Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
May 4, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #2,296 of 2,726
So I bit the bullet, and purchased both the '
6SN7 Octal socket​
spacer pair', that  ViperGeek suggested, as well as a 'Matched Pair Psvane CV181-T Mark II Vacuum Tube New Premium Grade Treasure Tubes'... both from suzier.inc

Hopefully they, and the match quad set of NOS RCA 6AS7G tubes arrive quickly :)

Thank again ViperGeek!

I'll post some feedback on their performance, after some burn-in time.

May 4, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #2,297 of 2,726
  So I bit the bullet, and purchased both the '
6SN7 Octal socket​
spacer pair', that  ViperGeek suggested, as well as a 'Matched Pair Psvane CV181-T Mark II Vacuum Tube New Premium Grade Treasure Tubes'... both from suzier.inc

Hopefully they, and the match quad set of NOS RCA 6AS7G tubes arrive quickly :)

Thank again ViperGeek!

I'll post some feedback on their performance, after some burn-in time.

Wow.  You went all in!  Congratulations.

Keep us posted on your opinions, especially after burn-in.  As you probably read, the CV181 series takes quite a few hours to fully burn in (some say 100 hours), but that's part of the fun.  I think your 6AS7G's will really mellow out your HD800s and the CV181-T's will add clarity and authority without harshness that only a high powered balanced tube amp can deliver.

- Dave

May 9, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #2,298 of 2,726
The Psvane CV181-T Mark II's arrived today... Still have need time to burn-in, but I can say that the bass is a lot harder & faster :)

Didn't seem to need the socket-spacers.. fitted in great

Highly anticipating the arrival of the quad matched NOS RCA 6AS7G set...

May 9, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #2,299 of 2,726
  The Psvane CV181-T Mark II's arrived today... Still have need time to burn-in, but I can say that the bass is a lot harder & faster :)

Gorgeous tubes.  I'm glad you like the sound.  They'll probably get slightly worse, then over time, much, much better.  Enjoy!

Didn't seem to need the socket-spacers.. fitted in great

Ah, yes.  Sorry about the confusion.  The CV181-Z driver tubes I purchased state:

"The tube base is made of ceramic which is 3.5cm (about 1 3/8″) in diameter; slightly larger than an average 6SN7 tube base."

which is why I needed the tube savers.  The higher end CV181-T Mk II have a standard base that fits in the Little Dot MK VI+ just fine.

Perhaps they'll come in handy in the future as you roll different driver tubes.  The sickness of being a tube amp owner is that we're never satisfied with only one set of tubes.  There's always a better (or different sounding) tube just over the horizon. 
biggrin.gif

- Dave

Aug 3, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #2,301 of 2,726

I am excited about a new owner of the Little Dot mkvi+ and I would like some advice from you for the valves change, since you own it for years. for driver told me to buy the PSVANE 181 tii but for the power tubes what do you recommend? I am waiting for your valuable advice

Aug 3, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #2,302 of 2,726
I am excited about a new owner of the Little Dot and I would like some advice from you for the valves change, since you own it for years. for driver told me to buy the PSVANE 181 tii but for the power tubes what do you recommend? I am waiting for your valuable advice

Aug 8, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #2,303 of 2,726
I am excited about a new owner of the Little Dot and I would like some advice from you for the valves change, since you own it for years. for driver told me to buy the PSVANE 181 tii but for the power tubes what do you recommend? I am waiting for your valuable advice

Ask / PM member SonicTrance.

PSVANE is very pretty, but it is new production , not "new Old Stock (NOS).
Generally NOS is best way to go.
Tube manufacturers in 50s & 60s were the absolute best.
Many manufacturing secrets died with the companies, and generally speaking, most today new stock is good, but not superior to old stock.

I have similar New production tube types like these :

As they are easy to find and nice,
Whith a full midrange,
But depending what tonality you want,
Old stock can be cheaper and better, particularly the Silvana 6sn7 types, which are generally brighter.

But for power tubes, actually just read back a few pages.

So personally,
I would not buy the PSVANE right away, although it is probably better now, costs still a bit expensive at about 200 new.

I would try used old stock at lower pricess so you can "tube roll" to see which you prefer...

Aug 11, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #2,305 of 2,726
I have modified mk8 which now use mk6 driver and mk8 power tubes,
So I cannot comment about mk6 setup but try read this thread I remember slot of good posts here

Aug 21, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #2,307 of 2,726
Does the MK VI+ balanced HP amp convert SE input to balanced output or is it balanced only on the balanced input.

Yes it does have SE input check out little dot. Website.

Aug 21, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #2,308 of 2,726
I just picked up a used MK VI+ and with the stock tubes it came with I think it definitely has potential. However, when I turn the volume knob past the 9'oclock position without anything playing I can hear a bit of hum. Is this normal? Or could it be tube related or maybe something with my source component?

Aug 21, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #2,309 of 2,726
I would like to ask a question from "profane". 2 v meters on the little dot used to measure the bias, right? Now, if both the top I marked 60-62, the left one begins to flicker even down to 30 and then up or falling back, depending on how the turns ... I tried to reverse the valves, both those of power that driver, but to no avail. The v Left meters it's not clear how it works. in audio level not known differences between the two channels. what can it be? thank you and good Sunday .. P.S tubes currently used are 4 Raytheon 6AS7G and 2 RCA red plate 5691,,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back