Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Mar 29, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #106 of 2,724

Quote:
I thought VIII is more suited for high impedance cans? VI makes some compromise to meet both high and low impedance, while VIII is more high-impedance oriented.

Nope, the VI and VI+ are suited for more power hungry headphones. The VIII is supposed to be more 'refined' but has less driving power but suited better for higher impedance phones. 

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #107 of 2,724
IMHO, VIII is better for the high impedance headphone, like HD600, 650, 800. VI+ has to make conpromise between both high and low impedance, while VIII is devoted to high impedance.

VI+ has to output more power in order to drive the K1000, since it has a relatively low impedance of 120 Ohm. According to the Ohm's Law of P = I^2 R, the output becomes very large for high impedance headphone.

It's not neccessarily true that the higher the output, the better the performance. Therefore, it is reasonable to claim that VIII works better on high impedance 'phone.

Quote:
Nope, the VI and VI+ are suited for higher impedance and more power hungry headphones. The VIII is supposed to be more 'refined' but has less driving power.

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #108 of 2,724

Quote:
IMHO, VIII is better for the high impedance headphone, like HD600, 650, 800. VI+ has to make conpromise between both high and low impedance, while VIII is devoted to high impedance.

VI+ has to output more power in order to drive the K1000, since it has a relatively low impedance of 120 Ohm. According to the Ohm's Law of P = I^2 R, the output becomes very large for high impedance headphone.

It's not neccessarily true that the higher the output, the better the performance. Therefore, it is reasonable to claim that VIII works better on high impedance 'phone.

In that case, yes  :)  Sorry, read over it quickly and thought the discussion was on power and impedance, not making a distinction between the two.

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #109 of 2,724
I have owned little dot mk8se for several months, and I am very satisfied with this beautiful amp. I've compared it with some Chinese DIY amps that uses top quality components and costs much more, and little dot stands very well. It is very balanced, refined, musical, and very revealing. If I have some minor complaints, it has not as much impact compared with Rudistor RP010B. :)
I plan to write more about it if I have some time. And I'd very much to know more about its comparison with some high end tube amps, such as Zana Deux, Emmeline B52, etc.  

May 11, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #114 of 2,724
I'm also very interested/worried to try to get better conclusions on the "hum" and "noise" that comes from mine. I'll make sure to give a full update after I get one. I'll test through all combinations and see where it occurs if it occurs as all. Also, I've got power conditioners, so I'll see if electricity has anything to do with it as well.

May 12, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #115 of 2,724
When I still had my VI, I fixed the transformer hum by adding a AC filter.

Quote:
I'm also very interested/worried to try to get better conclusions on the "hum" and "noise" that comes from mine. I'll make sure to give a full update after I get one. I'll test through all combinations and see where it occurs if it occurs as all. Also, I've got power conditioners, so I'll see if electricity has anything to do with it as well.

May 28, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #116 of 2,724

I just received my unit yesterday, and I'm thoroughly impressed to say the least. I'm certainly excited to see how this guy turns out after a little more intensive burn in. Out of the box sounds really good on its own. The sound signature sounds a little more like a solid state than a tube amp though. It's very clear, and detailed. Only major difference is the huge soundstage I'm getting.

May 29, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #117 of 2,724
Elwappo99, 

Is that with the stock tubes? Let it break in. If my experience is any guide with these, you have some great listening times ahead of you. Enjoy, my friend. 

And please let us know how it goes with your impressive collection of headphones. I only briefly tried the VI with the HE-6 at a meet-up, but I did recall thinking that it might benefit from the high gain setting. Sadly didn't have a chance to try it. Maybe I will find someone with HE-6s around Chicago, who'd care to explore the combo...

May 29, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #118 of 2,724
Glad to hear that you're enjoying it, you're in for a treat once the 6080 tubes burn in. This amp is one of the most unterrated amps around Head-Fi like I mentioned many times before.

Quote:
Quote:

I just received my unit yesterday, and I'm thoroughly impressed to say the least. I'm certainly excited to see how this guy turns out after a little more intensive burn in. Out of the box sounds really good on its own. The sound signature sounds a little more like a solid state than a tube amp though. It's very clear, and detailed. Only major difference is the huge soundstage I'm getting.

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #119 of 2,724

Quote:
I have some Full Music 6SN7 (Sophia Electric) on the way though. And yeah, this amp really makes the T1 shine.

You mean these, how did you like them?

I have been wondering how they compare to the Shuggie Treasure 6SN7s.

Has anyone tried both, I would love to hear about it
smile.gif

Oct 1, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #120 of 2,724
Ordering mine this weekend, before the agonizing 3-5 week wait :frowning2: Looking forward to comparing this against my lyr and wa5 with the LCD 2.2s, K701s and Dt 880s. Btw, roughly how long did it take for you guys units to ship? Is the 3-5 week estimate accurate or a worse case scenario?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back