Little Dot Micro+ initial impressions
Oct 30, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #301 of 432
My little dot micro+ finally drained the battery! I think it clocked around 20 hours with IEM, more than 3 overnights(23hours) with hd580, 2 overnights with k240(15hours) And 12 days with at least 18 hours each of ksc35 burnage. Wow that adds up to around...274 hours!

Im suprised that the last 10-20 hours of the battery life was pretty dull soundwise. When I finally charged it awhile ago, it was like horns and strings came alive again! I thought lithium ion batteries didnt really lose voltage as they drained like alkaline and other batts? I was under the impression that they just "died". They did just die but the sound became muffled near the end. Unlike the total airhead, which started clipping gradually and turned into static. Leads me to wonder what was going on in the last few hours that caused the muffled sound. But im not complaining. I just charged this baby for one hour and listened to it plugged in to see if it charged and bam my senses didnt know what hit me.

So the moral of this story is? Now that I know how long this thing lasts, im gonna charge it ever 200 hours or so before it reaches its "critical unstable" last moments! Being li-ion im sure the batter can withstand charging anytime, as they are rated total charge cycles instead of how many times you plug it in like nicad or nimh. Charge on!

When I opened it up the batt looked oddly like some kind of cell phone battery? I was wondering if anyone knows where to get replacements? In the even that after 8000 hours or so later the battery no longer charges....

Oct 30, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #302 of 432
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Nah... the stock interconnect is more than decent. Nothing more ....nothing less.

I honestly think that probably the amp's more limited than the cable (comparing with a Portaphile X^3 with output buffers, and a modded Go-Vibe & Xenos, using the stock interconnect). Probably.

Thi is not true mate- honestly it is just not true.

I bought the little micro dot + and have been listening post burn-in with my sen 595s. I then bought a silver mini to mini from AudioLineOut and Ken.

The sound quality is miles better!!!

In fact I would say a good 40% better. The little Dot Micr Plus benefits massively from this interconnect. All I have to do is swap the interconnects and I hear one- what I previously though was a good amp and one glorious sound amp. vastly superior bass, the vocals now sound beded in with the rest of the sound and not slightly decapitated and above it. The sound is less analytical and more musical and the highs are not remotely harsh but still great...the mids have improved greatly. When I listen to drums I hear the and feel the drum stick.......miles better the bass is much better too...I'm soooo happy
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hey Andrea, by the way I'm not trying to sound like a smart ass and I certainly don't know as much as you do regarding amp and music. I am just going off a straight comparison on this one.

If you have a little dot micro plus and are using the interconnect that comes with it, I would say contact AudioLineOut and get a silver mini to mini of of Ken or somthing similar and you will want to kiss me for telling you that when you hear the difference for yourself. I wont let you do that of course but if you mention how happy you are I will smile my ass off.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 30, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #303 of 432
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy
Im suprised that the last 10-20 hours of the battery life was pretty dull soundwise. When I finally charged it awhile ago, it was like horns and strings came alive again! I thought lithium ion batteries didnt really lose voltage as they drained like alkaline and other batts? I was under the impression that they just "died". They did just die. Unlike the total airhead, which started clipping gradually and turned into static. Leads me to wonder what was going on in the last few hours. But im not complaining. I just charged this baby for one hour and listened to it plugged in to see if it charged and bam my senses didnt know what hit me.

When I opened it up the batt looked oddly like some kind of cell phone battery? I was wondering if anyone knows where to get replacements? In the even that after 8000 hours or so later the battery no longer charges....

The amplifier chip in it takes 2.7-5.5V. Below 2.7V and it automatically shuts down. Therefore you won't get to hear any clipping, as the amp works properly all the way through a battery charge IINM.

You could replace it with 3 AAAs in series or whatever 3-5V, but charging would be a problem. Maybe those 3.7V camera batteries...

Oct 31, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #304 of 432
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy
My little dot micro+ finally drained the battery! I think it clocked around 20 hours with IEM, more than 3 overnights(23hours) with hd580, 2 overnights with k240(15hours) And 12 days with at least 18 hours each of ksc35 burnage. Wow that adds up to around...274 hours!

Im suprised that the last 10-20 hours of the battery life was pretty dull soundwise. When I finally charged it awhile ago, it was like horns and strings came alive again! I thought lithium ion batteries didnt really lose voltage as they drained like alkaline and other batts? I was under the impression that they just "died". They did just die but the sound became muffled near the end. Unlike the total airhead, which started clipping gradually and turned into static. Leads me to wonder what was going on in the last few hours that caused the muffled sound. But im not complaining. I just charged this baby for one hour and listened to it plugged in to see if it charged and bam my senses didnt know what hit me.

So the moral of this story is? Now that I know how long this thing lasts, im gonna charge it ever 200 hours or so before it reaches its "critical unstable" last moments! Being li-ion im sure the batter can withstand charging anytime, as they are rated total charge cycles instead of how many times you plug it in like nicad or nimh. Charge on!

Nah I didn't bother to calculate how long them bugger stayed alive. Just make myself a reminder to charge my LDM+ every 10 days because it will take forever to wait for the SQ or even the led to wane out
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #305 of 432
My initial impression: OMG
eggosmile.gif

I finally got my LDM+ today, so I finally got to use the DAC and all the fun cables I got last week, and man, I can't describe how much better the sound is... With my SR225 the bass is brought out a lot more and is a lot more defined.. Seriously, when I heard my SR225 through my new setup I said to myself, "It can't get much better than this."

Now I'm listening to my K81DJ, my first impression was "OMG BASS
basshead.gif
" (I tested out some trance tunes with them) The bass is so loud, I had the bass level about perfect when I took out the foam pads, now it's not boomy like with the pads, but just loud and feels like it's there more. Everything else sounds incredible, there's so many different instruments and sounds I never knew were in some of my favorite songs.

Anyway, I've got to get to class but thanks to everyone who recommended the LDM+ to me, it was definitely a great purchase (for a great price!
eggosmile.gif
)

Nov 2, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #306 of 432
hYdrociTy:
Yep, the optimal sonic delivery seems to be within the 140hours. After that it will still run fine until the light fades. Nearing the region of 150 to 200 hours I can sense some degradation sometimes. The cure is to ensure those baby are properly charged nearing 140hours treshold.

LuckyKarma:
Glad u love em
wink.gif
With further use you will get really attached
biggrin.gif

Nov 2, 2006 at 9:32 AM Post #307 of 432
Anyone using the LDM+ with a X-Fi card here? I just got my new LDM+ because there was a short on the PCB with my first LDM+. Should I max out the volume on the LDM+ and control the volume with Creative Console? or should I max out my software volume and control the volume with the LDM+?

I also been hearing that some people here have replaced the stock 3.5mm IC cable that came with the LDM+ and experienced noticable results. Should I go out and spend some $$$ on a quality 3.5mm cable?

Nov 2, 2006 at 9:41 AM Post #308 of 432
Quote:

Originally Posted by OpTicaL
Anyone using the LDM+ with a X-Fi card here? I just got my new LDM+ because there was a short on the PCB with my first LDM+. Should I max out the volume on the LDM+ and control the volume with Creative Console? or should I max out my software volume and control the volume with the LDM+?

Use the line out jack on the creative console, or set the volume at 'line level' or as close as you can get, sometimes it's 3/4 of the slider, sometimes there's a button or check box. Then control the volume on the LDM+. It will give you much cleaner sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OpTicaL
I also been hearing that some people here have replaced the stock 3.5mm IC cable that came with the LDM+ and experienced noticable results. Should I go out and spend some $$$ on a quality 3.5mm cable?

Buy or build a silver cable with gold tips. I hate to say it because of the cost, but I didn't believe the diference until I A/B'd the silver cable I built with a copper cable that came with the LDM+. Silver makes a HUGE difference, I didn't believe it at first either. Be sure to let the silver burn-in before you make any conclusions.

Hope you are happy with your LDM+!

Nov 2, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #309 of 432
Just got a used amp from Aaron622. It drives my DT990's (250ohm) to a very comfortable level using the line out on my nano and 300+ bitrate mp3's with no distortion. Glad to see the long batt. life. I was lstening to a altoids cmoy and this amp is a nice step up in over all defininition and soundstage.

Nov 2, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #310 of 432
I just picked up my LDM+ from the post office this morning. It's so tiny—much smaller than I anticipated.

I haven't listened yet because I'm charging it. Does anyone know how long the initial charge should be?

Nov 2, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #311 of 432
Quote:

Originally Posted by smallmouth
I just picked up my LDM+ from the post office this morning. It's so tiny—much smaller than I anticipated.

I haven't listened yet because I'm charging it. Does anyone know how long the initial charge should be?

I searched through the thread and found someone who said 4 hours, that's what I did with mine
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #313 of 432
Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyKarma
I searched through the thread and found someone who said 4 hours, that's what I did with mine
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks. I left it for 2.5 hours because I couldn't wait any longer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sounds fantastic so far.

Nov 2, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #314 of 432
Quote:

Originally Posted by smallmouth

I do not remember that I did any initial charge. Did you try to use it right away? It should be charged.

Anyway, I always charge it overnight after the battery is completedly drained.

Nov 2, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #315 of 432
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmid
I do not remember that I did any initial charge. Did you try to use it right away? It should be charged.

Anyway, I always charge it overnight after the battery is completedly drained.

I just turned it on to make sure it worked, then charged it for 2.5 hours. I'm sure it'll be fine; I just wanted to make sure.

I sent David an email earlier, so I'll post his answer when he responds.

Edit:

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
I would suggest charging it for about 4 hours at first, and then completely draining the battery before your next recharge. A few charge-discharge cycles of the li-on battery at the beginning will stabilize your battery nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back