Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Feb 6, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #1,156 of 2,724
Hi Baronbeehive, are your Bendix 6080 tubes the same as the one in the photo below?

I have a set of 4 of these heavy graphite plate tubes, are they as good as the reviews say they are? (I have not got around to putting them in the amp yet) When coupled with The Little Dot MK VI+ how do they perform? 

Feb 6, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #1,157 of 2,724
I have some like that and some with the slot in the plates. Having been lucky with a seller who I asked if he had a set when he was selling one tube, I subsequenly managed to persuade him to see if he could put together any more sets which he did. So it is possible to obtain tubes even when the price is going stratospheric as they were then. I think they are a great all rounder, very detailed and punchy yet smooth, balanced and musical, not sterile or analytical, certainly not laid back either. I love to listen to jazz type drums where you can really hear all the different sounds coming through so clearly from the round bongo sounds to the different metallic sounds of cymbals depending on where the drumstick hits them. Good attack and decay but not overly sharp sounding. I found these tubes really excell at this kind of detail. There are minimal differences between the 2 types with the ones with the slots being slightly more airy possibly.

Feb 6, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #1,158 of 2,724
OK, I tried out the Graphite Plate Bendix tubes and I did find them to be energetic and musical, big on the bass (not as OVER big as the Gold Brand ) but I thought they were a bit to rich in the bass at the expense of loosing some of the very high frequency detail and transparency. 

I have put back the Svetlana 6N5S tubes, they have a good balance of sound, bass that is there without being over emphasised, and amazing high frequency details with a very good mid range. Some people might find them to be to analytical, a bit to revealing, but I like to be somewhat overwhelmed by detail coming at me from every direction, which is what the Svetlana 6N5S do.

Feb 17, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #1,159 of 2,724
In photo 1:
Power Tubes:
Svetlana 6N5S {Military version of 6N13S) made in 1968, bought recently N.O.S. for $15 each. I like these tubes, they sound clean and clear with good instrument separation and big sound-stage.

Hey! I just recieved these from the tube store as you linked. Altho stupid as I am, I forgot to ask for match quads :s Will it work anyway or what do I got to do?

Feb 17, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #1,160 of 2,724
4 X Military spec tubes from one Manufacturer, all with the same date code will usually be very close in electrical values. The Little Dot MK VI+ has Auto-Biasing,( the amp will adjust the voltage fed to the tubes so that all the outputs match )  so small differences in electrical value of the tubes is no problem. Just put the 4 new tubes into the amp and switch it on as usual (with phones connected and volume at zero) and see what the value on the mA gauge is. The two gauges should have almost identical values. Keep the volume at lower levels for the first 30 minutes and do not worry if some crackles and popping can be heard, just the new tube burning in.

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #1,161 of 2,724
Yes the two gauges should have almost identical values otherwise there is a problem and should immediately turn off the amp and investigate the cause. Yes, use the same tube version for the power tubes.

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #1,162 of 2,724
Cheers guys! Will test later :)

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #1,163 of 2,724
Was nothing to worry about :) The dials are on exactly the same spot.

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #1,165 of 2,724
Ah ok, might do that someday :) Cheers! I'm thankful for all the tips I can get :)

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #1,166 of 2,724
Haha my dad was a bit scared when the tubes started to crackle and such!

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #1,167 of 2,724
Ah cool
biggrin.gif
I love the looks of the pro-ject TT

Hi Androb, if you are going to buy a Pro-ject Turntable then look around and ask questions...MAKE SURE YOU GET THE 16 VOLT AC MOTOR...... I got a Debut Carbon from the USA, and it has the 16 Volt AC motor which can be supplied from the Speedbox S,($120 US, 89 GBP) which supplies 16 Volt AC with a stability of 0.001%. The standard model Esprit Turntable will have a 15 Volt DC or an 18 Volt DC motor,and the Speedbox S will not work with that. The Speedbox S will work with any turntable with a 16 Volt AC motor. 

You might want to order a turntable from USA and buy a Speedbox S locally so that it works with your local power supply (I am not sure what voltage etc is supplied in Sweden)

Technical specifications
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit (DC)
Speed
33, 45 (manual speed change)
Drive principle
belt drive
Platter
300mm acrylic platter
Mains bearing
stainless steel
Wow & flutter
+/- 0,10%
Speed drift
+/- 0,80%

Technische Daten
Pro-Ject Speed Box S
INPUT
18V DC
OUTPUT
16 V AC / 190mA (up to 3W max)
SPEED STABILITY
+/- 0,001%

The Speedbox S has speed stability 800 times better than the standard Esprit or Carbon.

Feb 22, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #1,168 of 2,724
Some research suggests that the 'SPEED STABILITY' is almost the same as 'WOW AND FLUTTER' , so the Speedbox S specifications are only 100 times better than the standard Esprit specifications, and not 800 times better like I stated in my last post. But even if the figures were only 10 times better I would pay an extra one or two hundred to get the model with the more stable speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back