Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Sep 22, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #2,536 of 2,724
Hy

Has anybody a good advice for a dac in combination with the mk vi+ ?

Thinking to buy a LKS MH-Da004 ,but i am not shure if it a good combi

Sep 23, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #2,537 of 2,724
My suggestions for mods would be:

1 - most important - coupling caps x 4:
https://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/1501522-0-47uf-audyn-cap-true-copper-capacitor.html
or something cheaper:
Russian caps such as: K75-10, or K73-16

2 - almost as important as coupling caps - WCF caps x 4: same as above

3 - Anode resistors x 4:
https://www.hificollective.co.uk/content/cm2-550-68k-2w-tkd-correctohm-metal-film-resistor

4 - Cathode resistors x 2:
https://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/res05s590-390k-shinkoh-resistor-p-2049.html

The anode/cathode resistor changes will increase liveliness of the amp considerably, but they will work best if you are using 6SL7 tubes. If you chose the Russian caps these mods would not be expensive but I have no experience of these caps.

The drawback is you will need to remove the PCB in order to solder the new parts in place.

Any questions about these mods, just check up page one of the supermods thread that SonicTrance posted or post a question on that thread and we will be happy to help!

Thank you sir, really appreciate it. Makes it so much easier now.

Sep 25, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #2,539 of 2,724
Okay thankks. Pontus come on my list . also think about a audio-gd nfb 7.77.

Why the Singxer ? is it better to reclock a r2r signal ?

Jan 8, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #2,541 of 2,724
Happy New Year to all Litlle Dot MK VI(+) and VIII owners! :beerchug:

Yesterday I joined to the club with a VI+ model. So far so good, I'm very happy with the sound signature of this steampunk device. :)
This is a used, four years old amp with upgraded fans and it supports my HPs as well as my ProAc speakers over Electrocompaniet or diy Pass Labs Aleph 5 power amps .

20190108_125723_2.jpg
A few months ago I've read myself thorough the thread, but there are a tremendous quantity of information.
I'll start it again, but until then I really appreciate any help or link to a few good power tube sets around EUR 20-50/piece (max EUR 200 for the set of four) which can offer me even better results than the stock tubes.

I plan Shuguang Black Treasure in the front row, as it has been serving me very well in my Darkvoice 336SE.
As far as I see, it is possible to use it without an adapter. Due the smaller diameter of the hole, it doesn't reach the bottom of the plate but fits very secure and lights up when I power-on the amp.
On the other hand I don't want to risk anything, so I might buy tube saver adapters if it's mandatory.

I've a small, but somewhat annoying issue with the amp. There is a quiet but audible (around 30-35dB/600-650Hz) noise from the tubes or the power transformer cubes when I attach the power tubes.
Has anybody faced with the same problem? What is the solution to get rid of the noise?

Thanks in advance for any help regarding the tube replacement or the noise problem! :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #2,542 of 2,724
Happy New Year to all Litlle Dot MK VI(+) and VIII owners! :beerchug:

Yesterday I joined to the club with a VI+ model. So far so good, I'm very happy with the sound signature of this steampunk device. :)
This is a used, four years old ampwith upgraded fans and it supports my HPs as well as my ProAc speakers over Electrocmpaniet or diy Pass Labs Aleph 5 power amps .

A few months ago I've read myself thorough the thread, but there are a tremendous quantity of information.
I'll start it again, but until then I really appreciate any help or link to a few good power tube sets around EUR 20-50/piece (max EUR 200 for the set of four) which can offer me even better results than the stock tubes.

I plan Shuguang Black Treasure in the front row, as it has been serving me very well in my Darkvoice 336SE.
As far as I see, it is possible to use it without an adapter. Do tu the smaller diameter of the hole, it doesn't reach the bottom of the plate but fits very secure and lights up when I power-on the amp.
On the other hand I don't want to risk anything, so I might buy tube saver adapters if it's mandatory.

I've a small, but somewhat annoying issue with the amp. There is a silent but audible around 30-35dB/600-650Hz noise from the tubes or the power transformer cubes when I attach the power tubes.
Has anybody faced with the same problem? What is the solution to get rid of the noise?

Thanks in advance for any help regarding the tube replacement or the noise problem! :smile_phones:

Happy New Year, and welcome to the LD MK VI+ Fan Club!

Without a doubt, the Little Dot MK VI+/VIII headphone amps punch well above their weight class. Occasionally, I start my eye wandering for something better (read: more expensive), but I'm usually surfing while listening to my MK VI+ driving LCD-4s, ultimately come to the epiphany that I'm already in an audio zen state and have no need to continue to pursue the obsession.

Early on, I posted a list of Likely Suspects for tube rolling:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lit...se-owners-unite.522099/page-150#post_12203881

I'm currently rocking:

• Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z black bottle driver tubes
  • RCA 6AS7G vintage NOS matched power tubes

and am quite happy. But of course, there's no end to tube rolling, so these will likely not be my last set.

I'm not directly familiar with the noise you describe, but can tell you my MK VI+ is not perfectly silent, even with quieter fans. Might be part of the charm, but I'd be curious what others think.

- Dave

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #2,543 of 2,724
Happy New Year, and welcome to the LD MK VI+ Fan Club!

Without a doubt, the Little Dot MK VI+/VIII headphone amps punch well above their weight class. Occasionally, I start my eye wandering for something better (read: more expensive), but I'm usually surfing while listening to my MK VI+ driving LCD-4s, ultimately come to the epiphany that I'm already in an audio zen state and have no need to continue to pursue the obsession.

Early on, I posted a list of Likely Suspects for tube rolling:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lit...se-owners-unite.522099/page-150#post_12203881

I'm currently rocking:

• Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z black bottle driver tubes
  • RCA 6AS7G vintage NOS matched power tubes

and am quite happy. But of course, there's no end to tube rolling, so these will likely not be my last set.

I'm not directly familiar with the noise you describe, but can tell you my MK VI+ is not perfectly silent, even with quieter fans. Might be part of the charm, but I'd be curious what others think.

- Dave
Thanks for the response @ViperGeek!
I'll check the RCA tubes definitely as well as your other recommendations You have saved me a few hours of searching. :)
Do you need adapters for the Shuguangs?

I'll uninstall the fans tomorrow to check whether they are responsible for the noise or not.
I'm still not familiar with the Little Dot MKVI+, but made some evaluation regarding that strange sound.
When I turn the amp on, there is no noise, and only the left Vu meter lights. After 2-3 minutes, the right VU meter starts to light up slowly and somewhere in the middle of this process, I hear a small but audible click.
After this point the aforementioned noise is immediately there. I can locate it to somewhere close the left transformer or the left two power tubes.
When I remove all the power tubes, the noise fades away.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #2,544 of 2,724
Thanks for the response @ViperGeek!
I'll check the RCA tubes definitely as well as your other recommendations You have saved me a few hours of searching. :)
Do you need adapters for the Shuguangs?
You're very welcome.

The Shuguang CV181-Z drivers need adapters, but the more expensive CV181-TII drivers have a smaller base and do not need adapters. Checking out their website, I guess the CV181-Zs aren't available anymore.
[UPDATE: Google says they're available elsewhere.]

I kinda like the look of the gold stands:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Gold-EL3...al-Vacuum-Tube-Socket-Saver-Base/312204616309

Good luck, and happy rolling!

- Dave

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #2,546 of 2,724
Hi Guys,
I had some issues as well with the Driver tubes which were causing crakling noise. I read that we can use a soldering iron to clean each of the probes for about 30 seconds each, I tried it and it really worked. Word of caution though, the tube gets a tad bit warm so let it cool down prior to insertion into amp.

I am also trying to lay my hands on the Caig Deoxit. I can't seem to get it locally here in Singapore though. I have also been using Russian tubes from Melz factory, namely 1578 and 1579 and man I love them to death, very airy, soudstage, nice mids, good punch as well. Currently waiting for stocks to arrive for the 1578 Vintage Melz hole tubes.

I have a pair of Ken-Rad 231, but don't quiet like them in my setup. They sound pulled back, not as airy and soundstage is sorely lacking compared to the Russian counterpart. Go Russian, cheap and good I'd say. Currently waiting for my Shunyata Triton to arrive and a few more Russian tubeys to arrive.

Might give the Psvane CV 181 MkTii a go soon. Thank you guys.

Jan 8, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #2,547 of 2,724

Might give the Psvane CV 181 MkTii a go soon. Thank you guys.

Those are actually my favourites. Combined with 2 x Tung sol 5998 and 2 x 6N13S Svetlana's.

Really love this combination.

Jan 8, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #2,549 of 2,724
Hi Bloodhawk,
U are using a combined tube setup for the Drivers? Interesting! I have some 6N13S incoming. I do have TS 7236, can they be a good combo?

Nope the CV181 mkii's as drivers and the others as power tubes in this order - 6H13S / 5998 / 6H13S / 5998.

I was using the 7236's as well for a while. And they are almost as good.

Jan 9, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #2,550 of 2,724
Nope the CV181 mkii's as drivers and the others as power tubes in this order - 6H13S / 5998 / 6H13S / 5998.

I was using the 7236's as well for a while. And they are almost as good.
My bad, I got the earlier post wrongly configured. Thanks for the clarification bud.
So, the power tubes are a combo! Never tried that one before, I suppose it’s ok to try.

Can we use Psvane KT 88 Mkii tubes as Drivers? Or power for that matter. Just checking since a quad has come up for sale here. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back