Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Jun 29, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #1,471 of 3,154
With the help of Gibosi, I ordered a pair of 6BE6 valves and although I had some initial problems with one buzzing, I noticed a reasonable difference in openness and bass response. I'm sure it also depends on you headphones and mine (Q701) as kinda known as being a little "bass light" and although the 6BE6's didn't give me thundering bass, I definitely noticed a thicker sound without loosing clarity in that region. Everyone here will definitely put you in the right direction, I am new to this so cant offer much more.

Jun 29, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #1,472 of 3,154
Quote:
Ive just done my first upgrade from the stock  6J1 tubes to the M8100 tubes , and theres no difference whatsoever ?? so that was a waste of time and money ,  are there any tubes that actually do improve/change the sound over stock tubes ? 

I noticed a significant difference in going from the stock 6J1 to the M8100, but then, everyone has different ears and different gear. :)  As both the 6J1 and the M8100 are EF 95  tubes, it might be worth your while to change to another family of tubes, for example, the EF 91 or EF 92.

Or if you are willing to use non-traditional tubes, but still plug and play, 6GM6 and 6GY6 (set your LD for EF 92) are inexpensive and quite good. Also, 6BE6, 6BY6 and 6CS6 (set your LD for EF 95) are also inexpensive and quite good.

My current favorites among these are the 6BE6, 6BY6 and 6CS6. But again, everyone has different ears and different gear. As one of my colleagues notes, tubes are a lot like ice cream: The only way to learn which flavors are your favorites is to taste them all and then decide. :)

Happy tube rolling!

Jun 30, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #1,473 of 3,154
Quote:

I noticed a significant difference in going from the stock 6J1 to the M8100, but then, everyone has different ears and different gear. :)  As both the 6J1 and the M8100 are EF 95  tubes, it might be worth your while to change to another family of tubes, for example, the EF 91 or EF 92.

Or if you are willing to use non-traditional tubes, but still plug and play, 6GM6 and 6GY6 (set your LD for EF 92) are inexpensive and quite good. Also, 6BE6, 6BY6 and 6CS6 (set your LD for EF 95) are also inexpensive and quite good.

My current favorites among these are the 6BE6, 6BY6 and 6CS6. But again, everyone has different ears and different gear. As one of my colleagues notes, tubes are a lot like ice cream: The only way to learn which flavors are your favorites is to taste them all and then decide. :)

Happy tube rolling!

Hi thanks for the great info and advice , yes maybe i'll try a different family of tubes , ive looked up the non-traditional tubes you mentioned , i didnt even know i could use these , so thanks for that info , but im struggling to find them here in the UK ?

Jun 30, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #1,474 of 3,154
Quote:
Hi thanks for the great info and advice , yes maybe i'll try a different family of tubes , ive looked up the non-traditional tubes you mentioned , i didnt even know i could use these , so thanks for that info , but im struggling to find them here in the UK ?

Yes, you may have to purchase some of these tubes from vendors in other countries. If you search for an item on eBay.co.uk, notice that on the left that you can choose location. Select "worldwide" and see if you can find some with low shipping costs. There are no European equivalents for the 6GM6 and 6GY6, but there are for the others.

6BE6 = EK90 and CV4012. (However, I found the Brimar CV4012 not worth the money). You can also search for this tube using the industrial version number, 5760.
6BY6 = EH900S, EH960, EH91H. And the industrial version numbers are 5915 and 6687
6CS6 = EH90. There are no other version numbers.

Good luck!

Jun 30, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #1,475 of 3,154
I have decided to get the Little Dot 1+

Without reading this whole thread, can someone suggest some nice tubes and opamp that would suit me well for my taste in general.

At least give me a decent starting point

I will be mainly using my RS1i and listen to mostly rock and classic rock.....may use my q701 at times.....but mainly the RS1i

Thanks for any help....it will be greatly appreciated.

Jun 30, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #1,476 of 3,154
Quote:

Without reading this whole thread, can someone suggest some nice tubes and opamp that would suit me well for my taste in general.

At least give me a decent starting point

I will be mainly using my RS1i and listen to mostly rock and classic rock.....may use my q701 at times.....but mainly the RS1i

Thanks for any help....it will be greatly appreciated.

To be honest , id stick with the stock set up for a month or so , so you get to know the signature sound , this is what i did , the stock sound is fantastic anyway :) 

Jun 30, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #1,477 of 3,154
Quote:

Yes, you may have to purchase some of these tubes from vendors in other countries. If you search for an item on eBay.co.uk, notice that on the left that you can choose location. Select "worldwide" and see if you can find some with low shipping costs. There are no European equivalents for the 6GM6 and 6GY6, but there are for the others.

6BE6 = EK90 and CV4012. (However, I found the Brimar CV4012 not worth the money). You can also search for this tube using the industrial version number, 5760.
6BY6 = EH900S, EH960, EH91H. And the industrial version numbers are 5915 and 6687
6CS6 = EH90. There are no other version numbers.

Good luck!

Many thanks again , i'll check that out :)

Jun 30, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #1,478 of 3,154
Quote:

[size=x-small]It's a great little amp and I don't think you will regret your decision. And Mrlimbo's advice is wise. Live with the stock tubes and op amp for awhile. You might very well decide that it suits you very well.[/size]

[size=x-small]Otherwise, the OPA2107 op amp is a very popular choice in this thread. For tubes, I suggest trying another[/size] 6AK5. The Mullard M8100 / CV4010 and Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV are at the top of most recommended lists. The Mullard can be a bit pricey, so the Voskhod might be a better first choice. And if one of these tubes does't suit you, there are many other choices.

Good luck!

Jun 30, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #1,479 of 3,154
Quote:
[size=x-small]It's a great little amp and I don't think you will regret your decision. And Mrlimbo's advice is wise. Live with the stock tubes and op amp for awhile. You might very well decide that it suits you very well.[/size]

[size=x-small]Otherwise, the OPA2107 op amp is a very popular choice in this thread. For tubes, I suggest trying another[/size] 6AK5. The Mullard M8100 / CV4010 and Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV are at the top of most recommended lists. The Mullard can be a bit pricey, so the Voskhod might be a better first choice. And if one of these tubes does't suit you, there are many other choices.

Good luck!

Thank you very much...it is much appreciated.

Jun 30, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #1,480 of 3,154
just posted a very efficient way to clean tube pins in another thread, but maybe some of the tube rolling thread members are interested in my solution, so just crossposting the link here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632518/analog-paper-2-discussion-and-appreciation-thread/630#post_9573905

Jul 3, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #1,481 of 3,154
Quote:

Good luck!

Wherever I've looked the Mullards are half the price of the Voshkods. Where can the Voshkods be bought cheap?

Jul 3, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #1,482 of 3,154
I bought two pair from this vendor:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130436695928&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

$3 / pair, plus $12 shipping to the US. (I can't imagine that shipping to England would be more expensive?)  Incidentally, buying "matched" tubes would be a huge waste of money.

Edit: 6ZH1P-EV = 6J1P-EV. And what is important is the "EV" which signifies the highest quality Russian tubes.

Jul 3, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #1,484 of 3,154
Quote:
I bought two pair from this vendor:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130436695928&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

$3 / pair, plus $12 shipping to the US. (I can't imagine that shipping to England would be more expensive?)  Incidentally, buying "matched" tubes would be a huge waste of money.

Edit: 6ZH1P-EV = 6J1P-EV. And what is important is the "EV" which signifies the highest quality Russian tubes.

Ah great spot ,ive just ordered a pair , thank you for the info :)

I bought a pair of these CV4015 i spotted for £3.99 each , worth a punt i thought !!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350820882072?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Users who are viewing this thread

Back