Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
May 20, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #1,276 of 2,724

I could only use my MKVI+ balanced. The SE output on mine had the hum issue all of the other ones did. It was very prevalent in high sensitivity headphones, but dead quiet on balanced operation.

When it came to the Hifiman HE-6, the only headphone amp I heard it on that could compare to speaker amps was the Liquid Glass. After hearing them on  speakers, headphone amps always seemed weak. 

I mentioned to emotiva a few times that they should make something like that. Their response was usually something like we have a great headphone amplifier built into our DAC! Finally after the mini-x picked up more steam, I posted a thread over on their forums and their top guy said they would look into it. I'm always impressed with their gear (just bought their DC-1 DAC, which I'm really impressed by), so I'll be interested to see what they can put out! 

Haha, the XDA-2 doesn't exactly have the most powerful headphone amp, nor is it desk friendly.
I'm glad they're looking into it, Emotiva could really do some good for the headphone amp market.

May 21, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #1,278 of 2,724
It is usually a bad idea to knock tube amps. I would stop doing it if I was you. 
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #1,279 of 2,724
  It is usually a bad idea to knock tube amps. I would stop doing it if I was you. 
biggrin.gif

lol I was expecting that! It happens when I put my coffee cup down on my desk not when I actually touch the/knock the amp itself. ANY help out there? Yes I have tried contacting LD but because I bought from someone on here rather than direct, I was offered no advice/help. I'm not moaning about that, it's his prerogative. I just want to fix it.

May 25, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #1,282 of 2,724
Two questions.

1. Will the MK VI be fine with some LCD-XCs? Has anyone tried it with either the X or XC?

2. What is the best option for quieting down the fans. I had one that was in the original batch and the fans were really loud. LD sent me replacement fans but they are still louder than id like.

May 25, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #1,283 of 2,724
Two questions.

1. Will the MK VI be fine with some LCD-XCs? Has anyone tried it with either the X or XC?

Haven't personally tried it but I do own a MK VI and a pair of LCD-2 Rev-2s, and I love the combo. The MK VI is great for planar magnetic headphones, with great dynamics/energy. Find the right tube based on your preferred tonality, and you can't really go wrong. I'm dying to try the X on my MK VI though as I suspect that the combo is second to none.

2. What is the best option for quieting down the fans. I had one that was in the original batch and the fans were really loud. LD sent me replacement fans but they are still louder than id like.

Get yourself a pair of replacement fans- personally I got Noctua 80mm fans, and they're pretty darn quiet. Just make sure to get a fan cable Y splitter as there's just one fan input for the two fans.

May 29, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #1,284 of 2,724
Need you guys help. My current headphone is lcd-2 v.2 and my previous amps include woo audio wa6 and schiit mjolner. Sold my woo and replaced it with mjolner. Didn't like the ss sound from the mjolner. Impressive at first, but tiring after awhile. Sold the mjolner and now looking to get into tube amp. My list includes little dot mk6+, bottlehead s.e.x., and decware taboo mk3. How does the little dot stack up to these amps? I am looking for smooth tube sound with great soundstaging. It has to go well with lcd-2.

May 30, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #1,286 of 2,724
Need you guys help. My current headphone is lcd-2 v.2 and my previous amps include woo audio wa6 and schiit mjolner. Sold my woo and replaced it with mjolner. Didn't like the ss sound from the mjolner. Impressive at first, but tiring after awhile. Sold the mjolner and now looking to get into tube amp. My list includes little dot mk6+, bottlehead s.e.x., and decware taboo mk3. How does the little dot stack up to these amps? I am looking for smooth tube sound with great soundstaging. It has to go well with lcd-2.

The LD mkvi would have the smooth clear sound you are after. I haven't heard the Taboo but was looking at this myself for a while but my Miniwatt SET speaker amp has a similar sound to the Taboo SEP amp according to others notably outstanding transparency, lightning fast speed and sharper attack than the LD, but it would be less tubey sounding. Also the SEP amp is the one to get for pinpoint soundstage imaging and I haven't come across another amp which could better it for a sensible cost in my research. Also I would think it would pair well with the LCD2 because it would counteract the slightly darker tendency. That would be what I would go for if I had the money! But I'm happy with my LD.

May 31, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #1,287 of 2,724
The LD mkvi would have the smooth clear sound you are after. I haven't heard the Taboo but was looking at this myself for a while but my Miniwatt SET speaker amp has a similar sound to the Taboo SEP amp according to others notably outstanding transparency, lightning fast speed and sharper attack than the LD, but it would be less tubey sounding. Also the SEP amp is the one to get for pinpoint soundstage imaging and I haven't come across another amp which could better it for a sensible cost in my research. Also I would think it would pair well with the LCD2 because it would counteract the slightly darker tendency. That would be what I would go for if I had the money! But I'm happy with my LD.
Thank you baronbeehive. I am leaning towards the LD. From what I understand the lcd-2 work best with amp that has a lot of power. I think the LD has plenty of that. I am looking for the smooth sound of tube (Woo Audio WA6) and the bass control and attack of the solid state such as the mjolner. I am hoping the LD mk6+ will fit the bill.

May 31, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #1,288 of 2,724
From what I can remember about previous contributors to this thread they have said the LD is better than the Woo, I think the WA6. There is more than enough power for the LD2, indeed there is ample for the HiFiMan HE6 so you will have no problems there. As you already have a bass heavy headphone I think the LD will control it well but some on this thread suggest modifying the LD if you are a real bass head. The leading edge on bass notes is fairly soft on the LD, compared to the Taboo which is reputed to have a very sharp attack, but for me it gives a good relaxing presentation overall. You may want to think about this. Personally if I want a more convincing bass I switch over to my speakers, but I would think the LD>LCD2 combo would work very well. I love it with my HiFiMan HE500's, which have a nice warm, smooth, clear, musical sound when paired with the LD.

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #1,289 of 2,724
I just got my Little Dot setups(MKVIIISE MOD+DACIII+CDPIII) Yesterday, This combo is awesome!!! The MKVIIISE Mod by Sword_Yang definitely worth the money. The detail increased a lot more compare to a MKVIIISE.
So do consider mods if you wanna buy a MKVIII!!!
ZYZ

Jun 4, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #1,290 of 2,724
  I just got my Little Dot setups(MKVIIISE MOD+DACIII+CDPIII) Yesterday, This combo is awesome!!! The MKVIIISE Mod by Sword_Yang definitely worth the money. The detail increased a lot more compare to a MKVIIISE.
So do consider mods if you wanna buy a MKVIII!!!
ZYZ

Pictures please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back