Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Nov 28, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #151 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by 928GTS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look to be late production(...the box they show in the picture has a packed date of 6/87)GE offerings which were probably ordered on a JAN contract as most JAN tubes are packed in such boxes with such labeling on the side. Its good stuff,nice find!

I can post some impressions when i've had the chance to play with them a little..

If they sound good, I'll surely order more for back-up
smily_headphones1.gif

-K

Nov 30, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #152 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjim82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet!

If you would like to try a pair of cheap 408A's they can be had here (I see from your post you are in Europe, so this may not be helpful for you):

408A Tube [408A] - $1.49 : Piexx Company, Computers & Electronics

As far as I know they are not matched pairs but the ones I got seem to work very well together. I ran through the volume from silent up past normal listening volume and could not hear an imbalance.

I have the GE408A's running right now with a LT1364 opamp and think it sounds great with my MS2i's.

Thanks, bigjim82, I've checked this site out but shipping rates to Europe (about $18) are a bit too high, IMO. There's nothing extremely wrong with my wallet (considering the crisis) but the price/quality factor is my sacred rule.
wink.gif
Although, I realize - the best 408As available in most cases are Americans, so they couldn't compete with Mullards price-wise.

Dec 3, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #153 of 3,154
Heey! Very much enjoying these:

408A Tube [408A] - $5.49 : Piexx Company, Computers & Electronics

After i ordered a set, they got a $5.49 -pricetag immediately. (I payed $1.49/tube). $18 shipping, but was worth it
smily_headphones1.gif

I ordered four tubes. Since yesterday i've been matching them, and now have found a darn good sounding one! I hope the sound-signature remains close to this after burn-in. After 5hrs, they sound very dynamic/transparent. Not as close or sweet as WE408As, and lack a little soundstage compared. BUT the punch and detail they deliver is fantastic! Accurate but plentiful bass (WE's had not much to mention), while being tonally accurate. Best all-rounder so far in my collection (6J1's and WE408A's). They sound a little bright still, I'm hoping it would calm down a little in the treble section, while retaining it's detail.. This happened to the WE408A's, so why not here? Let's hope
smily_headphones1.gif

Cans that I tested them with were AD2000's and sr325i's. Still amazed by the dynamics and transparency these tubes delivered. So good sounding with AD2000's that i've started reconsidering a purchase of an SS-amp for them..
Anyone else tried these yet? Would love to hear a reference by another headfier!
I'd like to add, that there's little noticeable hiss, nothing that would dominate over the noise my graphics card makes though..
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok, back to burning these babies in. Roger out

-K

Dec 7, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #154 of 3,154
Hey guys,

This is a pretty noob question, but as much as we all love sound, is it possible to purchase tubes that emit different colour light? Or glow at different brightness levels? Because I'm sure you all love to see those tubes glow
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #155 of 3,154
Yes, in fact I was quite surprised to see my Sylvania Gold 408A the first time. They glow around the same brightness as my former WE408A, but with a more redish color, while WE408A were more yellowish. So both orange, but one to the brighter side, and one to the darker.

Dec 9, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #156 of 3,154
Dec 9, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #157 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

This is a pretty noob question, but as much as we all love sound, is it possible to purchase tubes that emit different colour light? Or glow at different brightness levels? Because I'm sure you all love to see those tubes glow
smily_headphones1.gif

post-2-1121842952.jpg

Back in the day we had these...
beerchug.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #158 of 3,154
I've been using the GE 408A as well as the stock 6JI for a while now.

The 408A is nice, seems to bring out more detail, focus is around the mids/uppermids. I find it lacking bass punch though. Are all 408As like this (Sylvanias, WE)? The 6JI is pronouncedly more bass-friendly.

Can anyone describe the sound signature of the Mullard EF92s?

Dec 10, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #159 of 3,154
I found the difference between GE- and WE408's to be quite the opposite of marginal. GE's do have plenty more of punch in the bass section, more apparent details and sound more transparent (though not short of SS-amps). Where it loses to the WE's is soundstage, dimensionality and forwardness.

I like the GE's best now, at least with my AD2000's. The Stock 6J1's are just too muffled. They have bass, but are unable to control it
smily_headphones1.gif

GE408's have punch, and are also more dynamic. Maybe having a lower noisefloor has something to do with this..

Have yet to tried the sylvanias though..

-K

Dec 10, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #160 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the GE's best now, at least with my AD2000's. The Stock 6J1's are just too muffled. They have bass, but are unable to control it
smily_headphones1.gif

GE408's have punch, and are also more dynamic. Maybe having a lower noisefloor has something to do with this..

Have yet to tried the sylvanias though..

-K

The Sylvania 408A's are amazing, I would say the WE 408A are not too shabby but the Sylvania is definitely in a league beyond the WE in both dynamics and soundstaging.
icon10.gif

- DoA

Dec 12, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #161 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sylvania 408A's are amazing, I would say the WE 408A are not too shabby but the Sylvania is definitely in a league beyond the WE in both dynamics and soundstaging.
icon10.gif

- DoA

Hmm.. But the AD2000's need bass and i recall someone saying that the sylvanias are slightly shy on that matter.. I don't really like the WE's after the GE's. They sound dull and lack punch. I guess these phones really need an ss-amp to drive them..:/
Grado's are another story..
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks anyway..

-K

Dec 13, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #162 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
post-2-1121842952.jpg

Back in the day we had these...
beerchug.gif

daymn DOA..the LD II looks awesome!
smily_headphones1.gif
I read that blue LEDs were actually built into the amp, i wonder why they ceased production of LEDs in tube sockets. I'd gladly pay another $10 or so for them to be installed. Unless they cost more, i have no idea..

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #165 of 3,154

Users who are viewing this thread

Back