Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Jan 7, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #2,912 of 3,154
Uggh. I'm looking for some natural sounding tubes for my LD 1+.

To my ears, the most natural tubes were the 6AQ6/6AT6/6AV6 series, the tall 6HM5 and the C3g.

Interestingly, the 6AQ6 and 6AT6 equal one-half of a 12AT7 and the 6AV6 equals one-half of a 12AX7. To run these tubes in an LD, it is necessary to cut off pins 5 and 6 and use the EF91/92 setting.

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #2,914 of 3,154
Finally, Burson V5i arrived.

I honestly didn't think it will make much difference. But holy **** it made a world of difference. Sound is much more transparent now.

CEntrance DACport Slim > LD I+ (with Burson V5i + El 6HM5) > HD 6XX

********* love this setup.

Thanks to everyone who helped to make these decisions.

PS - Contrary to most comments, even LD I+ (with above modifications) being a hybrid powers HD6XX almost perfectly.

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #2,916 of 3,154
What opamp have you changed from so therefore making your comparisons against? The stock one?

I'm currently using LT1364 having gone through some of the cheaper available opamps
Burson, Sparkos and Muses are perhaps on my list to try at some point this year

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #2,917 of 3,154
btw have been using Sylvania 6HM5 for the last few months. I found the EI to be quite microphonic.

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #2,918 of 3,154
  What opamp have you changed from so therefore making your comparisons against? The stock one?

I'm currently using LT1364 having gone through some of the cheaper available opamps
Burson, Sparkos and Muses are perhaps on my list to try at some point this year

Yeah, Used LD I+ with the stock opamp. With V5i it seems like a veil was removed from the headphones. Didn't try any other opamps, but I'm perfectly happy with V5i.

btw have been using Sylvania 6HM5 for the last few months. I found the EI to be quite microphonic.

I didn't find El to be microphonic, it's bit on the warmer side but I like it that way for the tubey sound. In fact I like them more than 6ZH1P-EV Rocket Logo.

Jan 14, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #2,920 of 3,154

PS - Contrary to most comments, even LD I+ (with above modifications) being a hybrid powers HD6XX almost perfectly.

^^ this. I'm currently using the I+ w/ the HD650, stock op amp & NE408A tubes & it powers them perfectly fine. Even on low gain, I can't go past 12:00 before being extremely loud. Plenty of power for these cans. People who say otherwise either haven't tried the combo, or they're trying to justify their $400+ OTL tube amp purchase.
tongue.gif

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #2,921 of 3,154
^^ this. I'm currently using the I+ w/ the HD650, stock op amp & NE408A tubes & it powers them perfectly fine. Even on low gain, I can't go past 12:00 before being extremely loud. Plenty of power for these cans. People who say otherwise either haven't tried the combo, or they're trying to justify their $400+ OTL tube amp purchase. :p

Well I have a Little Dot 1+, Muses02, EI 6HM5 on the go, and just picked up a Darkvoice 336i on massdrop (still have to order some replacement tubes for it). I will do the comparison to see and post here to tell you my findings :wink: I kind a hope you are right and sell the DV after..

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #2,922 of 3,154
Well I have a Little Dot 1+, Muses02, EI 6HM5 on the go, and just picked up a Darkvoice 336i on massdrop (still have to order some replacement tubes for it). I will do the comparison to see and post here to tell you my findings
wink.gif
I kind a hope you are right and sell the DV after..

I'm not denying that the Darkvoice will likely sound a tad better. I'm just saying that people who claim the 1+ can in no way power the HD600/650 are simply wrong.

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #2,923 of 3,154
For cans like the HD650 the Darkvoice will definitely sound better than the I+. But IME Darkvoice breaks down too often (i've seen at least 4 DV336 break down in use). If it were to me, I'd go for a mk3 which I think should be of the same price with the 336 on MD. Also, maintaining 2 sets of incompatible tubes would be too expensive for me, so LD all the way.

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #2,924 of 3,154
  For cans like the HD650 the Darkvoice will definitely sound better than the I+. But IME Darkvoice breaks down too often (i've seen at least 4 DV336 break down in use). If it were to me, I'd go for a mk3 which I think should be of the same price with the 336 on MD. Also, maintaining 2 sets of incompatible tubes would be too expensive for me, so LD all the way.

just wondering, aren't the tubes for the ld mk3 more expensive than those needed for the 336? first of all, four tubes are needed instead of two, and if you go for matched pairs than the price goes up quickly. 

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #2,925 of 3,154
  just wondering, aren't the tubes for the ld mk3 more expensive than those needed for the 336? first of all, four tubes are needed instead of two, and if you go for matched pairs than the price goes up quickly. 

In this case, it's not the number of tubes that matters...  The DV uses 6SN7 and 6AS7. These are high demand tubes as they are used in many audio amps. The LD uses tubes that not commonly used by other audio amps, and therefore, the demand is low and they are much less expensive. 

For example, you can get four of the best tubes available for the LD for a total of $50. Further, with the LD, paying extra for matched tubes is a waste of money. On the other hand, it's very easy to spend $100 to get "good" tubes for the DV, and some spend considerably more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back