Little Dot MK III: An Exclusive Review (56k warning!)
Apr 13, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #121 of 132
I'm concerned about this:

"... Comparing to the LD2+/++, the mids were not as liquid-like and vocals were not as intimate..."

I'm in LOVE with my recently acquired Little Dot II++, which I've also started to use as a preamp in my living room setup.

Was thinking of picking up an LD Mk III for bedside use (so I don't have to keep dragging the II++ back and forth), but I'm very concerned about this loss of liquid-like mids and vocal intimacy, compared to the II++. (The review later states the vocal intimacy returned with a better source, but what about the mids? Are there certain tube rolling combos that help make the III more like a II+ and bring these qualities back?)

In addition to the liquid-mids/vocal intimacy loss, it seems in general, the III is a less tube-y sounding amp than the II++? Is it that drastically different than the II++, which again, I love?

Or is it similar in tubey-ness to a II++, but better?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #122 of 132
I also have the LD MKIII, loving it for its price.

But I dont understand why you claim the soundstage is enormous, it's to my experience only a bit wider than without.
I use it with the LD DAC1 and HD650.

Sep 22, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #123 of 132
The Russian Groove Tubes are really nice sounding on this amp. Decent price too. I didn't think the amp sounded that great with the K70x.

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #124 of 132
I got my LD mk III 7 days ago and i love the sound of it.
First 3 days i've listened to it i was  disapointed how i need to turned the volume knob  up to 80 mark just to have a comfortable listening level.
Then i tried burning it in for 4 days,i leaved it on for 8 hours then turned it  off .leaved it off for few hours then turn it back on for another 8 hours i did these for 4 days.
Today i decided to start listening to it again and i noticed that as soon as i turned the volume knob it play louder than before i set it to 40 mark and it's loud enough for me.
Is these normal?

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #125 of 132
  I got my LD mk III 7 days ago and i love the sound of it.
First 3 days i've listened to it i was  disapointed how i need to turned the volume knob  up to 80 mark just to have a comfortable listening level.
Then i tried burning it in for 4 days,i leaved it on for 8 hours then turned it  off .leaved it off for few hours then turn it back on for another 8 hours i did these for 4 days.
Today i decided to start listening to it again and i noticed that as soon as i turned the volume knob it play louder than before i set it to 40 mark and it's loud enough for me.
Is these normal?

This almost certainly has to do with the tubes. Perhaps some of the tubes settled in after your extensive burn in. Unlikely that the gain would change by itself. The 2 tubes in the back, the power tubes are responsible for the gain. One or both require burn in to output properly? A little unusual I think. It's an otl amp, so the gain is all about the tubes (unless the pot was faulty which is not very likely).

Sep 16, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #126 of 132

This almost certainly has to do with the tubes. Perhaps some of the tubes settled in after your extensive burn in. Unlikely that the gain would change by itself. The 2 tubes in the back, the power tubes are responsible for the gain. One or both require burn in to output properly? A little unusual I think. It's an otl amp, so the gain is all about the tubes (unless the pot was faulty which is not very likely).

yup i know it's weird but hey after that burn in it works like a charm.i don't think if the pot is faulty  now it can get really loud.i love the sound stage when i turn it loud.regarding the gain switch which setting is best for you?

Sep 16, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #127 of 132

yup i know it's weird but hey after that burn in it works like a charm.i don't think if the pot is faulty  now it can get really loud.i love the sound stage when i turn it loud.regarding the gain switch which setting is best for you?

I have a bit of a problem in that I use both high (HD600) impedance and low (Grado325i) impedance phones, but I have found that 5 works really well for both. I tried them all and this seems to work the best.

Feb 8, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #129 of 132
What type of tubes does the Little Dot MKIII use?

Feb 8, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #130 of 132
I'm concerned about this:

"... Comparing to the LD2+/++, the mids were not as liquid-like and vocals were not as intimate..."

I'm in LOVE with my recently acquired Little Dot II++, which I've also started to use as a preamp in my living room setup.

Was thinking of picking up an LD Mk III for bedside use (so I don't have to keep dragging the II++ back and forth), but I'm very concerned about this loss of liquid-like mids and vocal intimacy, compared to the II++. (The review later states the vocal intimacy returned with a better source, but what about the mids? Are there certain tube rolling combos that help make the III more like a II+ and bring these qualities back?)

In addition to the liquid-mids/vocal intimacy loss, it seems in general, the III is a less tube-y sounding amp than the II++? Is it that drastically different than the II++, which again, I love?

Or is it similar in tubey-ness to a II++, but better?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
smily_headphones1.gif
Ha, wow, seeing this post of mine some 13 years later is funny. I had nothing to worry about and ended up loving the Mk III, still have it and use it all the time.

Love it with my Rega Planar 3 and HD600.

Feb 8, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #131 of 132
Ha, wow, seeing this post of mine some 13 years later is funny. I had nothing to worry about and ended up loving the Mk III, still have it and use it all the time.

Love it with my Rega Planar 3 and HD600.
So, what kind of tubes does it use? I just bought the MKIII for $259. Nice deal right? I am already tube rolling.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back