Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Nov 9, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #2,236 of 2,724
This is a bit ... "cryptic".

What is the question ? and why posting here (when already posted in the main MK6/MK8 thread ...) ?

Please I made a mistake
when I saw it comes to improving the amplifier and have been the place where - my mistake.

My question is
one that I have the opportunity to buy second hand with lamps probably just upgraded the amplifier drivers that LD8 -. I have the P-1U + BCL
. Will I feel the difference of heaven and earth tone. I read all posts,
barely came to the conclusion that it might change my amp an experience of listening to the HD800.
Perhaps I do not know well asks the experience of the distinguished members of the site who have a little more experience than mine equipment better than mine

best regards

Nov 9, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #2,237 of 2,724

This is a bit ... "cryptic".

What is the question ? and why posting here (when already posted in the main MK6/MK8 thread ...) ?

Please I made a mistake
when I saw it comes to improving the amplifier and have been the place where - my mistake.

My question is
one that I have the opportunity to buy second hand with lamps probably just upgraded the amplifier drivers that LD8 -. I have the P-1U + BCL
. Will I feel the difference of heaven and earth tone. I read all posts,
barely came to the conclusion that it might change my amp an experience of listening to the HD800.
Perhaps I do not know well asks the experience of the distinguished members of the site who have a little more experience than mine equipment better than mine

best regards

Hi there,

The MK8 is a very good amp in stock form, dedicated to "high impedance" headphones, and more especially the HD800.
So, yes, I'm pretty sure that you'll have a much different listening experience with this OTL/OCL tube amp than with your Solid State amps.

And we tend to believe that if you go the modding route, you'll have an amp that you'll be near to the best listening experience there is, no matter the price.
Obviously, that requires a bit of time and patience, but that's worth it ten times.

Nov 10, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #2,238 of 2,724
Hi there,

The MK8 is a very good amp in stock form, dedicated to "high impedance" headphones, and more especially the HD800.
So, yes, I'm pretty sure that you'll have a much different listening experience with this OTL/OCL tube amp than with your Solid State amps.

And we tend to believe that if you go the modding route, you'll have an amp that you'll be near to the best listening experience there is, no matter the price.
Obviously, that requires a bit of time and patience, but that's worth it ten times.

thank you

Dec 3, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #2,239 of 2,724
Balanced headphones, I'm getting confused. Read up on the basics it's just the different connectors - I have a two 3 pin XLR cable for my Sen HD800's when they arrive, amps seem to have a single four pin XLR on the front. 

What is the standard for balanced headphones, which connector type came first?  I'm probably going to end up connecting my Audiolab MDAC to the amp via the balanced out to the amp's balanced input. Then have the headphones connected to the balanced output at the back with female to female XLR adaptors, which is messy to say the least.

Does using an adaptor degrade the sound, there's probably an adaptor you can turn a two 3 pin XLR into a four pin to plug into the front, isn't there. 

What's best?  

Dec 3, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #2,240 of 2,724
  Balanced headphones, I'm getting confused. Read up on the basics it's just the different connectors - I have a two 3 pin XLR cable for my Sen HD800's when they arrive, amps seem to have a single four pin XLR on the front. 

What is the standard for balanced headphones, which connector type came first?  I'm probably going to end up connecting my Audiolab MDAC to the amp via the balanced out to the amp's balanced input. Then have the headphones connected to the balanced output at the back with female to female XLR adaptors, which is messy to say the least.

Does using an adaptor degrade the sound, there's probably an adaptor you can turn a two 3 pin XLR into a four pin to plug into the front, isn't there. 

What's best?  

I think you should get a 2x3xlr to 4pin xlr converter and connect it to the front.

Dec 3, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #2,241 of 2,724
  I think you should get a 2x3xlr to 4pin xlr converter and connect it to the front.

Thanks, I already have two female to female adaptors so I can test them out on my MDAC, be a while before I can afford another big purchase. There are a couple of Little Dot amps, this and a Little Dot MK VI+ MK6+ Balanced Headphone Amplifier/Pre-Amplifier Black on ebay for £529 which I've been watching. 

Back to working my way through this thread.

Dec 3, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #2,242 of 2,724

Thanks, I already have two female to female adaptors so I can test them out on my MDAC, be a while before I can afford another big purchase. There are a couple of Little Dot amps, this and a Little Dot MK VI+ MK6+ Balanced Headphone Amplifier/Pre-Amplifier Black on ebay for £529 which I've been watching. 

Back to working my way through this thread.

Well tbh I don't actually know how it works to plug the headphones in the output in the back. You might wanna wait for some answers from the others in this thread!

Dec 24, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #2,244 of 2,724

Get yourself a pair of replacement fans- personally I got Noctua 80mm fans, and they're pretty darn quiet. Just make sure to get a fan cable Y splitter as there's just one fan input for the two fans.

I'm not sure if replying to a 1.5 year old post is bad form, but I got my MK VI+ two weeks ago and love everything ... except the fans.  I let my mouse wander over to Amazon looking for Noctua fans and there are several:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=noctua+80mm+fan

Any recommendations as to the best model for the Little Dot MK VI+, whether I need two, and if there are any "gotchas" on replacing and wiring them in?

Thanks!

- Dave

Dec 25, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #2,246 of 2,724

Get yourself a pair of replacement fans- personally I got Noctua 80mm fans, and they're pretty darn quiet. Just make sure to get a fan cable Y splitter as there's just one fan input for the two fans.

I'm not sure if replying to a 1.5 year old post is bad form, but I got my MK VI+ two weeks ago and love everything ... except the fans.  I let my mouse wander over to Amazon looking for Noctua fans and there are several:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=noctua+80mm+fan

Any recommendations as to the best model for the Little Dot MK VI+, whether I need two, and if there are any "gotchas" on replacing and wiring them in?

Thanks!

- Dave

If you don't want to do any modding, these will do the trick: http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-R8-80mm-Fan-2-Pack/dp/B001QYLOA4/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1451034963&sr=8-11&keywords=noctua+80mm+fan
No need to get static pressure fans as you want high airflow, not pressure. You'll also need a 3-pin Y-splitter cable as that quote above suggests.

Dec 25, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #2,247 of 2,724
Get the one with ULN in the name, it has the lowest rpm and is the most quiet according to Noctua's homepage.
I have two Noctua fans in my pc and they really are excellent. Very quiet. But they don't come cheap compared to other fans. Price is worth it though if you value quiet-operating electronics.
Mine came with a so-called Low Noise Adapter cable which when used with the fan makes it even more quiet.
Do remember however that low rpm means less cooling so it is a tradeoff.
You could try with the ULN and see if you think it cools your LD enough and if not, get a Noctua with a higer rpm.

Dec 29, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #2,249 of 2,724
OK, so it's taken me just over two weeks of evenings to get through all 150 pages of replies, but I finally did it <insert fanfare here>.  I appreciate all the time and effort everyone — especially the rock stars of the thread; and you know who you are — put into reading and responding to questions, posting their successes and funny-smelling (or shocking) failures, and providing commentary over the last 61 months.

Along the way, I've collected a wide and varied list of tube-rolling recommendations, specifically in my case, for the MK VI+:

1. 6SL7GT RCA (Driver Tubes) | TubeDepot.com
  2. Tung-Sol 6SL7GT (Driver Tubes) | TubeDepot.com
  3. Tung Sol 6SL7GT Cryo Treated Matched Pair (2) Vacuum Tubes
  4. 6SN7-UK (Driver Tubes) | Psvane & Shuguang Treasure Audio Tubes
  5. CV181-TII aka 6SN7 (Driver Tubes) | Psvane & Shuguang Treasure Audio Tubes
  6. Sophia Electric™ Premium 6SN7 (Driver Tubes)
  7. 6AS7G / 6520 (Power Tubes)| TubeDepot.com
  8. 6N5S (black plate) (Power Tubes) - Tubes-Store.com
  9. Tung Sol 5998 (Power Tubes) | Tubes Unlimited

I'm curious, as a way to reinvigorate this thread while at the same time provide advice to a first-time tube roller, which is the best first driver and power tubes to order?  My current setup consists of balanced LCD-2s and SE HD 650s driven by a balanced DAC (Grace Design m920).  Music tastes vary from female soloists (my favorite) all the way to metal with some pop diversions along the way to keep things interesting.  I can share my Wow! playlist if it'll help, or if there's morbid curiosity.

Thanks for the past, present, and future advice!

- Dave

Dec 30, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #2,250 of 2,724
  OK, so it's taken me just over two weeks of evenings to get through all 150 pages of replies, but I finally did it <insert fanfare here>.  I appreciate all the time and effort everyone — especially the rock stars of the thread; and you know who you are — put into reading and responding to questions, posting their successes and funny-smelling (or shocking) failures, and providing commentary over the last 61 months.

Along the way, I've collected a wide and varied list of tube-rolling recommendations, specifically in my case, for the MK VI+:

1. 6SL7GT RCA (Driver Tubes) | TubeDepot.com
  2. Tung-Sol 6SL7GT (Driver Tubes) | TubeDepot.com
  3. Tung Sol 6SL7GT Cryo Treated Matched Pair (2) Vacuum Tubes
  4. 6SN7-UK (Driver Tubes) | Psvane & Shuguang Treasure Audio Tubes
  5. CV181-TII aka 6SN7 (Driver Tubes) | Psvane & Shuguang Treasure Audio Tubes
  6. Sophia Electric™ Premium 6SN7 (Driver Tubes)
  7. 6AS7G / 6520 (Power Tubes)| TubeDepot.com
  8. 6N5S (black plate) (Power Tubes) - Tubes-Store.com
  9. Tung Sol 5998 (Power Tubes) | Tubes Unlimited

I'm curious, as a way to reinvigorate this thread while at the same time provide advice to a first-time tube roller, which is the best first driver and power tubes to order?  My current setup consists of balanced LCD-2s and SE HD 650s driven by a balanced DAC (Grace Design m920).  Music tastes vary from female soloists (my favorite) all the way to metal with some pop diversions along the way to keep things interesting.  I can share my Wow! playlist if it'll help, or if there's morbid curiosity.

Thanks for the past, present, and future advice!

- Dave

From what I can tell, your DAC doesn't have balanced output, so I guess you're running RCA's to the MK6? I've never tried to run an unbalanced signal to my MK6 but I think you'd benefit to get a DAC with balanced outputs (2x3pin XLR). And I highly suggest to re-terminate your HD650's with a 4pin XLR as well. The MK6 is made to run in balanced mode and the sound difference is huge. You're only using half the amp in SE mode.

As far as tubes go, it depends on how much you're willing to spend and what sound signature you like.
A relatively cheap way to obtain great sound is to get some Chatham 6AS7G/6520's for powers and some Tung-Sol BGRP 6SL7's as drivers. Can't go wrong with those!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back