Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Sep 27, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #782 of 2,724
Absolutely.  It will be a while though.  They arrived at Lawton Audio today, and he said there's about a 4 week turnaround.

whats he charging

Sep 28, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #786 of 2,724

It was $317 total.  10ft of their Copper One cable and a 4-pin XLR was $298, and return shipping was $19.

yeap. I think I'll stick with Zombie_X

Sep 28, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #787 of 2,724

I changed the gain back to low.  Now the maximum is between 80 and 90.  And the buzz is completely gone.  Even at 80 they're still louder than what the WA6 could do with them.

Are you using the stock tubes?

Yes the buzz went when I switched from my Audio Technica ATH AD2000's to the HD600's on low gain. However listening on balanced outputs now, instead of single ended, the buzz has completely gone, so I think it was associated with the single ended wiring. I've settled on my long term tube set which are Bendix/Tungsol 6080WB's and Tungsol 6SL7GT round plate tubes. I see little need to try anything else for the type of sound I want, ie warm, smooth, balanced, detailed bass, silky treble and good soudstage.

Sep 28, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #788 of 2,724

Yes the buzz went when I switched from my Audio Technica ATH AD2000's to the HD600's on low gain. However listening on balanced outputs now, instead of single ended, the buzz has completely gone, so I think it was associated with the single ended wiring. I've settled on my long term tube set which are Bendix/Tungsol 6080WB's and Tungsol 6SL7GT round plate tubes. I see little need to try anything else for the type of sound I want, ie warm, smooth, balanced, detailed bass, silky treble and good soudstage.

Tung Sols are notorious for Balanced, Sound Stage and Silky Airy Highs! I definatly want to drop some TS into my MKVI+ when I do get it 

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #790 of 2,724
Sep 29, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #791 of 2,724
The older the better but don't believe the ******** when sellers on fleabay say that an 40 - 50's RCA sound on par with some of the other top range tubes, RCA's are all the same (same with GE) until you get a coin base tall ladder 6SN7 which are probably the best RCA's you can get for the 6SN7 family.

Sep 29, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #793 of 2,724

You should be fine with the RCA 6AS7G's, they're great, cheap tubes and only slightly inferior to the Bendix, for example. You would notice a difference on close listening but they're pretty  good. I would try to get some round plate black glass Tungsol 6SL7's as that construction gives the best SQ on a par with the 6SN7's, in fact I can't tell any difference. Re the RCA 6SN7's, they are great easy listening tubes with good warmth and definition, though not the best. They used to be my favourite all rounders. I would disagree with DefQon to some extent regarding the older the better. I think modern versions of some tubes can be better sound wise though not necessarily construction wise. I remember having some gray glass vt21's which people rave about and I didn't rate them at all. Since when I've heard there is much disagreement about this, and also much variablilty in these tubes, but I much preferred the cheap, modern GTB's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back