Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Dec 3, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #991 of 2,724
Even if it didnt' sucked, it can't compete the balanced out on both quality and sound level...

The SE output is in the front since some months, this summer I think. Before that it has always been on the back.

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #992 of 2,724
Nice! Saving some money for this so that is good news for me :D Really wanted SE output in the front.

Dec 3, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #994 of 2,724
  Why would you buy a balanced amp to use SE output ?
If you want to stay SE, save money on DAC, balanced connectors and tubes... Buy something unbalanced !

Main purpose is balanced, but hey, who says you can't use SE? :wink:
I just like the option that it's there, I aint going to convert all my headphones to balanced so, the SE will be used with some phones. And having that SE output in the back seems a bit annoying.

Dec 3, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #995 of 2,724
Ok. As long as SE output is a tad noisy, being at the back may prevent you from using it :wink:

But once more I see new MK VI+ with front SE output. If nobody confirms this, ask David about that !
You can see the front SE output here http://www.littledot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2524&start=0

Dec 3, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #996 of 2,724
I don't have much room so yea, it's not very good for me. And I got noisy amp atm, but I forget about it while listening to music.

And I did ask David a few min ago about it, since I was already going to ask about some other stuff. Waiting for a reply :)

Dec 3, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #997 of 2,724
It is a buzzing sound, it is connected with just balanced cables, do I need to connect it with RCAs too?
John , have u modded yours at all?

When you disconnect the inputs like your balanced cables on your LD does it still buzz on both channels? You can try just the single ended inputs but do not have both inputs connected. In order to get maximum quality and power on the LD you have to use the balanced outputs, more so on the outputs vs the inputs. Tube amps like the transformer coupled Woo amp WA22 requires that the inputs needs to be balanced for maximum SQ but the single end and balanced outputs are electrically exactly the same as far the amp is concerned.  I did have some tubes that had a small buzz and that was due to AC being used for the tube heater filament. More so for the driver tubes. I am using 7F7 tubes with adapters that are low noise and good SQ. I did re-solder the connections and replaced the fans with Enermax but it is not the only replacement fan to use.   

Dec 3, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #998 of 2,724
Which 7N7 or 7F7 have you been rolling john57 ?
I'm still thinking of making some tube stock, but not willing to pay the premium prices for sought ones...
I've been reading black square plate tall bottle 7N7 sound the best.

And what about 6F8G ?

Dec 3, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #999 of 2,724
I have tried many tubes and do not want the pay the premium prices. Yes I have some 6F8G tubes and they vary quite a bit in SQ and noise levels. I have good success with the JAN RCA 6C8-G tubes which has a bit more gain than the 6F8G and uses the same adapters. Still using the Bendix slotted output tubes.

P.S. Using Raytheon 7F7 tubes from Snowthistle Electronics not sure if he has any more.

Dec 3, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #1,000 of 2,724
  Ok. As long as SE output is a tad noisy, being at the back may prevent you from using it :wink:

But once more I see new MK VI+ with front SE output. If nobody confirms this, ask David about that !
You can see the front SE output here http://www.littledot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2524&start=0

I bought mine in September of this year.  It has the SE output on the front.  The pictures on the LD website are of the original MKVI+.

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #1,001 of 2,724

I bought mine in September of this year.  It has the SE output on the front.  The pictures on the LD website are of the original MKVI+.

Good to know, 

that said. Once again I feel my w1000x needs a good tube. Chances are I'll get this eventually... but for now going to try the Schiit Vali while my w1000x is still SE :3.

After that, I'm off to get my Hm801 Repaired then I want to grab an RSA Sr71B... after those two purchases THEN I'll be ready to grab a balanced tube :D 

Dec 4, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #1,003 of 2,724
  Hi all, I just brought a MK6+ :) .  what tube will you guys recommend for listen to vocal , jazz or  pop??  I am a newbi 

Start burning the provided tubes, they are not that bad, and after that buy yourself a quad of power tubes, for example Sovtek or RCA 6AS7G (nice coke bottle).
After that, you are entering a world of pain by rolling driver tubes...

Dec 4, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #1,004 of 2,724
What's this amp like to use as a preamp?

Also, what driver tubes does everyone recommend to have a clear but very smooth liquid type sound to go with stock Power tubes and maybe 7236s and fully balanced config. with he500 and M-DAC.

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #1,005 of 2,724
The mkvi+ is great as a preamp because it gives much of its superb SQ into the mix. I was using it in a previous setup but watch out that you don't use it as a pre to a direct coupled power amp because any problem with a tube could cause damage to your power amp.

Re: driver tubes, I've said it once and I'll say it again and again, you can't beat Tungsol 6sl7 or 6sn7 round black plate's for smooth, liquid sound as has been said many times in this thread, in fact I'm repeating myself from a couple of posts previously. I also have the HE-500's and am completely happy with the sound. Of course the HE-6's wouldn't go amiss at some point, but the price differential is huge!

Re the SE output, if you have already sensitive cans such as Audio Technica's they will buzz as has been said previously in this thread so in that case you will need to use balanced outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back