Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Jan 15, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #2,476 of 3,154
  Perhaps this is the info I need to make sure any opamp is compatible with the I+

http://www.littledot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=385&start=0

The LD1+ requires either a dual channel o-amp, or two single channel op-amps with a suitable DIP-8 adapter.  It is sometimes possible to buy 2x single channel op-amps already soldered to an adapter, allowing us to try op-amps that are not available as dual channel.

Some good info here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/146018/the-op-amp-rolling-thread

Jan 17, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #2,477 of 3,154
I have just ordered a Muses02 to see if I can squeeze just a little more bass out of my little dot & Q701. I was wondering if anybody would like to share their top 5 albums that they use as a reference to test any tube rolling or op amp rolling. I have 5 that are my go to cd's that tell me if there is a difference and as I am always looking for new, well produced music I thought it would be interesting to see what others use 

1. Incognito - Greatest Hits, fantastic production and musicianship. Shows me how the Q701's can go deep
2. Oleta Adams - Moving On, Great recorded voice and instruments, showes me how the little dot can reproduce the smallest details
3. Sting - Ten Summoner's Tales, Just a great overall recording and separation. Drums sound fantastic
4. Paul Simon - Negotiations & Love Songs, I find both the little dot & the Q701's show how this combination reproduces vocals, close your eyes...mmmmmm
5. Extreem - 3 sides to every story, definitely shows that the little dot can handle rock, especially when its recorded as well as this this.

I hope others will chip in as I love being exposed to new material and hearing others opinions on what music makes our little amp sing

Thanks

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #2,478 of 3,154
Possibly a daft question but how important is a matched pair?

Looking at 6ZH1P-EV tubes on ebay now and the ones that don't mentioned "matched pair" are some £6 cheaper than the ones that do.  They are sold as a pair, but doesn't say matched.

Also, how important is the date?  2 from 1970 are £2 dearer than ones that state 1980; these are both matched pairs however.  I know £2 is pretty much irrelevant, I'm just curious.

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #2,479 of 3,154
  Possibly a daft question but how important is a matched pair?

Looking at 6ZH1P-EV tubes on ebay now and the ones that don't mentioned "matched pair" are some £6 cheaper than the ones that do.  They are sold as a pair, but doesn't say matched.

Also, how important is the date?  2 from 1970 are £2 dearer than ones that state 1980; these are both matched pairs however.  I know £2 is pretty much irrelevant, I'm just curious.

I've heard you should get matched to avoid channel imbalance. As far as year, from what I've seen from other tube brands is that each year differs slightly in sound quality. I am currently using vokshod 6zhip-ev tubes from 1985 but I just purchased these 1970s gold-platinum NOS ones from russia and they should be coming in the mail soon. I've generally read the 1970s vokshods are better than 80s because they were more in demand at the time due to the cold war. http://www.ebay.com/itm/131446387039?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Jan 17, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #2,480 of 3,154
  I've heard you should get matched to avoid channel imbalance. As far as year, from what I've seen from other tube brands is that each year differs slightly in sound quality. I am currently using vokshod 6zhip-ev tubes from 1985 but I just purchased these 1970s gold-platinum NOS ones from russia and they should be coming in the mail soon. I've generally read the 1970s vokshods are better than 80s because they were more in demand at the time due to the cold war. http://www.ebay.com/itm/131446387039?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Ah righto, I've actually ordered the 1980 versions already lol  Not too far from 1970's so hopefully OK.

I just got my Little Dot I+ today so just reading up on tubes.

Thanks for your help.

Was looking at op amp upgrades too but the difference seems to be very subtle so might just stick to stock for now.

Jan 17, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #2,481 of 3,154

Ah righto, I've actually ordered the 1980 versions already lol  Not too far from 1970's so hopefully OK.

Thanks for your help.

Was looking at op amp upgrades too but the difference seems to be very subtle so might just stick to stock for now.

Yep, try to get matched pairs due to possible channel balance issues.  Also, matched pairs may or may not really be matched.  Look carefully at the specs (they should list them).  Some are just date matched.

Jan 17, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #2,484 of 3,154

Thanks for your help.

If anything get the OPA2107 op-amp, I heard you could get them free from texas instruments, I don't know how exactly because I bought a used ld 1+ that came with them. But I'm upgrading mine to the burson v5 discrete op-amp because I hear everyone raving about them. Just waiting for them to come in the mail as they shipped from Australia.

Jan 17, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #2,485 of 3,154
And I disagree. I never purchase matched pairs. IMHO, it is waste of money. After all most of the tubes available for the LD amps are brand new. What is important is to make sure that both tubes were manufactured by the same company around the same time and have the exact same construction.

Jan 17, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #2,486 of 3,154
  And I disagree. I never purchase matched pairs. IMHO, it is waste of money. After all most of the tubes available for the LD amps are brand new. What is important is to make sure that both tubes were manufactured by the same company around the same time and have the exact same construction.

Buying a matched pair from someone like Yenaudio might be a waste of money, but buying from someone in the old USSR isn't expensive :)

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #2,487 of 3,154

Yep, try to get matched pairs due to possible channel balance issues.  Also, matched pairs may or may not really be matched.  Look carefully at the specs (they should list them).  Some are just date matched.

I agree that, for the most part, matched pairs are a waste of money.  It is unlikely that non-matched pairs will show any noticeable disparity in performance to the human ear, so long as they are produced around the same time and in the same factory process.   Fear, uncertainty and doubt (FUD) are great marketing tools.

My 6ZH1P-EVs were ordered from a Moscow seller.  They were not advertised as matched and they sound great in my LD1+

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #2,488 of 3,154
With others saying there are fake muses 02 out there, would anyone know if this is legit?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B086ZTQ?colid=2ZO3U2NKSKWCV&coliid=I34INO5GJERP9&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #2,489 of 3,154

I agree that, for the most part, matched pairs are a waste of money.  It is unlikely that non-matched pairs will show any noticeable disparity in performance to the human ear, so long as they are produced around the same time and in the same factory process.   Fear, uncertainty and doubt (FUD) are great marketing tools.

My 6ZH1P-EVs were ordered from a Moscow seller.  They were not advertised as matched and they sound great in my LD1+

Does the fact that the I+ is a hybrid have anything to do with the need/un-need for matched pair?

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #2,490 of 3,154
The LD1+ is a hybrid amp simply means it uses tubes for its front-end and semi-conductors for the power stage.  This has nothing related to the necessity for matched pairs.
Matched pairs are not required in this amp!  
Enjoy this little big amplifier with the rest of us!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back