Little Dot MK 9 - Has anyone tried it?
Oct 30, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #31 of 370
Any further updates or experience of the MK9? I was considering replacing a Matrix M with one, to be used as more a pre amp for a valve amp. The Matrix M is doing a goog dual role but wish to try an all vavle setup. But only if its a noticeable set up.

Jan 6, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #32 of 370
Has anyone tried to change gain? Are there switches like the IV?

David hasn't posted a manual yet

There are switches on the bottom hard to see/reach but you can change the gain (which is set to low by default) through them.

The mk 9 is a really great amp, I've changed/tried many tubes on it and every time I found it perfoming just great, don't think anything in this price range can perform as good. No hum, cracks or pops whatsoever.
I currently run it with 2 TungSol 5998 (domino plates) and an RCA 5691 (red base/black plate). Expensive tubes but the result is fantastic on both my Grado RS225i and GS1000e even when driven in parallel.

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #33 of 370
As the title says; does anyone have any experience with the Little Dot MK9? Looks like a versatile amp.

OK, I have read most of the posts regarding this amp. I bought mine for about $500 expecting a very good, but not perfect amp. I am in love with HiFiMan phones, starting with HE-400s, recently graduating to HE-560s ( Christmas present to myself ).
Build quality is very good, I wish I could say the same thing about the documentation ! Well, being an Electrical Engineer has its benefits for an inquisitive audiophile. Here is what I learned, followed by my listening impressions, pre and post mod.

1) First off the stock Chinese/French tubes have got to go ! I went with a pair of NOS ST shape RCA 6AS7Gs for the outputs and a NOS Slyvania 6SL7GT chrome top for the input tube.

2) The HiFiMan cans are 35 ohm impedance, hard to drive and right near the lower limit of what the amp can drive. When driven from the std analog output of a CD player there just wasn't enough volume from the LD MK9 for me, I had the volume control turned all the way up !

3) I put the amp on the test bench and confirmed on the oscilloscope what I had heard in the phones. With the voltage level coming from the CD player the output from the amp was no where near its maximum level.

4) So the amp needed to come apart to see what was going on in there. (PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THE AMP APART UNLESS YOU ARE A CERTIFIED REPAIR TECHNICIAN AND HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH TUBE AMPLIFIERS, POTENTIAL LETHAL VOLTAGES ARE PRESENT!) This is where the men get separated from the boys, there is no bottom cover on this amp ! The chassis is made of a one piece flattened tubular extrusion. You have to remove the front and back panels, then try to slide out the PC board. Problem is there a gaggle of wires attached between the PC board and the power transformer. I didn't want to have to unsolder all these wires, so after wrestling with the board for 15 minutes I finally figured out how to get the board out far enough to get a good look.

5) I discovered two small red gain switches (one for each of the L and R channels). They were set for "low", this explained the low volume. I switched both channels to "hi" and things got a lot better! Turns out that you can access these switches through the oblong cooling holes in the bottom of the amp! Now the CD output was driving the phones to an acceptable level, but I wanted more !

6) I increased the bias in the output tubes by about 25% and was able to get another 100 MW of output power into the 35 ohm impedance of the HiFiMan phones.

7) Last remaining issue was still not enough gain. To take advantage of the extra output power I needed more input. I solved this by finally going digital with music source. Now running JRiver s/w on my laptop, USB out into a Raccoon tube hybrid SG300 DAC preamp/headphone amp (available on eBay for $149). The level of the Raccoon preamp section output adjusts with its volume control. When I hit the LD MK9 with about 4 volts peak (CD output is about 2 volts peak) I get the volume I desired, now I run the LD MK9 with the volume control at half way and it plays LOUD, with plenty left for those songs recorded at lower volume.

What I heard with LD MK9 stock (as delivered) running from CD player:
Good sound quality, but not nearly enough volume with just so-so clarity/resolution.

What I heard after setting gain switches to "hi" (still original tubes, from CD player)
Now I had enough volume for the HiFiMan HE-560s to come alive !

What I heard after installing NOS American tubes ( still CD player )
The slight midrange harshness gone, deeper bass, more extension on the top end too, and more clarity& detail. Plays slightly louder at same position on volume control.

What I heard after increasing the bias in the output tubes, laptop running JRiver s/w, Racoon USB DAC with DanaCable USB cable driving the LD MK9 amp, DanaCable headphone cable for HiFiMan phones.
In a word sumptuous, full bodied, imaging to die for, everything I could have hoped for ! My wife even called it addictive, said if she kept the phones on she wouldn't be able to get anything done all day ! One of my favorite tracks to listen to now is BS&T's "Spinning Wheel", the horns never sounded so vibrant and real. David Clayton Thomas never sounded so real and alive, I'm HOOKED !
Be sure to get hold of me if you have any questions or comments.

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #34 of 370
OK, I have read most of the posts regarding this amp. I bought mine for about $500 expecting a very good, but not perfect amp. I am in love with HiFiMan phones, starting with HE-400s, recently graduating to HE-560s ( Christmas present to myself ).
Build quality is very good, I wish I could say the same thing about the documentation ! Well, being an Electrical Engineer has its benefits for an inquisitive audiophile. Here is what I learned, followed by my listening impressions, pre and post mod.

1) First off the stock Chinese/French tubes have got to go ! I went with a pair of NOS ST shape RCA 6AS7Gs for the outputs and a NOS Slyvania 6SL7GT chrome top for the input tube.

2) The HiFiMan cans are 35 ohm impedance, hard to drive and right near the lower limit of what the amp can drive. When driven from the std analog output of a CD player there just wasn't enough volume from the LD MK9 for me, I had the volume control turned all the way up !

3) I put the amp on the test bench and confirmed on the oscilloscope what I had heard in the phones. With the voltage level coming from the CD player the output from the amp was no where near its maximum level.

4) So the amp needed to come apart to see what was going on in there. (PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THE AMP APART UNLESS YOU ARE A CERTIFIED REPAIR TECHNICIAN AND HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH TUBE AMPLIFIERS, POTENTIAL LETHAL VOLTAGES ARE PRESENT!) This is where the men get separated from the boys, there is no bottom cover on this amp ! The chassis is made of a one piece flattened tubular extrusion. You have to remove the front and back panels, then try to slide out the PC board. Problem is there a gaggle of wires attached between the PC board and the power transformer. I didn't want to have to unsolder all these wires, so after wrestling with the board for 15 minutes I finally figured out how to get the board out far enough to get a good look.

5) I discovered two small red gain switches (one for each of the L and R channels). They were set for "low", this explained the low volume. I switched both channels to "hi" and things got a lot better! Turns out that you can access these switches through the oblong cooling holes in the bottom of the amp! Now the CD output was driving the phones to an acceptable level, but I wanted more !

6) I increased the bias in the output tubes by about 25% and was able to get another 100 MW of output power into the 35 ohm impedance of the HiFiMan phones.

7) Last remaining issue was still not enough gain. To take advantage of the extra output power I needed more input. I solved this by finally going digital with music source. Now running JRiver s/w on my laptop, USB out into a Raccoon tube hybrid SG300 DAC preamp/headphone amp (available on eBay for $149). The level of the Raccoon preamp section output adjusts with its volume control. When I hit the LD MK9 with about 4 volts peak (CD output is about 2 volts peak) I get the volume I desired, now I run the LD MK9 with the volume control at half way and it plays LOUD, with plenty left for those songs recorded at lower volume.

Good sound quality, but not nearly enough volume with just so-so clarity/resolution.

What I heard after setting gain switches to "hi" (still original tubes, from CD player)

The slight midrange harshness gone, deeper bass, more extension on the top end too, and more clarity& detail. Plays slightly louder at same position on volume control.

What I heard after increasing the bias in the output tubes, laptop running JRiver s/w, Racoon USB DAC with DanaCable USB cable driving the LD MK9 amp, DanaCable headphone cable for HiFiMan phones.
In a word sumptuous, full bodied, imaging to die for, everything I could have hoped for ! My wife even called it addictive, said if she kept the phones on she wouldn't be able to get anything done all day ! One of my favorite tracks to listen to now is BS&T's "Spinning Wheel", the horns never sounded so vibrant and real. David Clayton Thomas never sounded so real and alive, I'm HOOKED !

thanks for your impressions !
i'm currently considering  this amp and just not too much information is out there

Mar 14, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #35 of 370

THAT's A GOOD COMMENT

Mar 17, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #36 of 370

Thank you for your impressions! I have an LD MK III (with NOS Raytheon drivers) that I use as a preamp. It sounds great, but I'm considering replacing it with the LD MK 9 because my amp is direct coupled (discouraged combination with the MK III). Did you try other tubes, apart from the ones mentioned in your post?

Jun 8, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #37 of 370
As mentioned in my post above, I purchased a Little Dot Mk 9 to use it primarily as a preamp, feeding my Music Reference RM-200 (hybrid tube) amp through a DSPeaker Dual Core DSP unit, mainly as a result of my positive experience with the Little Dot Mk III, which in turn took over preamp duties from a Benchmark DAC2.

The Little Dot Mk III had resulted in a marked improvement over the Benchmark which is very transparent but also sounds a bit analytical. I was startled, when I tried the Mk III as a preamp, by the significantly more lifelike sound. As I listen primarily to classical and jazz, timbres of acoustic instruments and voices are particularly important to me, and the Mk III yielded more accurate timbres across the board. But because my amp is direct-coupled, the Mk III was not a recommended long-term proposition, as any DC offset would be amplified by the amp and could potentially fry my martin Logan SL3 speakers.

The Little Dot Mk 9, however, can safely be used with a direct-coupled amp, so that is what I got.

Compared with the MK III, the Mk 9 sounds just slightly more refined, but otherwise has the same sonic effect as the Mk III. Overall, it beats any preamps I had in my system by a long stretch -- and that includes the Benchmark, an Adcom GFP-750, a Conrad-Johnson Motif, and the DSPeaker Dual Core, some of which cost 7 times as much as the Mk 9.

I did change the OEM tubes: For a driver, I installed a balanced NOS SL7WGT and for power two NOS 6AS7G, all from Tube Depot. They are very quiet and correct the somewhat overripe bass I heard with the OEM tubes.

In my system, the Little Dot Mk 9 has made a terrific improvement for a very reasonable price. Shipment from the manufacturer was very fast, less than 3 days from  HK to San Francisco, and it was very well packaged.

Guido F.

Jul 31, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #39 of 370
I just ordered my little dot Mk9 and waiting for arrival.  According to David @ little dot, the Mk9 should supply enough juice to power your headphones.  I have the Senn HD600, also 300ohm like HD800.  According to the specs on the little dot site, the Mk9 outputs 300mw to 300/600ohm headphones.  Compared to the little dot Mk3 which outputs  350mw to 300/600ohm phones, you are losing 50mw with the Mk9.  However, reviews for the Mk3 state that they drive the 300ohm Senn headphones very well, and from the previous posts here, it does sound like there will be some gain switches on the Mk9.  So you should be fine with the Mk9 and your HD800's.  I'll report back with an update, once my Mk9 arrives, but my understanding from others reviews is that the little dot products sound very good with the Sennheisers, not so much with Beyers.

Jul 31, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #41 of 370
But regardless, whether or not your phones will sound good will depend on several things.  1) Your source file.  FLAC will have better audio quality than an MP3.  2)  Your source feeding the preamp.  A dedicated sound card will provide better sound quality than your laptop or PC motherboards built in speaker out.  3) the tubes on the preamp.  Some tubes are better with bass, some are better with highs.  While reading reviews will be helpful in selecting the tubes, whether you will like a certain set of tubes depends largely on how you like your music to sound, and what music you like.  Some amount of experimentation will be necessary in this area.   

Jul 31, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #42 of 370
I had the same problem finding reviews for the Mk9.  I spent weeks scouring the web with no luck.  You might find these reviews helpful if you haven't already read them.  http://www.littledot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2895&p=8639&hilit=review&sid=7b75542662b8931c7e0127265614b61b#p8639
I was originally interested in getting the Mk4se, but I also wanted to use it as a preamp to my parasound power amp to bose 901 speakers.  I had to switch to the Mk9 because the Mk3 and Mk4's should not be connected to a dc coupled amp as doing so can blow your speakers.  Which, would be very unacceptable.  

Jul 31, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #43 of 370
I had the same problem finding info.  Spent weeks on the hunt.  There is a decent review on the little dot forum you can check out.  For me, i chose the Mk9 as the Mk4 and previous models should not be connected to dc coupled amps.  Doing so could blow your speakers or amp.  Having a pair of Bose 901 floor standing connected to a Parasound multi channel amp, this danger was an unacceptable risk. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back