Little Dot MK 9 - Has anyone tried it?
May 10, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #211 of 369
Look, Ma!! One finger on the 6080 that has been running for hours…

6388C7D6-C456-4621-A407-F9890A234CE0.jpeg

Don’t try this at home kids, we don’t want ya to get hurt…

May 10, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #214 of 369
May 10, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #215 of 369
Coldfinger
LOL good one :wink:

This is one heck of a 'sleeper' amp. Sounds really really great. The only tube amp I have ever owned that sounds better to me, than my best SS amp. The tiny details are not lost to 'tube swamp' and the added bass, stage, depth and "illusion of real" that tubes usually bring, are here.

Could be the amp/Aeolus pairing but it is totally addictive. Exceeds my expectations by miles.

Just have to make amends for the 'hot tater' 6080's.

Also like the fact that it is NOT a rollers' amp and it is specifically designed to make the absolute best of its designed tube compliment. Only two driver tubes have disappointed....a GE Nickel (silver) plate and the RCA Grey glass. Both did not satisfy in the bass department.

Every other 6/12SL7 I have thrown at it...becomes fabulous.

Highly recommended, if you don't mind the fan.

May 10, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #216 of 369
Agreed. I have been playing this thing daily for weeks. I am now comparing it to the Violectric V220 and it is more than holding it's own. I went through a lot of tube amps and hybrid amps looking for a warm/fun sound signature and four weeks in, this seems to be it.
This thing is going to be the polar opposite of my iFi Pro iCAN, which is perfect for what I was looking for.

May 12, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #218 of 369

Tune-age Tuesday...

:wink:
Nice setup! I want to recommend something to you based on years of experience with different footers and isolating or coupling audio components. Those foam footers on your amp and DC power supply are probably not helping your sound. Most people think you want to isolate your audio components but this usually only the case with turntables ( or in the rare case where your listening environmental is experiencing a lot of external vibrations) and only in situations where the turntable is receiving a lot of external vibration from your speakers, footfalls, etc.

I used to think this myself until I read several articles, posts, etc. on the subject. In most cases you actually want to couple your audio component to the stand or whatever they are sitting on. This is to pull away internal vibrations (from transformers and other components) from the component and dissipate these vibrations into the surrounding area. The audible result of coupling the components is often heard as more precise imaging, better micro dynamics and detail, and tighter more precise bass. Try placing wood blocks underneath the components instead of the foam and see if it makes a difference to you. It may not (my overwhelming experience is it does) but it's easy and inexpensive to try and may make a noticeable difference. Just my dos centavos.

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #219 of 369
Nice setup! I want to recommend something to you based on years of experience with different footers and isolating or coupling audio components. Those foam footers on your amp and DC power supply are probably not helping your sound. Most people think you want to isolate your audio components but this usually only the case with turntables ( or in the rare case where your listening environmental is experiencing a lot of external vibrations) and only in situations where the turntable is receiving a lot of external vibration from your speakers, footfalls, etc.

I used to think this myself until I read several articles, posts, etc. on the subject. In most cases you actually want to couple your audio component to the stand or whatever they are sitting on. This is to pull away internal vibrations (from transformers and other components) from the component and dissipate these vibrations into the surrounding area. The audible result of coupling the components is often heard as more precise imaging, better micro dynamics and detail, and tighter more precise bass. Try placing wood blocks underneath the components instead of the foam and see if it makes a difference to you. It may not (my overwhelming experience is it does) but it's easy and inexpensive to try and may make a noticeable difference. Just my dos centavos.

Thanks for this, @Dawgfish -

Your "wood blocks" proposal is not possible in my situation due to the following:

The fan is not "precision balanced" and therefore does introduce small vibrations easily felt on the end table surface and heard via the 70 mu driver.

The foam footers absorb these small vibrations, effectively.

I also want to pass air beneath the amp, since this amp is in a case that is too small for the massive amount of heat generated 2x 6080's. Air over and under the amp is the reason for "tall" footers.

Micro-phonics are a well known concern for 6/12SL7 users since they have a much higher gain factor than most driver tubes. Small vibrations/noises are greatly amplified.

The use of pool noodle slices in my case, is because I am a certified cheap-skate. Might be ugly, but is working 100% effectively, in this situation.

The ultimate solution here would be 2x wall stud mounted shelves. The amp on one, the fan on the other. But, that is not practical in my current housing situation.

Cheers,

:wink:

May 12, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #220 of 369
10-4. That makes sense. If it works for you than why change right? Sounds like you have a good solution for your specific needs and I totally hear you on the cheap-skate thing. I am as well.

May 12, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #221 of 369
10-4. That makes sense. If it works for you than why change right? Sounds like you have a good solution for your specific needs and I totally hear you on the cheap-skate thing. I am as well.

Yeah that is why I am externally heating the 12SL7's...iconic brand/models found in true NOS condition for 1/10th the cost of the 6v versions :wink:

Shhhhhhh....don't tell anyone how this is done!

:)

May 12, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #222 of 369
Yeah that is why I am externally heating the 12SL7's...iconic brand/models found in true NOS condition for 1/10th the cost of the 6v versions :wink:

Lol! Your secret is safe with me!

May 12, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #223 of 369
Look what arrived today….a Melz metal base 6SL7 (equiv). It was shipped from the Ukraine (bless those folks‘ souls) just over a month ago.

initial impression:
“Beautifully Dark”!!
I do love a dark-ish tonality driver.

Going to let it run a few hours then compare it to the Tung Sol 12SL7 BGRP…

EE8D1411-67A4-4F86-A8BB-78F663B3E7E4.jpeg

Also finished installing my DC to DC voltage adjuster. Can power a 6 or 12 volt SL7 now, without having to remove the “external heat enabling” socket saver.
😊😊😊

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #224 of 369
A few hours with the Melz 6N9S (6SL7 equv) and I am more than impressed.

This is bold, dark and deep. Compared to TS BGRP but can hardly believe what I am hearing.

Maybe I am suffering from “shiny new tube syndrome“. Better give it more time more fav music examples to decode…

Might be interesting to compare it to my 12SL7 Ken Rad, since this miracle has a similar bass slam. Maybe it will be a “Ken Rad alike” but with better treble?

✅

May 12, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #225 of 369

Ah yes, arbitrage: the purchase of an asset below ‘fair value’ (12SL7/12SN7) and the sale of an asset above ‘fair value’ (6SL7/6SN7) to equalise price & to eliminate ‘excess return’ (🎼🎵) at the same risk level…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back