Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Nov 25, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #136 of 3,154
beerchug.gif
Congrats...I have those Mullards with the same shield in the M8100 version and they are very nice....A very musical toe tapping tube...nice midrange...very smooth

Quote:

Originally Posted by cristox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi!

I just pinned those tubes on ebay.

364c_1_b.JPG

link

Are they any good?
Is it possible that they are the much sought after Mullard M8161 with the large shield logo?
confused_face(1).gif

Nov 25, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #137 of 3,154
I just recently acquired a slightly used LDI+ with stock tubes. Amp came with no manual so if someone please provide me with the correct jumper and switch settings if I am to do some tube rolling. I am waiting for some sylvi gold 408a and mullard cv131 to arrive.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #138 of 3,154
still looking for a nice tube for my little dot I... would love some better music quality but they have to be a bit decent too for gaming...

suggestions? (ld I+ / X-fi / ath-a900)

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #139 of 3,154
Copy and paste from the LittleDot l+ reference guide pdf.

To use WE408A tubes:
1. K1 and K2 set to the side of the “WE408A” text
2. Make sure the jumper caps are removed from J1 and J2 (open circuit)

To use 6JI, 6AK5, 5654, WE403A/B, etc:
1. K1 and K2 set to the side of the “6JI” text
2. Make sure the jumper caps are removed from J1 and J2 (open circuit)

To use EF91, EF92, CV131, CV138, etc:
1. K1 and K2 set to the side of the “6JI” text
2. Make sure the jumpers caps are in place over both J1 and J2 (short circuit)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pleco00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
someone please provide me with the correct jumper and switch settings if I am to do some tube rolling.

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #140 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by cristox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Copy and paste from the LittleDot l+ reference guide pdf.

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
beerchug.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #141 of 3,154
So has there been a consensus on what opamps work well with this amp? I'm soon to be rocking it with some Sylvania Gold 408a tubes. Thanks Trapper.

I am leaning towards 1364s, but 627s on a browndog are tempting as well, if not pricey. Anybody have any thoughts?

Nov 26, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #143 of 3,154
Hi there.

I got my amp in October and recently got a pair of NOS EF92 by Mullard from a 100% trusted eBay seller for just 6 (!) bucks incl. shipping from UK to continental Europe. It seems to be a 'new logo' industrial, not military, variety, but considering the price...
wink.gif
Both tubes work perfect and they came unmatched (as well as the stock ones) and, obviously, even untested. Being a musician and a sound engineer, I have more or less 'well-tuned' ears and I can't hear any stereo image anomalies. In comparison (after some burn-in) to the cheapest Chinese stock tubes these Mullards have more detailed and balanced presentation in the mid-upper register, better instrument separation but lack a bit some specific bass 'pump' and female vocals sparkle. But overall they are very good 'tuning option', more 'mature' in their character than the stock 'funny kids'. Haven't tried any of 408As yet, just haven't found them for cheap and don't want to pay a lot just for the hype (but later I'll try them as well as some different opamps).

My music tastes include classics, rock, metal, some pop, trip-hop, jazz, ethnics, etc. I use Digidesign MBox 2 Pro as my primary workstation and DAC (BTW, it has a decent pair of solid-state headphone outs) and listen through different low-impedance cans: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (the best mixing and analitical listening option available but rather uncomfortable to wear), Shure E2C (some roll-off in the highs, but still monitors and great bang-for-the-buck), Alessandro MS-1 and AKG K66 (my older set, but being circum-aural and paired with LD I+ these underrated cheapies CAN outshine my friend's Sennheiser HD595 almost in every aspect, except occasional sibilance level and lower bass extension; it seems embarrasing even for me, but my ears are a better advisor than any brand hype).

Just my 'extended' 2 cents.
smily_headphones1.gif

Andrei

Nov 27, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #144 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by bronth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there.

I got my amp in October and recently got a pair of NOS EF92 by Mullard from a 100% trusted eBay seller for just 6 (!) bucks incl. shipping from UK to continental Europe. It seems to be a 'new logo' industrial, not military, variety, but considering the price...
wink.gif
Both tubes work perfect and they came unmatched (as well as the stock ones) and, obviously, even untested. Being a musician and a sound engineer, I have more or less 'well-tuned' ears and I can't hear any stereo image anomalies. In comparison (after some burn-in) to the cheapest Chinese stock tubes these Mullards have more detailed and balanced presentation in the mid-upper register, better instrument separation but lack a bit some specific bass 'pump' and female vocals sparkle. But overall they are very good 'tuning option', more 'mature' in their character than the stock 'funny kids'. Haven't tried any of 408As yet, just haven't found them for cheap and don't want to pay a lot just for the hype (but later I'll try them as well as some different opamps).

My music tastes include classics, rock, metal, some pop, trip-hop, jazz, ethnics, etc. I use Digidesign MBox 2 Pro as my primary workstation and DAC (BTW, it has a decent pair of solid-state headphone outs) and listen through different low-impedance cans: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (the best mixing and analitical listening option available but rather uncomfortable to wear), Shure E2C (some roll-off in the highs, but still monitors and great bang-for-the-buck), Alessandro MS-1 and AKG K66 (my older set, but being circum-aural and paired with LD I+ these underrated cheapies CAN outshine my friend's Sennheiser HD595 almost in every aspect, except occasional sibilance level and lower bass extension; it seems embarrasing even for me, but my ears are a better advisor than any brand hype).

Just my 'extended' 2 cents.
smily_headphones1.gif

Andrei

Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet!

If you would like to try a pair of cheap 408A's they can be had here (I see from your post you are in Europe, so this may not be helpful for you):

408A Tube [408A] - $1.49 : Piexx Company, Computers & Electronics

As far as I know they are not matched pairs but the ones I got seem to work very well together. I ran through the volume from silent up past normal listening volume and could not hear an imbalance.

I have the GE408A's running right now with a LT1364 opamp and think it sounds great with my MS2i's.

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #145 of 3,154
Can someone tell me if it's normal that my Little dot does the following:

My pc is turned off, i put on the headphones and turn the amp volume open on their max. I hear glitches / buzzing. I disconnect the audio cable from my computer and the noise is gone.

Is this normal?

Nov 27, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #147 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which tubes are adviced? I listen to all kinds of music and do game a fair bit.
Don't want to lose alot of bass which my ath-a900 pump out.

Start with the Mullard M8100 and the Voshod 6ZH1P-EV.
wink_face.gif

Nov 27, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #149 of 3,154
Nov 28, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #150 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey all!

I just went and ordered two pairs of 408A:s from here:
408A Tube [408A] - $1.49 : Piexx Company, Computers & Electronics

I don't know anything about them, but they weren't expensive. Two pairs just in case there's any significant mismatching..

Thanks for the link Bigjim!
smily_headphones1.gif

-K rogers out..

Look to be late production(...the box they show in the picture has a packed date of 6/87)GE offerings which were probably ordered on a JAN contract as most JAN tubes are packed in such boxes with such labeling on the side. Its good stuff,nice find!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back