Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Sep 14, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #2,101 of 2,724
Help..
*snip*

thanks

I will PM you

Edit:
I too performed an almost total upgrade of power supply and the fact is that it was unnecessary..

So We will show exactly what stage to update and the associated benifit to each stage upgrade.

Currently I was performing more testing because we dont have the schematic which would help greatly
as "discovering" the circuits inner workings, is a pain in the @$$ ..

Also, I have decided to upgrade my coupling caps yet again,
As coinmaster cannot be the only one to have all the fun around here...
:wink:

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #2,102 of 2,724
I will PM you

Hi Maxx, can you put me in the loop ?

tll, we'll need some more info :
- a more complete description of each component you replace, and by what, some pictures would be helpful.
- the voltage readings : what is you reference/ground ? same reading for each tube ? AC or CD reading ?

Maybe some readings from the Power PSU, between the two (E) pins and the middle ground (the 2 pins between the 4 white ceramic resistors), same for the 2 (C) pins. 

Sep 14, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #2,107 of 2,724
I'm no electrician but aren't you suppose to follow spec on those power resistors?

No, a 2x derating is perfectly allright. 
Actually, it may even help the heat dissipation (larger contact/convection surface).

And it is far less prone to break from heat stresses.

And those Mills MRA are non-inductive and are far better quality that the usual chinese cr*p.

Sep 14, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #2,108 of 2,724
Also, I have decided to upgrade my coupling caps yet again,
As coinmaster cannot be the only one to have all the fun around here...
wink.gif

At this point, I have better everything than both you and Redge lol.

Also

While pretty, totally unnecessary. 
From here on people should wait until the upgrade thread is released. It should only be around a week or so.
Patience! Do it once and do it right.

In the upgrade thread we will be discussing not only what to upgrade. But also what to change and add as well. It's much better than simply upgrading everything you see.

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #2,109 of 2,724
  At this point, I have better everything than both you and Redge lol.

Jeez, this is gratuitous aggression that will not be left unanswered !

Currently, what you have is some expensive piles of heavy components (or heavy piles of expensive components, your call).

So, when you're done with your extra-design, your wood-plated case, your new cooling systen, your soldering, your extensive testing ... and everything is wqorking ...  maybe we'll talk to you about the "phase 2" upgrades.
atsmile.gif

So ... stop posting, start soldering ! 
deadhorse.gif

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #2,110 of 2,724
No, a 2x derating is perfectly allright. 
Actually, it may even help the heat dissipation (larger contact/convection surface).

And it is far less prone to break from heat stresses.

And those Mills MRA are non-inductive and are far better quality that the usual chinese cr*p.

Ok thats great! I learned something new:)
I went for the Mills mra also but the 5w version.

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #2,111 of 2,724

So ... stop posting, start soldering ! 
deadhorse.gif

I've literally spent countless hours all day and night working on this thing. I've barely slept in days. The only thing I need now is my Cathode bypass caps which still aren't here yet :frowning2: It's just a waiting game at this point.
Believe me, it's driving me mad not being able to do anything to it or even use it. I don't even know if I broke the damn thing!

we'll talk to you about the "phase 2" upgrades. 
atsmile.gif

Oh god...

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #2,112 of 2,724
Hey, I wake up late and miss all the fun?

I also am assuming "tll" problem lies with the control circuit as his driver tube stage has no sound at all before the amp stage kicks in...

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #2,113 of 2,724
I like to know if the bias meters are on 60 or another position..
Edit:
I have to say, that looks like a beautiful job tho

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #2,115 of 2,724
He upgraded the driver tube circuit section of power supply with super jumbo caps..
I woul look there for soldering error..

I myself had a bit of solder touch two points and cause shutdown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back