Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Nov 14, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #2,656 of 2,724
For the MK8, I did and still have some elusive 6n30p-dr output tubes, and while it's true it has the clarity and resolve, I do feel it's not necessary, if you mod the amp and use the Sovtek alone.
:)

Nov 15, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #2,657 of 2,724
For the MK8, I did and still have some elusive 6n30p-dr output tubes, and while it's true it has the clarity and resolve, I do feel it's not necessary, if you mod the amp and use the Sovtek alone.

I agree. Same reason I don't feel the need for anything exotic for power tubes on the MKVi, other than the "bog standard" RCA's, the amp is soooo good modded!
:).

Nov 15, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #2,658 of 2,724
For the driver stage, I would only look into NOS tubes.
The new ones no matter which, look good but they like to have higher or optimal bias to work clearly...

...and even then they are not as good generally...

The NOS tubes are clear at any bias, and this amp has a NOTORIOUSLY LOW BIAS POINT, to the point of being NOT IN THE LINEAR RANGE.
Very low biased!

I feel this is partly why the sound signature of the LD is so sweet. I've said before it would be interesting to test those lower grid regions for the bias point to see what the differences are. Some distortion freaks might really love it!

The reason is that left tube acts as the sonically prominent tube, Is that it is pushing the positive(+half) of the signal.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but regardless, that is the socket(left) which sets the sound for that channel.

You must use the clearest, fastest, least thick tube for that socket, or else a thicker tube would color the sound more..
With this set-up, you combine the best traits of both tubes.
You get the speed, clarity, and the bass thickness all combined.
Remember to ONLY mix tube brands, NOT tube model numbers!
All four power tubes must of same model number!

I am assuming the same phenomena occurs with the MK6 amp as well, yet while you can mix tube brands, you cannot mix tube model numbers, and the MK6 has alot more choices in output tubes so just remember they must all be of same model number type.

Strange how this was discovered, I think by SoundEngineer ages ago, probably by mistake! I did try this with RCA's and another type but I think the two types were too similar to notice any difference.

Soeone also tried mixing 6AS7G's and 421A's I seem to remember.

Nov 15, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #2,659 of 2,724
Re: the QC problems, I have emailed LD at the China website and had no response. I've also emailed the American website, I will let you know if they are any help.

@Yaska729 would you or anyone be able to post about this on Facebook, I can't as I'm not on it but that would reach quite a few people and might get a response.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #2,660 of 2,724
Soeone also tried mixing 6AS7G's and 421A's I seem to remember
I don't recommend mixing tube types, only different brands within same model numbers...
That incident I believe was a mistake.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #2,661 of 2,724
Re: the QC issue that has been concerning members here recently. I've been in touch with the official contact for Little Dot on the https://littledotus.com/ website, the official distributor for the N. America region. He has been most friendly and helpful. He is aware of the QC issue affecting some distributors and is taking steps to make sure it doesn't happen there.

He said "we are taking this pretty seriously, and started last week, we actually increase the testing time from 24 hours to 120 hours, for every single unit that goes out of our factory."

He also said that to ask the customer to share the cost, of putting things right should never happen within the initial three months period.

This appears to resolve the issues some have been having!

So people should think carefully when purchasing Little Dot products. If they deal through the official Little Dot sites at the above, or littledot.net in China they should also be able to contact Little Dot for help to resolve any issues.

I did contact the China website with no response, but as the site has only recently been up and running again perhaps they haven't got things together properly yet!

Nov 24, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #2,662 of 2,724
I picked up a second hand Little Dot mk VI+ from Ebay last month.

It had nasty transformer hum/buzz, which surprisingly was eliminated pretty much entirely by removing the transformer covers. Some people had similar problems earlier in the thread, but had had problems removing the covers due to the screws being installed so close to the raised part of the capacitor cover. I managed to unscrew them by first using a small flat head screwdriver at an angle to the Philips-head screws and then using pliers to do the last few spins.

So the hum/buzz issues that some have had seems to be due to the toroidial transformers' magnetic effects moving the covers.

Now I've been considering what to do next: try to install some damping material for the covers and put them back, find some different covers of another non-magnetic material, or just leave them unattached. Any tips will be welcome.

The screwdriver I used had head size of about 3mm x 0,5-0,7mm. The only text on it says "Made in West Germany" so it's probably not a current model.

Are there any recommendations for quiet replacement fans? I think I'll need to have them on in the summer.

WOW THANK YOU I DID IT AS YOU SAY WOW ........ There was a buzzing buzzing so loud you could not listen to the music
Thank you very much ... I really disassembled it was especially hard with the internal screws
Almost complete silence NOW
I put these also reduces noise
Now it remains to take care of the fans
20201124_115655.jpg
IMG-20201124-WA0001.jpg

Attachments

• 20201122_002134.jpg
    20201122_002134.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201122_002227.jpg
    20201122_002227.jpg
    461 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201122_002234.jpg
    20201122_002234.jpg
    458.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201122_002259.jpg
    20201122_002259.jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201124_115605.jpg
    20201124_115605.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201124_115625.jpg
    20201124_115625.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201124_115720.jpg
    20201124_115720.jpg
    745.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20201124-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20201124-WA0003.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20201124-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20201124-WA0005.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #2,664 of 2,724
is this good with eikon and atticus? anyone trief? thx in advance
I use it with my Auteur and it sound amazing, However I’m trying to sell mine simply because I don’t get much listening time while at home.

Dec 13, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #2,665 of 2,724
I use it with my Auteur and it sound amazing, However I’m trying to sell mine simply because I don’t get much listening time while at home.

good to know, thx. found a deal on one locally im interested in

Jan 6, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #2,666 of 2,724
Hello, fairly new to the tube amp world as I've just been exposed to solid states. I was thinking of acquiring one.. what is the difference between the MK8 and the MK6+? Primarily my question is is it good for the HD800S? The MK6+ is cheaper.. Wondering if I should get this instead of a Topping A90.. Any help would be appreciated, thanks..

Jan 7, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #2,667 of 2,724
Hello, fairly new to the tube amp world as I've just been exposed to solid states. I was thinking of acquiring one.. what is the difference between the MK8 and the MK6+? Primarily my question is is it good for the HD800S? The MK6+ is cheaper.. Wondering if I should get this instead of a Topping A90.. Any help would be appreciated, thanks..

Hi buencamino! I have the MKVi+ it has enough brute power for low impedance headphones such as my planars, the HE-500. If you are mainly using the amp for high impedance headphones such as the HD800S, which incidently I wouldn't mind trying myself, I would go for the MK8 because that is what it is specifically designed for.

I think you will find that a good tube amp such as the LD will really bring out the best in the HD800S, Sennheisers need to be well amped and tubes bring an extra quality to their SQ.

I don't know if you read the previous posts but be careful who you buy from!

Jan 7, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #2,669 of 2,724
Hi buencamino! I have the MKVi+ it has enough brute power for low impedance headphones such as my planars, the HE-500. If you are mainly using the amp for high impedance headphones such as the HD800S, which incidently I wouldn't mind trying myself, I would go for the MK8 because that is what it is specifically designed for.

I think you will find that a good tube amp such as the LD will really bring out the best in the HD800S, Sennheisers need to be well amped and tubes bring an extra quality to their SQ.

I don't know if you read the previous posts but be careful who you buy from!
I highly recommend staying away from Shenzhen Audio, shipping and warranty claims can take up to 3 months. Apos is seems to be fine with 2-7 day shipping warranty exchange, and with the extra year of coverage it’s kind of obvious if you are going to buy it and not swap the tubes out, go for Apos.

Jan 22, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #2,670 of 2,724
Hello,
I am planning to buy the Little Dot Mk VI + with full upgrade,with Mundorf stuff silver solder plus the Mullard tubes Ect..
On the site to buy https://littledotus.com/?product=mk-vi

Has anyone done the upgrade and can report back?
Furthermore, I keep reading that some people have problems with the power supply, but the articles are a bit older.
I wrote to the manufacturer and he said it depends on the mains.
I assume that I don't expect any problems in Germany.

Nevertheless, I am a bit worried about the power supply story.
Because I'm not interested in investing additional money later for a "better" power supply, if then rather a few tubes.
I also know that the small one has been on the market for a long time and maybe after years one or the other problem has been fixed, like the fans and so on.
Or is the power supply issue still there?

I am also aware that tube amplifiers generally hum a bit.
But I don't want to have to turn up the volume so high to drown it out, if it's that bad.
I have two other tube amplifiers in mind, but they are 2-3 times as expensive.

It would be great if someone could give me an update.
As many posts are old and not up to date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back