Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
May 28, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #1,441 of 3,154
Quote:
Got my Voskhod gold today and one of them hums\buzzes. I cleaned the pins but it still make a buzzing sound. I swapped them over and the buzz followed the tube, it also is brighter than the other....is it done or does it need to burn in?

Some tubes need as much as 50  hours to completely burn in. However, typically, 20 to 30 hours is usually enough. And then, if they are still noisy, get back to the vendor.

May 28, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #1,443 of 3,154
I contacted the seller and they instantly gave me refund. I reordered a matched set of the same but made in 1972...the previous were made in 1960. Shame really, the bottom end really picked up with my Q701's

May 28, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #1,444 of 3,154
Quote:
Not likely.  Something is wrong with that tube and I don't think it's going to get better.  For whatever burn in might or might not do, it's not going to fix that kind of issue.

Evidently, you and I have had different experiences. Just recently, I plugged in a pair of JRC 5915 (6BY6), dated 1963, (using the EF92 jumpers) and it took about 20 hours for them to settle down. They are now extremely quiet. 

May 28, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #1,445 of 3,154
It's the "burning brighter" comment that leads me to believe that there is an issue with that tube.  That is not likely to "settle down".

In my experience I'd put it on my tube tester, but I didn't see that as an option here.  Better to take a conservative approach than damage an amp if the tube fails catastrophically.  That said, it's just the interweb, he can take or leave advice.

May 28, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #1,447 of 3,154
Quote:
It's the "burning brighter" comment that leads me to believe that there is an issue with that tube.  That is not likely to "settle down".

I have a number of tubes where one is slightly brighter than the other, so that may or may not be significant. But of course, I haven't seen or heard his tubes, and it may very well be that he has a dud. There is no way I can know.....

All I am suggesting is to burn in them for awhile and see what happens. Most vendors are very reasonable about refunds and/or replacements, so burning them in for a day, or so, shouldn't be a problem. Even though he has another pair coming, I would still suggest he try burning them in, again, to see if it is truly a dud, or if it just needs some time to settle down.

Cheers

May 28, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #1,448 of 3,154
Quote:
did yours have a buzzing problem also?

Yes, I have had a number of tubes that buzzed and hummed. And in nearly every case, a long burn-in solved the problem. That said, I have had a number of duds. I couple months ago, I received 4 Russian 6AU6. All 4 were noisy and after burning all 4 of them in for 30 hours, they were still no better than when I started.... :frowning2:

So it doesn't always work....   but burning-in is cheap and easy, so it is always worth a try, IMHO...

May 28, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #1,450 of 3,154
Quote:
do i have to have music playing through the amp or can I just leave it on?

No, you do not have to have music running through it. However, I usually run it at a low volume because I like to check every once in awhile to make sure the tube is still working and to see if the tube is getting quieter.

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #1,451 of 3,154
I am looking for tubes that will give me the lowest\warmest\fullest bass response with my little dot 1+. I am using AKG Q701's with an ipod & LOD. I do love the sound but the top end seems a little overly bright and although the bass is clear and detailed, I would like it to be a little fuller and forward (I am not a bass head...I don't think)
I am currently running the stock tubes with a 2107 op amp but have some VOSKHOD 6j1p's coming in a week or so.

Thanks everyone.

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #1,452 of 3,154
I would recommend a pair of Tung-Sol 6BE6. (Set your LD in the EF95 setting). These have the low/warm/full bass you are looking for, well articulated and punchy. Further, the treble is extended, refined and well resolved, but not overly bright. The mids are rather sweet, round and clean. These tubes are very quiet and detailed, with a wide sound stage and excellent imaging,

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #1,454 of 3,154
Quote:
Thanks, do they have to be Tung-Sol or will another manufacturer be as good?

One of the top-rated 6BE6 is the Siemens EK90 (European designation for the 6BE6), but they are a bit more expensive and harder to find. The GE military version, JG 5760/6BE6W, is more affordable and also very good. Others have reported the Sylvania Gold Brand 5750/6BE6 as being very good. As the American versions are relatively cheap, I would encourage you to get a couple different brands to see what you think. And then, if you really like the sound signature of this tube, it might be worthwhile to seek out the more expensive European brands, such as the Siemens and Telefunken EK90 and the British military version, CV4012.

Happy tube rolling! :)

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #1,455 of 3,154
Thanks for everything....I'm now on a search
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back