Little Dot MK 9 - Has anyone tried it?
Apr 23, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #151 of 370
I think most amps have holes or slits for air convection, but it seems that in certain amps it is not enough to reduce the heat buildup inside the amp.
IMHO the main source of heat buildup in the amp comes from the tubes. Some tubes can reach 200-300C. By blowing air gently on the tubes (and the chassis) they are cooled down and transfer less heat to the chassis. In addition, I use a second fan that cools the transformer housing which usually is another source of heat.
Using fans and socket savers I can usually lower the overall temperature of the entire amp 10C.Since the amp is cooler, and because of a close correlation of the external and internal amp temperatures (maybe 3-5C hotter internally) this system is worthwhile.
Even in a closed amp without ventilation holes, lowering the amount of heat that enters the amp, helps to bring down the internal temperatures.
And regarding tubes, some tubes run much hotter than others as anybody who got burned by a 6080 tube can testify…
My amp definitely has some ventilation holes around the tube sockets, but it's not much. I have seen several hybrids with better ventilation. I am attaching a pic for an idea of how little it will ventilated.
When the weather gets real hot here, July and August, can go longer) will be interesting.

20220423_182737.jpgWithout the fan, the volume knob is very hot to touch. And right now it is 8 degrees outside (about 46 degrees Farenheit).

Apr 23, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #152 of 370
The evacuation is better in my amp since I don't have any brass plate or rings. My chassis had the center hole bored for the 6SL7 tube but this was hidden under the MKIV brass plate which I removed. So I have those smaller holes and the larger center hole. But if I don't use 6080 I have no problem with heat at all, not when using A2293/CV4079 either. And those tubes sound good.

I haven't measured but my impression is that 6080 makes the amp hotter than 6AS7G does. @JazzVinyl or @mordy should know.

Apr 23, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #153 of 370
I was wondering about those 6AS7G's.

Apr 23, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #154 of 370
My amp definitely has some ventilation holes around the tube sockets, but it's not much. I have seen several hybrids with better ventilation. I am attaching a pic for an idea of how little it will ventilated.
When the weather gets real hot here, July and August, can go longer) will be interesting.

20220423_182737.jpgWithout the fan, the volume knob is very hot to touch. And right now it is 8 degrees outside (about 46 degrees Farenheit).
Can the brass rings/plates be removed?

Apr 23, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #155 of 370
I measured the brass ring on the bottom adapter now, using two A2293/CV4079 single triodes instead of one 6080 and the temperature was 33 degrees C, 11 degrees cooler than with 6080. That's quite a difference...

Apr 23, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #156 of 370
Apr 23, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #157 of 370
On MKIII they are screwed from inside the chassis IIRC. When looking at your photo I come to the conclusion that they transfer unneccessary heat to the chassis. This isn't fact but a guess. They become heated by the tube and transfer some of this heat to the chassis and some to the air. A fan above, lifting hot air from tubes and amp, not blowing onto it, might be beneficial. Another guess.

The brass decorations on MKIV were screwed from above, easy to remove.

Apr 23, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #158 of 370
Use of a small fan eliminates heat concerns with the MK9.

I set up a test bed...with a small, quiet fan blowing across a 6080, I could touch the tube glass and the base, even after it had been running for over 4 hours.

EM190610-W2.JPG

Use fan, enjoy the tube compliment the circuit was designed for.

:)

Apr 24, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #162 of 370
Hooked up my CFA Cascades this morning. I was afraid it might too much bass, with the stock tubes, but it is wonderful.
Started with lots of Dave Matthews and am now deep into Donald Byrd.
Another great day for the music.:thumbsup:

Apr 27, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #163 of 370
Just finished four days with the Cascades. Just like with the Elex's, they started to sound thick and bassy in the end. Almost muffled. Initially I turned my Schiit Loki on and corrected the sound. But then I thought, "That doesn't fix anything". I turned it off and decided to change the driver tube back to my Sylvania and WOW did it open up! I think changing tubes will just be a regular part of owning this amp.

New headphone tomorrow.:L3000:

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #164 of 370
Just finished four days with the Cascades. Just like with the Elex's, they started to sound thick and bassy in the end. Almost muffled. Initially I turned my Schiit Loki on and corrected the sound. But then I thought, "That doesn't fix anything". I turned it off and decided to change the driver tube back to my Sylvania and WOW did it open up! I think changing tubes will just be a regular part of owning this amp.

New headphone tomorrow.:L3000:

Looking forward to the impression on the new set o' cans, Shane...

Apr 28, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #165 of 370
Looking forward to the impression on the new set o' cans, Shane...
Went with the Elegia's today and again, a very nice sound. Still running the Sylvania tube. This is my last DD. I have five sets DD's and they ALL sound good on this amp. And you can just change it up with some tube rolling.

I am somewhat curious about what the planar's can do with this amp.

And then a week or so after that I will start comparing the amps head to head.

You must be pretty excited about your incoming toy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back