for. Plenty of you have said that even the stock tubes have a good sound to them! :D not sure If I'll grab the LDVI+ in winter or in the Spring... 

Oct 5, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #823 of 2,724
I tried the NAD briefly with the HE-6 and it sounded good but can't compete with the ultra-realism of the LD

That's what gets me with the LD. Realism but beautiful sound as well. I haven't heard anything yet which sounds harsh at all. Also I find in balanced mode the soundstage is more realistic with depth as well as width. When I switch it on I have my very own band there standing behind the speakers, or outside my head with the cans. Also the mkvi+ will be very  versatile as well.

Oct 5, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #824 of 2,724

That's what gets me with the LD. Realism but beautiful sound as well. I haven't heard anything yet which sounds harsh at all. Also I find in balanced mode the soundstage is more realistic with depth as well as width. When I switch it on I have my very own band there standing behind the speakers, or outside my head with the cans. Also the mkvi+ will be very  versatile as well.

Again happy to hear that, I do belive the balanced design helps with that realism. Breaking down the sound into 4 channels and amping them seperatly, should offer a much cleaner sound then the traditional 2 channel design 

still I might get this in December :D [although I'd have to balance my w1000x q.q and that's going to take some time to get them back >.>] 

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #825 of 2,724
My advice if you are going to stay with single ended outputs but wanted tubes one consideration is the Schiit Lyr. It is a strong hybrid tube amp using a pair of 6DJ8/6922 and has Maximum Power of 6 watts into 32 ohms or 4 watts into 50 ohms. Like my Little Dot VI+ both are DC coupled at the outputs and both are using DC servos in the circuit. If I wanted all balanced SS amp I would also look into Schiit Mjolnir product which has balanced outs only. All Schiit transformers, boards, casework and assembly are all done in USA with a five year warranty.  By the way my Shiit is sitting next to my LD VI+ and both are driven by separate pro audio cards in one computer. Both are also driving separate sets of powered  near field audio monitors. My brand new JBL LSR305 monitors has the best performance/price ratio I ever heard in a monitor and their are many I have heard in my lifetime. My Schiit is driving my JBL’s and the LD VI+ is driving my Emotiva Airmotiv 6 in addition to headphones. I have over 30 years of listening and working with audio. I do desktop video editing and music composing with my computer as a DAW (digital audio Workstation). Three keyboards I can use. I have multi OS’s on my computer that I can chose during boot up. It is a feature that is built-in with my motherboard to avoid conflicts and to maximize resources depending on the kind of work I wanted to do at the time.  My Schiit and the LD which does have greater depth more of a feeling being in a concert hall but both are champions in their right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back