Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Dec 16, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #167 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Give these a try. I think they're the best value in LD upgrades. Speaking from personal experience it's worth it to get your tubes in matched pairs from trusted sellers.

- DoA

Can you describe their sound-signature, say, by comparing them to some 408's for example?
And do you think yen is one of those trusted sellers? Don't have any experience..

Thank you!

-K

Dec 18, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #168 of 3,154
I just ordered some 408a tubes. They are on their way here. I have some other opamps but I don't have any LT1364 opamps.

What other opamps work well that don't require an adapter?

Does anyone have a spare LT1364 opamp they can send to me?

th_th1_4_13.gif

Dec 20, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #169 of 3,154
WE 408a tubes arrived.
Amp has already burned in over 100-hours but these tubes have just over 8-hours so far. Definitely sounds better than stock tubes right now.

For how long should the WE 408a burn in?

th_th1_4_13.gif

Dec 21, 2008 at 11:57 AM Post #170 of 3,154
I am also interested in the opamp rolling results achieved until now.

Dec 23, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #171 of 3,154
Late to the party but right now I'm considering to get the LD I+ for my Denon D2000.

Will the 408A tubes make the Denon too dark? Based on this thread, the Sylvania seems to be the best choice for 408A but considering how rare it is, will the WE be a good choice as well?

Dec 28, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #172 of 3,154
I had almost written off the Little Dot I+ as another over-hyped flavor of the month buzz. I had it up for sale and then I pulled it on a whim deciding to order some tubes and take one last crack at it. I don’t want to get my hopes up just yet but the upgraded Little Dot I+ now plays very well with my Grado SR225!
biggrin.gif

I upgraded the tubes to Sylvania 408a and Western Electric 408a. ([size=xx-small]edit to clarify:[/size] I meant Sylvania Gold Brand 408A)
Then I replaced the op-amp to a LT1364.

OH…
…MY...
GOODNESS!!!

I can’t believe my ears! This inexpensive little amp is sounding huge and excellent. I am letting all the new components burn-in before I report back with more detailed impressions. I have a feeling that this is going to be an amazing piece of equipment for the money!

“It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.”

A gigantic “Thank you” to those of you who experimented rolling op-amps and tubes with the Little Dot I+. Your opinions and advice towards combining the LT1364 and 408a tubes is spot on.

If you own the Little Dot I+ and you have not yet changed out the stock tubes and op-amp, do yourself a favor. Replace them NOW!

Dec 28, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #173 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by hottyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had almost written off the Little Dot I+ as another over-hyped flavor of the month buzz. I had it up for sale and then I pulled it on a whim deciding to order some tubes and take one last crack at it. I don’t want to get my hopes up just yet but the upgraded Little Dot I+ now plays very well with my Grado SR225!
biggrin.gif

I upgraded the tubes to Sylvania 408a and Western Electric 408a.
Then I replaced the op-amp to a LT1364.

OH…
…MY...
GOODNESS!!!

I can’t believe my ears! This inexpensive little amp is sounding huge and excellent. I am letting all the new components burn-in before I report back with more detailed impressions. I have a feeling that this is going to be an amazing piece of equipment for the money!

“It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.”

A gigantic “Thank you” to those of you who experimented rolling op-amps and tubes with the Little Dot I+. Your opinions and advice towards combining the LT1364 and 408a tubes is spot on.

If you own the Little Dot I+ and you have not yet changed out the stock tubes and op-amp, do yourself a favor. Replace them NOW!

I completely agree on the LT1364 and 408a combo. Great synergy.

Dec 29, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #174 of 3,154
I also agree on the combo, don't bother with the OPA627 there is nothing to be gained but more bass at the expense of everything else. Those who remember me, I was the first (at least on this thread) to try the LT1364 and posted my impressions which at the time were great. I left my opamps at my dorm so I won't be able to swap back to the LT1364 until late January
frown.gif

Dec 29, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #175 of 3,154
Heey! Where can i get LT1364's?

Is it true that i can order two samples for free? I have a zero, that could use an upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

-K

Dec 29, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #176 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heey! Where can i get LT1364's?

Just in case something went wrong with a tube, I ordered extra so that I wouldn't have to pay shipping for unforeseen problems. I will be selling off my extra Western Electric 408a and Sylvania 408a tubes after I do some more tube rolling. Look in the for sale forum in over the next week or two.

I also ordered four extra LT1364 just because they were so cheap at $7 each. I will probably offer some of those up for sale too.

edit: I just put them up forsale (or trade for tubes)

Dec 30, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #177 of 3,154
Jan 2, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #179 of 3,154
Jan 3, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #180 of 3,154
I thought about this earlier today.. Wouldn't sideways operation of the I+ be possible with an HDAM sitting in the opamp socket? Like if one were to rotate the I+ 90 degrees counter-clockwise so the volume knob is on top. Or would that put too much stress on the opamp socket?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back