Little Dot Micro+ initial impressions
Oct 16, 2006 at 8:47 AM Post #286 of 432
It made the music louder you say?
biggrin.gif

The said better amps, with the same cable, made the music much clearer (and more involving, too) as compared to the LDM+, and that was with an HD485... no HD650.

edit- At any rate, If I get my hands on a good mini-mini cable (you hardly find such cables in any store in my neighbourhood), clearly I won't keep it stuck in a drawer like the LDM+ currently is.

Oct 16, 2006 at 9:06 AM Post #287 of 432
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
It made the music louder you say?
biggrin.gif

The said better amps, with the same cable, made the music much clearer (and more involving, too) as compared to the LDM+, and that was with an HD485... no HD650.

edit- At any rate, If I get my hands on a good mini-mini cable (you hardly find such cables in any store in my neighbourhood), clearly I won't keep it stuck in a drawer like the LDM+ currently is.

yep loudness was the first impression it made. i was skeptical about a IC upgrade so i bought the cheap cable just to test it out. here is the cable i bought of ebay $20USD shipped
biggrin.gif
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....6513%26fvi%3D1

Oct 16, 2006 at 10:14 AM Post #288 of 432
Ok, my Black LDM+ (Low Gain) has finally passed the 60hours burn in. I am writing down my take on this atomic little wonder.......

Equipment used:
Cans - Alessandro Music Series 1 & KOSS PortaPro
Canalphones - JDM Panasonic RP-HJE50 32Ohm (heavily modded)
Interconnect - Custom Canare StarQuad
DAP - Creative Labs ZEN Neeon 5GB (firmware 1.011)
Source - Near Lossless LAME VBR-New V0 Q0
Comparison: CMOY OPA2134PA
* FLAT Equalizers *

At this stage my LDM+ has been running non-stop for over 60hours. I would not expect it to perform well before running in for at least 50 hours but certainly my CMOY is getting quite a beating almost in all area. It did sound a bit edgy in the first 8 hours - but then again this is expected. And it haven't died yet from the moment I turned them on! I didn't even charge it yet - purely running on whatever supply of power in the new battery
blink.gif

Highs/Treble/Decays:
This is where LDM+ reigned supreme. Despite the size the LDM+ high frequency output is simply mind boggling. Treble is fluidly presented with very little hint of sibilance. I would expect after over 50 hours the sibilance will be totally gone. Highs are deeply extended and this resulted in sweet decays in cymbals, bells and most percussion instruments, previously only 70% of these are audible with the CMOY. Overall presentation can be defined as cold, but not on the negative side. Guitars "twang" and Synthesizers roll off is faithfully reproduced and did not sound artificial at all. The major improvement is highs control that prevented any sound from going over the board

BASS/SLAM
Some LDM+ users complained that bass seemed to be "reduced". I did not find this to be the case. LDM+ introduced a very tight controll over bass in all frequencies. There's no chance for bass to get boomy of flabby. On tracks that have continous bass attack and sweep, bass remained strong and punchy, while on tracks that does not emphasize bass, it remained reserved as it should be. Grado signature slam and punches remained solid. And yes my ears tell me they extend rather deep. But in this aspect CMOY OP2134PA boast wider bass presence

Articulation/Resolution/Imaging:
LDM+ is a master of articulation, MS-1 is already an articulate headphone among most Grados (within the same league of SR225 but slightly tamed). Combined with LDM+, it's a few step up which resulted in sterile and non glaring resolution. So much so that if a bad source like an MP3 that contained some minor clipping, the artifacts will be heard audibly. But for as long as a clean source is fed through it, LDM+ will spill it out clean. LDM+ complement very well to Grado strong imaging - close your eyes and let the music blow you away
blink.gif
lambda.gif
. I am using my LDM+ now for monitoring of badly ripped WAV files from scratchy CDs.

Separation/Spatial/Soundstage:
Another major improvement from CMOY is instrument separation. LDM+ exhibit superb control over each instruments and no matter how peaky the songs get, it will not sound congested at all. This is even more evident with percussions and strings (guitars). However LDM+ does little to improve Soundstage and Spatialization, MS-1 being a Grado will always suffer from limited sized Soundstage just hovering around the shoulder. But this is compensated by Grado's dynamic airyness and in fact with LDM+ it's trully a 3D experience. I can clearly discern drums behind my shoulders, cymbals somewhere at top corners, guitars rotating seamlessly according to songs, bass rumbling where it should be. Most importantly vocals remained centered and focused - not overly, slightly laid back by Grado & KOSS standard

Midrange:
If you are heavily focused on vocals and mids, you will be slightly dissapointed with the laid back presentation. But some may find this appealing because rather than having the singer singing in your face it will be like listening to them 5 feet away. Drum thumps sounded just right - not emphasized nor reduced.

Speed:
Excellent speed! even a 9V CMOY sounded slow compared to this 3.7V LDM+. Speed played vital roles in getting the whole spectrum to move in liquid motion

Tone/Timbre:
Overall tonality is cold. This is not a warm amp at all unlike those tubes and OPA2134/2132/2227 OpAmps. But tone/timbre remained whole bodied and not tubby sounding at all

I could write more on this wonder, but I would not want to waste your time going through all of them. Listening is believing and I am glad that I made the choice to get this LDM+.

If I have to pick flawed points in LDM+, it has to be the relatively strong input required from the source. Compared to CMOY, I only have to put up 31/40 of volume on the headphone out. The LDM+ require 36/40 to scale up to the CMOY. But then quantity does not constitute quality - I can live with that.

And the SIZE! this has to be one of the thinnest and smallest amp available today beside XIN's SuperMicro & SuperMini. It's actually smaller than a credit card

Pics:
LDMDAPTop2.jpg

LDMDAPTop1.jpg

*EDIT* Due to the very addictive drug called MS-1, I have almost entirely based my review on MS-1 and almost none on PortaPro. But the short period that I plugged my PortaPro did ended in a very desirable result. Helps to remove the heavy veil from PortaPro by some margin but of course PortaPro still remained warm/dark by most standards

Oct 16, 2006 at 10:47 AM Post #289 of 432
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firevortex
yep loudness was the first impression it made. i was skeptical about a IC upgrade so i bought the cheap cable just to test it out. here is the cable i bought of ebay $20USD shipped
biggrin.gif
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....6513%26fvi%3D1

Ok, so loudness as in "more bass" ... No surprise, that's the first difference you normally hear with respect to such a thin cable. My HD485 has already enough bass to start with; and I value mid-treble quality much more - and there the cheapie cable has seemed reasonably good. Unlike - if relatively - the LDM+, for my tastes.

Oct 16, 2006 at 11:53 AM Post #290 of 432
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Ok, so loudness as in "more bass" ... No surprise, that's the first difference you normally hear with respect to such a thin cable. My HD485 has already enough bass to start with; and I value mid-treble quality much more - and there the cheapie cable has seemed reasonably good. Unlike - if relatively - the LDM+, for my tastes.

yeah its prob the deeper bass response that made the music sound loud, especially on a LTD it was very noticeable. i was totally new to headphones back then so i prob interpreted that way. i didnt feel there is any loss of mid/treble quality though. for $50 u cant go wrong with this amp
tongue.gif

Oct 16, 2006 at 1:55 PM Post #291 of 432
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisco
I am using a hard drive atrac player with a line-out and an option via the player to select line-out. If a better cable does make a difference to the sound quality- which one would be my best bet?

A Cardas cable??

If its line out then a better cable is worth the investment IMO. Besides a volume difference, you would definately notice changes in sound signature. Most of the thin interconnects I made ended up tightening the bass, but adding sibelance
blink.gif
. ymmv with different cables, but to say they will improve the sound quality in every aspect would be a lie. They change it, no doubt. Its just that they change it in different ways. Better made cables give more than it takes away. My mid-fi hombrews give as much as they take.
frown.gif

I would suggest to begin with, a cardas hp-1, which is only around 14 bucks. Since its made by cardas I would believe it is well made. I happen to like the way ALO cables are made, so for a step up, you could get the solid silver thing for 40 bucks.

If you plan on getting some obscenely good portable amps later on then there are other exotic stuff like cables dipped in a vat of liquid nitrogen and wrapped in shoelaces and the such.
evil_smiley.gif

Do get the cardas hp-1 from headroom though theres no way to go wrong in that.
biggrin.gif
Its 14 bucks. 14. Thats like two heart-attack value meals at any fast junk joint.
plainface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topplayer
what kind of wire is that??

Its a limited edition run from by Ken of audiolineout. It looks like six solid silver wires in teflon/w braided wire wrap terminated in switchcraft 35HDBAU plug. Basically its the precursor to the jumbo dock, sans shoelaces.

Oct 16, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #292 of 432
EFN, thank's for your review! It makes me confident I made the right choice ordering the LDM+ for my Grado SR225. also, hYdrociTy, thanks for your advice on the cable. I was a little worried the stock cable wouldn't produce the best sound, the cardas hp-1 looks good
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't wait to get this amp!
rs1smile.gif

Oct 16, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #293 of 432
like luckykarma, i am interested and think the ldm+ would probably be a good choice for my first amp for my SR225. (probably the low gain since it's being suggested) i'm just wanting to get one amp and looking at couple headphones for the future say, HD580,HD595, ATH-A900 just to name a couple. i'm assuming that the low gain version will not due with those? therefore would getting the higher gain version of the ldm+ be fine with my SR225 and potential future phones? any suggestions? thanks

Oct 16, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #294 of 432
I think I've been a little harsh to the poor LDM+. Never mind, it's still really good.

Oct 16, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #295 of 432
What is with Headroom customer service?

They wont answer my emails- I have sent them two emails asking about about how much international shipping is over the last week and they have both been ignored
frown.gif

How do you guys get in touch with them?

I don't want to have to phone from the UK...

Oct 16, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #296 of 432
....mine has been staying alive and kicking since the first time I switched it on last Friday at 10.30PM and still no sign of dying
basshead.gif
lambda.gif
. So it has to be that this baby is powered by some sort of Plutonium/Uranium based nuclear reactor
basshead.gif
blink.gif
, George Bush and gang the isn't gonna like this at all....with Taepodong in North Korea and now LDM+ users totting their pocket sized nuclear powered headamp
blink.gif

Lucky Karma:
Yep, it's worth it for an amp with this sort of price. You gonna love them with SR225
wink.gif

Oct 17, 2006 at 1:36 PM Post #297 of 432
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN
....mine has been staying alive and kicking since the first time I switched it on last Friday at 10.30PM and still no sign of dying
basshead.gif
lambda.gif
. So it has to be that this baby is powered by some sort of Plutonium/Uranium based nuclear reactor
basshead.gif
blink.gif
, George Bush and gang the isn't gonna like this at all....with Taepodong in North Korea and now LDM+ users totting their pocket sized nuclear powered headamp
blink.gif

Lucky Karma:
Yep, it's worth it for an amp with this sort of price. You gonna love them with SR225
wink.gif

Seriously. I bet ol jong il is stashing his loot inside our ldm+, in case we ever go there to look for it lol. I bet old 'ddam hid them biochem wep inside the
igrados, hence the funky reactions when put near peoples skulls!
eggosmile.gif

Oct 19, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #299 of 432
Yeah, these babies have pack more juice than you can think of. Did a full charge when I first received it at around mid August, its now mid October and still going strong. Been averaging an hour plus every weekday for commuting to uni and back.

Oct 20, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #300 of 432
Quote:

Originally Posted by young&wild
Yeah, these babies have pack more juice than you can think of. Did a full charge when I first received it at around mid August, its now mid October and still going strong. Been averaging an hour plus every weekday for commuting to uni and back.

That's Insane!
biggrin.gif

I even think of hooking up LDM+ battery with external port to feed my DAP which happens to use the very same 3.7 Li-Ion. That would equalize the battery load because right now I lost count how many time I have to charge my dap (the battery is dying) before I come anywhere near charging the LDM+

Users who are viewing this thread

Back